CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the average age of people in this forum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: What is the average age of people in this forum? Reply with quote

I'm curious, I am a member of several vintage electronic forums, and most forums the average age is 30 something, is that true here as well? Or are CED enthusiasts a bit older? I'm turning 39 in August.
Reinhart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is the average age of people in this forum? Reply with quote

Gunstar wrote:
I'm curious, I am a member of several vintage electronic forums, and most forums the average age is 30 something, is that true here as well? Or are CED enthusiasts a bit older? I'm turning 39 in August.

25, turning 26 on the 24th of July this year. - Reinhart
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An edit, as my old answer is no longer true:

I was born in 1974, which made me 33 at the time that this thread began, but that number now looks strange whenever this topic rises to the surface!

So I leave the math to you.

Last edited by 7jlong on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Wester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 until Nov.
duckie909

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be correct. I'm 30 Smile
rsrendfeld

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Average age? Reply with quote

I'm 56
To me CED collecting is an exercise in nostalgia for a future that didn't happen. (I suspect the Germans have a word for it.)
A SKT400 and a shelf full of VideoDiscs would look right at home in any "Home of the Future" designed in 1966.

Ron Rendfeld
Indianapolis IN
Spirantho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 21. I have been for the last 9 years.....
Gunstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirantho wrote:
I'm 21. I have been for the last 9 years.....

I didn't think Ian was a girls name... Razz
Spirantho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.. it's not. but living in Aberystwyth I know far too many students to call myself 30. Smile

I just refuse to grow and live a real life. Smile
brother

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Im forty something but reached the age that i cant remember my age
Gunstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirantho wrote:
I just refuse to grow and live a real life. Smile

at 39 I'm still living basically the same I did at 19 and 29, except I drink and smoke less and started my own business, other than that, I'm still in my 20's in my mind. My dreams are all still of the young college woman I went to school with and I'm still twenty something in my dreams too. It's hard to believe how fast the last 20 years went by...I was young one day, the next I woke up and was suddenly becoming middle aged. My interests are still all the same as 15-20 years ago. maybe that's the way it is with all bachelors, I don't know, maybe you only feel old once you get married and start a family, again, I don't know.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be 35 in September. I remember when home video was a brand-new thing, as soon as I heard what a VCR was I wanted one right away, but my parents didn't get one til 1985. That videodisc commercial with the girl saying "Hello Charlie Brown!" made me REALLY want a videodisc player so I could watch those movies all the time. I've made up for lost time by now, having several VCRs, a couple old and new laserdisc players, and of course CED players and just about every title that was put out on the format!

It's weird hearing about people collecting video equipment that is older than they are! I have a couple Cartrivision decks that are about as old as I am (this was the first consumer video format that came out in 1972 and didn't last very long) but I can't get them to work; when I get some money I'll have to pay someone to come over and look at them- anybody here know how to fix them?
megalon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Aberystwyth Reply with quote

[quote="Spirantho"]Heh.. it's not. but living in Aberystwyth I know far too many students to call myself 30. Smile

Aberystwyth now that is a city I haven't heard in almost 30 years. I lived in Sweden and Norway in the late 70s. Took a two week tour of Merrye Olde. Aberystwyth was one of my stops. Stayed at a B&B right on the beach. Toured the ruins, walked the town. Great place.

Oh, by the way, I'm 60 and collecting!
Spirantho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'City'? It's not that big. Smile And it hasn't changed at all, really. Which is good as it means it's still mostly safe to walk around without fear of being mugged or blown up or something like the rest of the world seems to have.

On the other hand I do think I'm the only person in the entire town to own any CEDs... which does have the advantage of being a great talking point but you can forget about finding any good CEDs in charity shops....!
RT9342

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the average age, but since everyone's posting their age, I'll post mine too - maybe we can come up with an average. I'm currently 28, almost 29. I've been watching CEDs since I was a little kid - my parents and granparents both had SFT-100's and tons of discs.
SRSanford10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Forum member ages Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm on the high side of the average at 63. I'm still going along to learn the CED technology and occasionally enjoy my discs, particularly some of the music video ones which may not be easily available now.
Matlab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61. I was one of the youngesters on the VideoDisc project at the Princeton Lab.
mnallard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 33 years young. Married, but still keep my mind young by finding any video/audio player in need of fixing. My wife doesn't like my hobby, but it's what I enjoy doing. And I try not to let the downs of life get to me.

CEDs were first in my family...followed by VHS. I now have 2 CEDs, 4 VCRs, a Pioneer Industrial LaserDisc player & 2 DVD players. CEDs seem to grab my attention the most. I'm a RCA fan.
jimj_wpg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 41.

I was first introduced to CED technology when the Scholastic News December 1975 edition (I was in Grade 4 at the time) had a front page story about the EM-1 unit and what it could do.

Years later I read the March 1981 edition of VIDEO magazine and they reviewed the SFT-100W CED player.

Woolco store close to our home had a VideoDisc kiosk that played the 1981 demo disc.

I also used to go to The Bay in downtown Winnipeg in '81 and '82 (high school years) and play around with the machines. They had the 1981 and later the 1982 Stereo demo disc, as well as a couple of movies.

One afternoon, after reading in a video magazine on how to open up a CED caddy, I opened one up at The Bay (when no one was looking).

I wasn't making enough $ to buy a machine at the time, but we rented a few movies from Video Centre (Kenaston Village Mall). They also sold LaserDisc players and movies, satellite tv equipment, portable cameras and recorders, VCRs, etc... They went out of business when Future Shop opened up in the late 80s.

My first VCR was a VKT295 which cost me $500 in 1987. By that time RCA had cancelled the CED format so I was kinda wary of buying one at the time...

But... and there's always a but...

I came across an SGT-200 while looking around at the local flea market this past July, and have been searching out places I can buy them... I've found one of the local ValueVillage stores seems to have them, and also a Salvation Army Thrift Store, and of course eBay.

Like MNallard says, I like RCA stuff, ever since '74 when I bought a portable RCA record player with over 100 45 RPM discs for $1 at a rummage sale.
RobSS1113

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled this thread out from hidding..!

I am 33 yrs old. I Love old stuff.! Cars, Players, anything. I took our old rca player and brought it home. It did not work and I got it to work again. I still had one of the original disc my parents owned "airplane" !!
pamperchu

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 19
TheLaserdisc

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 34
virus202

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 36, but started collecting when I was 27.
death69inc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: age Reply with quote

32 here
83montlvr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 35 until July 6
cbertra2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 55. Had my first ced player 1982 before I had a VCR.
tvictordavis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 52.
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m 17
joelmagyar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Average age Reply with quote

I'm 67. Bought mt first CED player in 1982.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: