CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the average age of people in this forum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a very old 30, but my mom says I'm handsome.
Rockin the SJT400! Some dude gave me a lot of discs
I thought he said laserdiscs, he did not. Found a player, now I am
collecting. Love the format!!! Any technology you can work on yourself
is worth having.
MJCARON

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Average age? Reply with quote

Whats really funny is that I have never heard of this type of player or movie and I am 53. But after finding a player and CED's I just love it. Thxs.

Ron Rendfeld
Indianapolis IN[/quote]
negative1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: _age_ Reply with quote

i heard about CED players about 10 years ago,
still prefer laserdiscs though (i have DVD's,
but HD DVD is ok, not bluray)..

i got my first player (rca sft100) about 2 months,
along with the star wars trilogy.. the player is
very quirky/cranky/ and finicky though..

later
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: what is the average age of people in this forum Reply with quote

i'm 67 and was an early adoptor being i was working for a tv store at the time. i purchased new an SFT100. i also have aquired a used SGT250. love em both.
analog.tv

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 52....found a half-dead player and three banana boxes of videodiscs at a church auction---no buyers so they suggested I take the lot home with me. That was around 1995. Now they fill the wall upstairs, and I do watch titles from time to time. Literally probably most of a ton.
Spirantho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still 21 but I've been that age for 11 years now instead of 9...
aperh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 20 and, as this is my first post, hello everybody. I've been into CEDs for about a year now. I collect vinyl and something about grooved vinyl video discs just tickles my fancy =D It's good to be here.
jordie8472

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 21 and I remember watching CEDs at my grandma's back in the early EARLY 90s. Good times! Figured I'd make use of the old discs and be nostalgic Smile
forcefivefan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 33 going on 34 in Oct. Can't believe I'll be 35 next year. Been into CEDs since 1992 when I was in high school.
BlarJotunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 20. I believe that unique formats cannot be superior to one another and enjoy as many as I can get my hands on. So far the only CED I've experienced is the first couple minutes of The Hobbit while troubleshooting my player, but it was a truly magical couple minutes...
CEDcollector27

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 25 and i just recently discovered ced but i also collect game consoles and other vintage electronics/computers. Smile
matt carr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 24. My uncle had a ced player at his house and a bunch of ceds. Later his house burned and most of the discs were sold at a garage sale. I rescued a few of them. I have recently found a realistic player in a radio shack that was closing its doors. Replaced the belts and it works great.
Caroline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 years. Quite a lot of CED fans are even younger.
And I thought before, that the average CED collector is at least 60. Wink
betamax75

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 38 and had been a CED collector for 3 years. I do remember when it came out in 1981 and ended in 1986.
duckie909

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is the average age of people in this forum? Reply with quote

I'm 32 years old. My first experience with CED was at my Aunt's house. They got a big screen RCA TV and the S100W to complement it. I remember many visits watching Grease, Singing in the Rain, and Mary Poppins! I know I am personally responsible for most, if not all, the skips in Grease! lol! Back in 1998, I picked my very first player at a rummage sale. A pristine G075 with 5 movies for one dollar!!! Then in 2005 I became more of a collector and hobbyist with the acquisition of a J400 in the original box! I was only the second owner! I currently have 250 to 300 movies and 3 players in my personal collection: G200, G250, K400 preproduction model. Here is my reasoning for only these 3. The G200 because it is the highest featured model, stereo, that still has the load lever. The G250 because it has stereo and remote but also it kind of a hybrid between the two generation in that it has the automatic load door yet you still have to 100% manually load. The K400 preproduction model because even though there are color variation and the addition or subtraction of features between the j/k lines the players look all the same. This player came to me from good friend and fellow hobbyist, and, though it is quirky at times, it has served me well. Also, it has the most features of the CED offerings.
Now I service/repair/sell players to help others enjoy the magic I have found through Selectavision. Thanks for indulging me for a few minutes.
Sincerely,
Howard
the_ersk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm between the ages of consent and collapse! Actually 11 going on 70 (or the other way round). I came across CED on eBay - and bid for a lot just out of interest and didn't get it. Then the guy who bought it got in touch - he'd thought they were LDs - he paid £40, so I gave him £41 and got 3 players and 148 discs!! With some help from a Sky installer I got two out of three working, kept one and gave the others to the Sky guy. I had stylii cleaned by CEDatum and sold the dupe disks and ones I didn't fancy for between 50p and £1 each. I play thru one of two Video projectors and put the sound thru my Dolby kit. I like CED a lot, and am very impressed by the quality of both pic and audio. I keep everything in the cinema in my garden - along with LDs, VHS, 8mm video, DVD and - of course 35mm, 16mm, Std 8 and Super/Single 8, and 9.5 proper film!
Cheers, David E
Matlab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so far I am the oldest at 63. I help Pab Datta formula the CED at RCA, Princeton. Funny, I was one of the youngest on the team.
Roy
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: age Reply with quote

i'm 68 and was a tech for a rca/zenith dealer at the time CED players came out.
our rca school diploma was all we needed to be zenith authorized.

not too many machines came in for us to repair being the distributor wanted
rca service co. to repair them and the new toy at the time,the vcr.
but when we did get to see one 3 or 4 chips would be fried when the 5 volt regulator shorted. there was no crow bar protection then.
barry
Kennyken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Age of CED collectors Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm 40 years old myself. I started collecting CEDs when I was a teenager. Not too long after I started, RCA discontinued them. It wasn't until the popular use of the internet and the lovely Tom Howe did I start up again. Now I have 5 working players and over 600 discs in my possesion. I just had a 1980's film fest at my house the other night. Including: Footloose, Ghostbusters, War Games and Max Dugan Returns. My friends loved it ( they are younger than me ).
What's your fave 80's CED???
Put up a post and let us know.
Ced's RoCk !! Laughing
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Age of CED collectors Reply with quote

Kennyken wrote:
...I just had a 1980's film fest at my house the other night. Including: Footloose, Ghostbusters, War Games and Max Dugan Returns. My friends loved it ( they are younger than me )...

I don't own a CED player but am interested in the history of video technology. Too bad I'm 3000 miles away from you. I would love to have attended your 1980s film festival! Did you use a tube TV or an HDTV?
BTW, I'm 53 years old.
ancientformats

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: 31 till August Reply with quote

Yep, You nailed it. Must be a generation of nostalgic collectors. I also like records, video games and 80's toys.
Kennyken

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: 80's film festival Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Kennyken wrote:
...I just had a 1980's film fest at my house the other night. Including: Footloose, Ghostbusters, War Games and Max Dugan Returns. My friends loved it ( they are younger than me )...

I don't own a CED player but am interested in the history of video technology. Too bad I'm 3000 miles away from you. I would love to have attended your 1980s film festival! Did you use a tube TV or an HDTV?
BTW, I'm 53 years old.

Hey Dan. Sorry for getting back to you so late. I used my older Hitachi 42" tube tv for the film festival.
I'm having another festival soon! This one's going to be a Horror festival with one twist. Every time a disc skips, you MUST take a shot of whatever booze is on hand. You gotta find some humour in something that's kinda annoying.
So you're invited Dan in case you're in Vancouver @ the time!!!
Ken Laughing
Silverht

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 44. I met my first CED just this year. (Yeah a 40something virgin)
Now I have 3 and probably will have 4 more before the summer is over.

My collection has:
SGT 250 (rebuilding)
SFT 100 W (parts)
SJT 090 (rebuilding)
and
79 Titles

Jon Nailor
Nailor Services
Evart, MI
Nokes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this is my first post on this forum, and I'm probably the youngest member at 17
sgtpppr84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 26 and started collecting about a year and a half ago. I have a SGT-250 player and 322 titles that I purchased in 2 collections.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 54 and I have always LOVED this format of entertainment. I bought my player in 1982, it was the first stereo player with a remote. It has a slanted front. I think the number was 250, but I'm not sure. If someone could enlighten me on it, I'd be greatful. Anyway I kept my player until aobut 1985. I had about 30-40 movies. I am trying to find a player that I can afford to get back into it.
SKT-100
lostnorm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be 45 in November, I bought my SGT250 about 3 years ago.
Sadly it is not working properly at the moment, hoping a new belt will get it going again! I just recently registered here because of my problem and I am here to stay!
I just Love Old Electronics, also collect Laserdisc and VHS. My favorite haunt in Indianapolis is Half-Priced Books, I have found most of my CEDs & Laserdiscs there.

Thanks,
lostnorm
poule924

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm 33 and i'm French.
Sorry for my poor english!!
I have RCA SJT300 and hitachi VIP201P
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi poule!

Welcome to ced magic! Very cool to see someone from France using ced players! I see you have an NTSC and a PAL player! What one do you like more?

Don't worry about language barrier, google translate can help a lot!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow neat topic, im 27 and i came across ced by accident. it was a pretty happy one too i have almost 200 discs and 2 players currently
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: