CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenith player won't shut off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Zenith player won't shut off Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Zenith VP2000 that I picked up at Goodwill.
It plays movies just fine, but my problem is that it doesn't shut off. I have to unplug it each time.
The large switch on the right is giving me trouble. After I load a CED, placing the switch in the "PLAY" position does nothing. Only after I switch it to "OFF" does the movie begin. If "Off" is really "Play", then I have no way to turn off the power.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for your Time!
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Zenith player won't shut off Reply with quote

Brent:

Here's a fix for your problem. More of these can be found on the Repair Solutions page:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html

--Tom Howe

Player Category: F/G Chassis
Fault: Misaligned Function Lever Cams

Symptom(s):
The player will not turn off with the function lever in the OFF position and may actually play discs with the lever at OFF but not at PLAY.

Solution(s):
Sometimes F/G players found in thrift stores will play with the function lever in the OFF position, but not in the PLAY position. This is due to a cam misalignment. The way this usually happens is someone unfamiliar with CED loads a caddy into the player leaving the caddy pushed all the way into the player in the mistaken belief that the player works that way. When the function lever is then forcefully switched from LOAD/UNLOAD to PLAY the cams on the function shaft become misaligned. When CED was first introduced, dealers quickly learned they had to avoid unsupervised customer use of the players to prevent this problem from happening. To fix this you need to remove the player cover and use a 0.050" hex key to loosen and realign the two cams, which are located under the turntable to the left of the function lever (don't confuse these with the cams right next to the function lever that are not under the turntable. The left cam controls switch S4 (AC Play) and the right cam switch S2 (AC Power). Adjust the S2 cam so S2 is "off" in OFF and "on" in PLAY. Adjust the S4 cam so S4 is "on" in PLAY and "off" in LOAD/UNLOAD. The function lever elbow behind the function lever should also be inspected for damage.
Brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I found the two cams, it took me awhile to find them, and have been trying to get them adjusted.
After a couple of hours the player still only plays movies in the OFF position (of the function lever), but the unit's power will cut out if I lift the lever up past the OFF position.
I guess I need more info on when a switch is "off" and when is it "on"? Should the S2 cam make contact with the S2 switch for it to be "on" or should it not make contact?
At least I didn't break it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: