CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HD DVD vs. Blu-ray Disc, Another Format War?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reinhart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Is it possible to post messages without a nit-picky reply that breaks up another's message into sections, then either reminds us of what was left out, not necessarilly forgotten, or in some way assumes the original poster had a lapse of memory or a faulty recollection? I truly find this style of adding information to be tantamount to rebuttal, and merely a method to express superiority in knowledge.

It might make one feel better about one's self, but it seems to be not really the best way to handle a discourse when one wants to make a considered valid point without having it appear too personal, frankly. I feel that a poster can make points very easily by simply recording them in a standard paragraph format without a point-by-point examination of another posting. It is very possible that the original poster just did not want to create an extremely lengthy post by including all the tidbits of information seen as left out.

Then how shall I delete my account from here?

I won't participate in any further discussion in the forum then.

It's not my intent to intimidate people and I am hurt that this is what it seems like.

I don't want to interfere with constructive sharing of information.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to cause bad feelings, but please realize that's how others feel when their comments are specifically taken to task bit-by-bit.

I don't think there's any need to stop posting, just that it's considerate to post replies to comments that you think need some sort of clarification or additional information as a full-bodied comment rather than as what appears as merely rebuttal to itemized quotes in a piecemeal manner.

Technical knowledge is a great thing to share, and can be ultimately helpful. It's not so pleasant when it's directed more personally rather than generally, and consequently just seems condescending. That could be unintended certainly, but one never knows the effect until it's mentioned.

Please accept my apologies for any offense, and I hope you continue to post your helpful comments regardless.
Caroline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am not hypersensitive. As a women who has studied electronics,
with 95% male students, I know how to assert myself.
So please all calm down. Dont want to loose anybody here. Wink
Ive no problem with this conversation style.

My Superbeta is a SL-HF-950 ES. I dont know the exact model of my S-VHS, because it is in the attic, with 1000 other things, but it was one of the first JVC models.
From the feeling, I would prefer the Super Beta, especially
when I use the High Grade tapes. Maybe its only a "positive discrimination", dont know, the picture looks sharper as the JVC.

S-VHS was never popular in the Netherlands, almost unknown.
You still can buy beta blank tapes, and a dutch company is even offering
VCC-2000 blank video tapes again, but only very few carry S-VHS.

Back to CED :

When using a new stylus, picture is much better as a VHS vcr from
the 80s ( but cant compete with the superior latest JVC high end models ).

Sadly I dont have a scanner, so I had been able to include a picture of the
strange EURO/German prototype CED Player, that looked different
from the US/UK models.

Ive also had heard many people complaining about the NTSC Laservision
Players. Strangely, the PAL versions were very good. I still have the
first Philips model, that my father had bought. No problem at all.
But a Samsung NTSC model, produced in 1995 (!), is out of order and almost beyond repair.
( Prices for spare parts, especially laser lenses etc. have skyrocketed )
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: A Winner Emerges? Reply with quote

Contrary to Warner's statement back in September 2007 (see the link in my previous post in this topic), the studio has now decided to release exclusively on the Blu-ray format:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/boost-for-blu-ray-warner-bros-will-release-high-def-titles-exclusively-in-that-format/

This gives Blu-ray even more studios than HD-DVD and an estimated 70% market share.

--Tom Howe

Last edited by cedmagic on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Warner announces Blu Ray only Reply with quote

Warner Bros just announced they will be making hi-def DVD's in Blu Ray only, no more HD DVD's. They feel "the future" is Blu Ray.
Caroline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Netherlands, Blue Ray is more popular.
In Germany, more new movies are released on HD-DVD. 80% of the new XXX movie releases are on HD-DVD, only 20% on Blue Ray.
Most video stores there, if they already carry it, offer HD DVD, only very, very few Blue Ray.

I am neiter interested in HD DVD, nor Blue Ray. The movies are too expensive. Most of the movies I like were made before 1980. And it doesnt make sense ( or ? ) to buy "Citizen Kane" on HD.
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:
Most of the movies I like were made before 1980. And it doesnt make sense ( or ? ) to buy "Citizen Kane" on HD.

Huh?

Citizen Kane is widely regarded as being one of the great trailblazing films in terms of camera work. The photography has been consistently celebrated throughout the years. Few films are more deserving of the highest-possible-quality treatment than this one. To me, that includes high definition transfer and archiving. In fact, as the quality of scanning and the price of storage stabilizes, I don't know why they wouldn't go all out on films of this caliber and do exceedingly high quality scans and transfers - if for no other reason than knowing that it's possible.

The history of reproducible mediums has been plagued with statements of "that's as much as anyone will ever need". I've been waiting for HD for years, but am already looking to the future: imagining not just 1080p but resolutions going much higher than that. This is not an unfamiliar concept to most of us. Computer monitors regularly start at a resolution of 1024x768 and keep going higher.

(I don't wish to get into the merits of higher resolutions, as there has been much discussion on this thread about that topic, all good points. However, being a photographer, all I can say is: I can always find a use for extended resolution. There's a reason that the better video cameras have much higher resolution sensors than their output format requires.)

As for the necessity of such a transfer for a film that isn't a big flashy SFX extravaganza - it could be suggested that it is more of a dialog film and therefore it is not necessary to worry about reproduction quality, but frankly I think the exact opposite is true.

We've already lost the original negative of this film (to the problems that plagued film stocks of the day). The prints we do have are already a few generations away from the original and not getting any younger. There are multiple versions of the film out currently on DVD, and I think they can all be improved upon. I would welcome the time, care, and effort it would take to preserve this film - and distribute to interested parties - in the highest quality they can muster.

A frame of 35mm still film is generally (despite much, much controversy) believed to be about 15-20 megapixels worth of information. Let's say that If we extend that outward 1080p translates to about 2 megapixels of information. 35mm motion pictures range in size (usually smaller than still), but let's say that Kane - being shot in Academy ratio - is 1/3 the size, or about 6 megapixels. In theory, there's three times the information in that negative than we're being allowed to see via current HD standards!

The nature of motion images dictates that mirroring the absolute resolution of the film itself may not be necessary due to optical blending and other "adjustments" that our brains make, but I guess the root of my question is: why wouldn't you go with everything you've got, right now? Especially on the Big Films?

Some things are too important to cut corners on. Our deteriorating film history is one of them.
Caroline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Citizen Kane. But the master isnt in High Definition. I have "King Kong" on LaserDisc too, the original master is only moderate minus. On LD, some scenes are sharper, but you also see more scratches etc, that I havent noticed on VHS. I doubt, that this is such a quality improvement, if we watch old movie classics on Blue Ray. Or they have to digitally edit it frame by frame. But this would cost a fortune.
7jlong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I like Citizen Kane too, but if by master you mean an original film print of it, yes, it is miles more detailed than high definition. Again, HD at its finest equals about 2 megapixels of detail. A frame of average 35mm motion picture film has about 5-7 megapixels of detail.

If you are talking about a video master, however, whatever might already exist could be considered irrelevant depending on when the transfer was performed. The transfer is only as good as the technology it was done with at the time (see our very own Selectavision discs for ample evidence of this - and many of them were excellent for the available technology!)

None - I repeat, none - of the available video formats match the depth and detail of an original motion picture print or negative. Is this something we want to save? Or is TV-quality "good enough"? If film wasn't an organic, volatile format (prone to fading, crumbling, burning, and all kinds of other problems) it would be no big deal. But it is. All our old films fall apart a little more every day.

- I love my LaserDiscs, but they are far from any kind of gold standard.

- It is possible that you don't notice subtle image artifacts on VHS because it is a crummy, low resolution format.

- Film restoration is a very, very successful industry and classic films are indeed dealt with on a frame-by-frame basis if the condition of the film calls for it.

- I'm not a resolution junkie. I still have a 13" Sony CRT because I frankly don't want to make any television investments right now. All is well. But perhaps the mistake was in bringing up Citizen Kane. This is a film that we should fight to preserve in the best possible quality. Do I think this is necessary for all films? No. But there are some works of art that should be treated as gold.

Try here for a very brief intro to the topic of the film restoration industry.

I suppose this is all subjective. Some people are happy looking at web galleries of a photographer's work; I'd prefer to go see an original print. There are those that enjoy the sound of 128k MP3 files; I think they sound wretched and prefer other formats. I'm happy with my 13" TV, though others insist on the sexiest, flattest, biggest plasma they can find. Great.

So why do I worry about HD if I have such a silly television, you ask? I'm not concerned with my own perceptions - I'm talking about preserving history and making it available to current and future generations. The bigger picture. Higher resolution theater projectors are on their way, and the day will come when studios abandon costly film prints entirely in favor of sending digital files. Are we ready?

I think our global film history is worth throwing every trick in the book at to preserve with all the detail and depth of a fine print. But there's no convincing anyone else of that. So be it.

Sorry, Rixrex, for point-by-point dissection. That's how it goes.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you wrote was informative. It wasn't a point-by-point dissection of the type I'd previously groused about, where another posting is divided into sections and each section replied to with smug commentary, intended to exalt the replier's level of intelligence and expertise to the detriment of the initial poster.

You weren't doing that as far as I could tell.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since nobody else has mentioned this yet, I'll be the one to note that HD-DVD died today. I don't have either hi-def format yet but did buy a few of the combo discs that I can watch on regular DVD players. I'm hoping Toshiba will make a machine that plays both formats; depending on how cheap the discs get I might think about getting every title like I did with CED. Might at least try to get all the combo discs.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Comparison of HD DVD and CED Reply with quote

Since both these formats became obsolete after a rather short time on the market, I thought some comparisons would be interesting:

Delays:
This thread started back in January 2005 with the announcement of HD DVD and Blu-ray at CES, but the formats were delayed quite a while - HD DVD until 4/18/2006 and Blu-ray until 6/15/2006. In the case of CED, RCA left the technology press to speculate until making their definitive announcement in January 1979 that the system would be introduced, with that happening on 3/22/1981.

Time on Market (from intro to announcement of demise):
HD DVD - 22 months
CED - 37 months
But CED still had another two years of disc pressing, while it sounds like HD DVD will cease around June 2008.

Number of Players:
CED - 750,000 (almost all North American)
HD DVD - 1,300,000 (this includes 600,000 US players, 100,000 European, and 600,000 drives inside computers or with Xbox 360's).

Number of Titles:
CED - 1,700
HD DVD - 578
This is from amazon.com which at the same time lists 677 Blu-ray and 243,183 regular DVD titles.

If you want to get some cheap HD DVD stuff for your collections, this site is listing some of the clearance bargains that have been announced:

http://www.hddvd.com

I may try to pick up the RCA-branded clone of the Toshiba HD-A1 model.

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: