CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Scrooge" Side 1 mono, Side 2 stereo, & other

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: "Scrooge" Side 1 mono, Side 2 stereo, & other Reply with quote

I recently found a 2nd copy of "Scrooge" at a thrift store and bought it, since when I watched the copy I have they had mistakenly transferred the sound in mono on side 1, even though the Stereo signal is present (side 2 is in stereo, so it's not just one of those movies that makes very little use of stereo). I just checked the 2nd copy and it has the same problem. Does anyone else have this title and does your copy have the problem also? I'm wondering if this was ever fixed.

The 20th Century Fox Video edition of "West Side Story" has the same problem on Side 3 (again the Stereo indicator lights up, but the sound is clearly in mono), but this was later corrected. A friend of mine actually bought this back when it came out, and was sent a corrected 2nd disc when he complained to the company about it- he still has it along with the flawed one. I have one copy I bought on its own (used of course) which has the same problem; later I bought a large collection of discs which included disc 1 of West Side Story and two of Disc 2, and one of them was in mono and the other was fixed.

The only other title I know of that was re-done was "Secret Of NIMH", which accidentally had a scene cut between sides 1 and 2 on the first pressing, but was put back in on later pressings. I'm still trying to find out if "The Barry Manilow Special" was ever released in true stereo; this also has a stereo signal but the sound is in mono. Since this was made for TV in 1977, it's possible it was only recorded in mono but they labeled the disc as stereo and hoped nobody would notice.
RT9342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wierd - I never seen that before, on CED anyway. I do have an LP (Santana Abraxas - a newly pressed copy) in which side 1 is mono and side 2 is stereo. Oh, and speaking of The Secret of Nimh, what's the easiest way to tell if your copy is the one with the missing scene. I've only watched this movie on my old CED copy, which I no longer have (it was burned in a fire), but I do remember the artwork and was wondering if the corrected copies have diferent artwork.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artwork on Secret Of NIMH is the same on both discs, the corrected version has the added scene at the beginning of side 2- don't remember exactly what it was, but if you look at the actual discs side 2 is clearly longer on the corrected one. (There have been a number of DVDs with technical errors that were later fixed, on most of those they put an "X" or "V.2" next to the barcode on the cover.)

Luckily I've never had a fire anywhere, I guess CEDs don't survive them Sad

Can't imagine listening to "Abraxas" in mono; I've got the DTS CD!
RT9342

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...actually my disc was damaged by flood, along with about 150 others. Then the majority of them were burned with a bunch of other flood junk. Those discs don't work very well with mud, and certainly not after going through a fire. I wish I remember how long the second side was, but all I know is that it was about the same length as side 1, and the first scene on side 2 of my old copy had Jeremy (That was the bird's name, right? Been a while since I've seen it) flying Mrs. Brisby up to see the Great Owl. Oh, and yeah, Abraxas is terrible in mono. I've had someone tell me that I'm the only person who would ever notice that one side was mono instead of stereo - she obviously never heard that album!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: