CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Monty Python & the Holy Grail CED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Question about Monty Python & the Holy Grail CED Reply with quote

Can anyone help me on the following?

I am a monty python collector, and as you probably know (it says so on the site) a lot of monty python and post-python came out on CED. I have only the Hollywood bowl, but that's not why I write here.

In the Holy Grail, there is a scene where a witch is accused. The men around her say "she's got a wart". Now it seems that later on, her reply has been cut from that scene. For no apparent reason I can think of.

Does she reply anything on the CED?

PS Incidentally, if anyone has got monty python or post-MP CED's to spare, let me know. Here's is the list on this site: http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/monty-python-grail.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely someone must have watched this movie sometimes on CED?

On DVD she doesn't reply anything, but I have been told on older formats as betamax etc. she replies 'it's a pimple'.
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently no-one bothers to answer this. Probably people are more busy collecting and talking about techniques than watching what actually is on those discs.
I don't mean this negatively but that's a common phenomenon with colectors of vintage video equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest you post to a forum that obsesses about Monty Python (and believe me, there are plenty) and leave this board to the people that - you guessed it - obsess mainly about CED hardware. There are a few trainspotters here and there, but they are probably busy watching other discs.

Or, in plain English: Your question just isn't that interesting.
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, dear 'guest', since not many people have working CED players it was a simple question for information.
Perhaps not an interesting question, depending on your interest.

On the other hand CED players were not designed so that people could talk forever about certain technical problems and spare parts, they were designed to let people actually watch movies.
So don't act surprised when I dare pose a question about the content of a disc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiny Norman wrote:
So don't act surprised when I dare pose a question about the content of a disc.

Well, dear 'Spiny' (apt, that) - No one was suprised. Rather, my post was in response to the audacity you displayed in pulling a crummy, finger-pointing attitude because no one answered your question, not to mention your thinly-veiled suggestion that the rest of us are just plain silly to work on and tinker with these machines as a hobby rather than comb discs for obsure minutiae.

But since you mentioned it, as these players get older and parts get more and more scarce, users depend on forums such as this for advice on technical problems and spare parts. As the bulk of topics and posts are relating to this (and we all seem to be quite comfortable with that), I think *you've* got the wrong idea, not us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the contrary, I quite understand tinkering with machines, but I have no CED-player to tinker with, but I do work on other equipment.

I got the impression most CED-players were still in active use, but if not I quite understand the appeal of a collection for its own sake.
It was only a small question, this was the best place to ask it.

You seem to be a regular user, posting anonymously only for this occasion.
I can't understand why you bother to reply if you have nothing to add except for your own cowardice and malcontent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I can't understand why you bother to reply if you have nothing to add except for your own cowardice and malcontent.

... our pal "Spiny" admonishes as he posts a reply as a "Guest". By the way, what precisely makes a goofy handle and no profile not 'anonymous'?

This has been thrilling, but it doesn't seem that your question is going to get answered. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
On the contrary, I quite understand tinkering with machines, but I have no CED-player to tinker with, but I do work on other equipment.

I got the impression most CED-players were still in active use, but if not I quite understand the appeal of a collection for its own sake.
It was only a small question, this was the best place to ask it.

Yes, that post was mine.

Quote:
... our pal "Spiny" admonishes as he posts a reply as a "Guest". By the way, what precisely makes a goofy handle and no profile not 'anonymous'?

It was clearly me. Anyone can register and still be unknown, that's true, but it depends wether or not anonimity is simply used to post rude responses. Did it occur to you that if I told you my name you'd still have no idea who I was? It is not the issue here.
Quote:
This has been thrilling, but it doesn't seem that your question is going to get answered. Good luck.

Well at least that's a reasonable and realistic response. Anyway I think I found the answer in another way.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Witch Scene in the Holy Grail Reply with quote

Spiny Norman:

I believe the reason your question went unanswered has to do with your degree of familiarity with this movie and the relative lack thereof amongst members of this forum.

I haven't watched the Holy Grail all the way through since the late 1980's and have no memory of the witch scene or where it is in the movie. So my reaction upon reading your post was to leave it for someone familiar with the scene to answer. But it looks like there's no one on the forum who has this disc and also knows where in the movie this scene takes place.

Now it would be possible to visually search the disc from beginning to end to locate the scene, but CED collectors know this procedure results in groove damage as the diamond stylus is forced to jump across groove ridges instead of smoothly playing the continuous groove. I try to minimize visual search by using the RAPID ACCESS search function on players like the SGT250 to zero in on a particular part of a disc with the stylus lifted off the grooves; or the SEEK function on the SJT400, which likewise keeps the stylus above the grooves, only occasionally dipping it into a groove to sample the digital timing information.

That being said, if you can give me an estimate of how many minutes this scene is into the movie, say to within +/- 10 minutes, I'll take a look at my disc to note the witch's response, if any.

--Tom Howe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer. I am indeed not familiar with the use of discs and I don't know if collectors regularly watch movies on their machines.
The previous comment on my question was also partially right, it is a weird little question. I found the answer on the IMDB:
Quote:
Alternate Versions for Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
On all of the post-"21st Anniversary Edition" all of the film has been cleaned up, also some "waste-of-time"s have been removed completely.
And of course the 24 seconds were already on the CED as you noted yourself.
So it's very simple really and solved. The CED may contain a few seconds more that our now no longer on any new release but nothing really interesting.
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have a little difficulty keeping logged in. That was me.

Incidentally, mr. Howe, I hope you don't mind if I quote your site with a link?
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: RE: Link to Monty Python CED Page Reply with quote

Quote:
Incidentally, mr. Howe, I hope you don't mind if I quote your site with a link?

Yes, I'll be happy to have a link from your site.

--Tom Howe
videodiscer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You guys are funny! I never liked Monty Python though. -Chauncey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: