CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mother Nature Can Be Cruel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnallard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Mother Nature Can Be Cruel Reply with quote

Hey everybody! I'e been away again. Mother nature took out all of my computer equipment back in 9/2006. The surge protector I had failed...and the manufacturer has refused to replace my equipment. I'm not completely back yet...I'm currently using a friend's computer but hope to be back online by the beginning of next year.

If anyone has placed an order on my website...I sincerely appologize for the inconvenience. There was no way I could check on it. ALL orders placed are now being mailed out. Again...I'm sorry for the delay.
Fortunately, all of my CED stuff was stored at the time or they might have been lost as well.

It's good to be somewhat back and I look forward to hearing from you all again.
Wester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, sorry to hear about the equipment damage.
RT9342

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how evil nature can be. I've had my share of lightning damage, and some of you probably know from my other posts about how I lost over 150 CED discs in a flood; they were all damaged too badly to be cleaned and played again, and ended up being burned by the city, along with tons and tons of other flood-damaged items from the whole community.
Reinhart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, surge suppressors have their limits on how well they can protect your equipment. They can be good at protecting from power spikes but none of them can stand up to a lightning strike unless they are equipped with a lightning arrestor, and even then that can be iffy.

And, on top of this, surge suppressors do wear out over time, so they will gradually lose their ability to protect your equipment.

Basically, you do have to replace surge suppressors periodically and when a storm threatens, you might have to consider unplugging critical equipment from electrical, phone, and cable connections to completely isolate them from any and all avenues of entry for lightning, both direct and indirect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: