CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first CED player arrive today, broken! What could it be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: My first CED player arrive today, broken! What could it be? Reply with quote

yes. It arrived today! Extremely well packed in double boxes, but the unit didn't work properly. I starts up an so, but when I insert a disc and it starts spin it up, a terrible sound appears. A VERY strong knocking sound that raise speed (connected to disc speed). And no image (of course). I tried different discs with same negative results.

The model are "RCA SELECTAVISION STEREO CED PLAYER MODEL SJT 200" and has "has a new motor function belt, lubed, and a new needle about 3 months ago" according to the seller.

Not a good start for my CED adventure. Do you guys have ANY idea what could be wrong here!?
CEDatum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: SJT200 with bad knocking sound from player. Reply with quote

Marc,
Assuming the seller shipped you a good working player, the most likely cause of the knocking sound is that the turntable is set too low and it is hitting the player chassis as it rotates. The turntable spindle has broken away from the turntable platter. This could have happened if the player had been dropped during shipment to you.

The fix for this problem is simple. Visit the CEDatum website and look at the 'Tech Tips' page for repair details. Visit: www.cedatum.net

John at CEDatum.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same problem with one of those models, and it only took a small adjustment to correct. It can be a very slight hit on the chassis, but it sounds tremendous. That's a good model, the 200. But pay attention to what you're doing when you make the adjustment.
Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the stores opened after the weekend and I bought the right tools. With a little nervous hands I turn the screw underneath half a round clockwise, and the bad noise was immediate reduce by around 80%. A little more and the player now runs dead silent!

The soft picture I guess i there to stay depending of the format, but the small drop outs maybe can disappear with further small adjustments. Right?

Up and running with CED!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: