CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RCA reused the cases??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: RCA reused the cases?? Reply with quote

As mentioned in another post, I got an SKT-090 with "A View to Kill". Upon inspecting Disc 2, I noticed a big gash in the label.... only to see another lable undernieth of another color! It seems RCA was in the habit of reusing the cases by just slapping a new label over the old one!

From what I can see of the green label underneith: "RRY an" it must be "Harry and son" (listed as "Harry & Son", with the & sign, on the CED list). I guess that movie didn't sell well so RCA decided to reuse the cases for A View To Kill. The label on this is a bit wider than BattleStar Galactica's label so I guess that's why, they had to hide the edges of the "Harry & Sons" label.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did this with most of the later (1985-86) titles- the labels underneath were printed and put on the caddy but the corresponding disc was either never manufactured, or failed its visual inspection and not put in. The labeled caddies were still kept and ended up being used for the last titles.

BTW does anyone have a copy of "Strangers On A Train" that doesn't have another label underneath? I've got 2 copies of this and both of them do; seems odd they would do this with an older movie. The disc is copyrighted 1983 too.
Reinhart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: RCA reused the cases?? Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
As mentioned in another post, I got an SKT-090 with "A View to Kill". Upon inspecting Disc 2, I noticed a big gash in the label.... only to see another lable undernieth of another color! It seems RCA was in the habit of reusing the cases by just slapping a new label over the old one!

From what I can see of the green label underneith: "RRY an" it must be "Harry and son" (listed as "Harry & Son", with the & sign, on the CED list). I guess that movie didn't sell well so RCA decided to reuse the cases for A View To Kill. The label on this is a bit wider than BattleStar Galactica's label so I guess that's why, they had to hide the edges of the "Harry & Sons" label.

This isn't unusual for CED titles from the last couple of years for the format. Some CEDs that I have from this era have the same kind of labeling, too. And, "A View to a Kill" is definitely a title from this later era.

RCA would have leftover caddies for titles, which can be due to things like discs that did not pass QA and, thus, not all the caddies would be used.

Rather than make new caddies, RCA recycled caddies that were already made by applying slightly larger labels over the old labels and loading them with product as usual. This was a way to save costs.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Determining the Title of the Hidden Label Reply with quote

The picture below shows how you can view the hidden label by peeling a small portion of it back far enough to read the UPC underneath:

http://cedmagic.com/misc/hidden-label/hidden-label-upc.jpg

The number can be used with the CED Title Database to determine a probable title. If you have the CD-ROM a color comparison can be done against the picture on the CD.

There is a possibility of finding a Vaporware label underneath, as I've heard RCA produced labeled caddies for "Suspicion" and "Vladimir Horowitz in London" - two titles that were never offered for sale.

Complete instuctions for peeling back labels can be found here:

http://cedmagic.com/misc/hidden-label/hidden-label.html

--Tom Howe
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually found a 'vaporware' label this way? When I started collecting I used to always check the hidden labels, but since the caddies didn't look as nice afterwards I quit doing that. In the pre-internet days it was a good way of finding out what other titles were out there though.
portsnoy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Strangers on a train Reply with quote

My strangers on a train is a virgin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: