CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caddy entry pads coming off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MdntTrain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Caddy entry pads coming off. Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that just inside a CED caddy (carrier), there's these two strip pads running the length that catch dust off the disc, and that with some discs, they are beginning to come off because the foam behind them has deteriorated?

The foam seems to deteriorate into a gooey substance which if it gets on the disc would seem to be detrimental to performance... plus a nuisance to clean.

I've had the strips fall out completely with one disc, leaving a mess of foam bits inside the caddy. I had no choice but to fill the caddy with water several times and empty it out to flush. Then regluing the strips back in. A real pain in the kazoo.

~ J
RT9342

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that seems to be a problem. Funny, I don't ever remember any of my old discs that I lost to a flood in 1998 ever having that problem, but discs that I've aquired afterwards have started doing that in the last few years. Maybe the material only lasts about 25 years or so. I've seen some just come out without leaving a mess, but others don't come out so clean. It appears that at least 2 different materials were used at different times to make those strips. I guess the best thing is just to pull them out if they come loose.....and try to clean all the mess that may be left behind. It puts the discs at more risk of damage.....but remember, they're over 25 years old and probably weren't intended to last that long. I guess they got to wear out sometime. But if you're careful with how you handle the discs, they probably won't be damaged by the lack of the strips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: