CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record Store Closes - a Little CED-related

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Record Store Closes - a Little CED-related Reply with quote

This has been a fairly big local news story here in Portland - the impending closure of the venerable Music Millennium record store. This store used to sell CED's, although I haven't seen any there in years. But it has always been a good place to buy obscure vinyl LP's. Here's an article containing an interview with Terry Currier, the long-term owner:

http://publicbroadcasting.net/opb/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1115137

The interview is interesting as it delves into things like analog vs. digital and the advantages of large cover art.

--Tom Howe
Caroline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe, especially in the Netherlands and Germany, the vinyl sales
figures are climbing and climbing.
Some small music stores have even dropped all cds, because of a low profit
margin, and they sell vinyl only.

We have quite a lot of new - even mainstream - productions, who are released on LP.
( Some even made it into the charts, like the "Beatles Love" LP
or the "Elvis No.1" LP )
RT9342

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So records are making a comeback in Europe too? I noticed that in Austin, TX, there's a record store that has a new vinyl section, though the last time I went, it wasn't as good as it used to be. There's another record store near my college that has some new vinyl, but not much. You can find it on eBay, though - I got a record of one of my brother's former bands on eBay - it was pretty cool hearing my brother play bass on my turntable. It's sad though to hear about a good record store (that carries CEDs as well) close down. Here in the Austin / San Antonio area, we have a used book store chain that carries a lot of used vinyl and laserdiscs, and occasionally some locations will get an entire CED collection from someone. I see CEDs in the thrift stores now and then as well, but those usually have cracked caddies with soda stains and other stains that I don't even want to know what they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: