CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SJT-400 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: SJT-400 problem Reply with quote

I've been having an odd problem with my SJT-400. Every 13 seconds exactly there's a disturbance in the picture. When playing a disc the video gets noisy (like a dirty stylus) for about 1/2 second and clears up. It's the same for all discs and in page mode. Even in stop mode the black screen flickers slightly every 13 seconds. Has anyone seen anything like this?

I've downloaded the service manual and will be working on it soon. I'll post any progress that I make. I'm thinking a power supply problem is the most likely cause.
Surge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: SJT-400 problem Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
I've been having an odd problem with my SJT-400. Every 13 seconds exactly there's a disturbance in the picture. When playing a disc the video gets noisy (like a dirty stylus) for about 1/2 second and clears up. It's the same for all discs and in page mode. Even in stop mode the black screen flickers slightly every 13 seconds. Has anyone seen anything like this?

I've downloaded the service manual and will be working on it soon. I'll post any progress that I make. I'm thinking a power supply problem is the most likely cause.

It's a wore stylus Andy...I had the same exact problem when I bought mine from a thrift store..Replaced stylus..and worked fine afterwards...Hope that helps....
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I already tried a new stylus with no change.

I've been looking around the player with an oscilloscope and I've trace the signal problem all the way back to the output of the resonator board. I tried adjusting the resonator osc pot and it seems to have fixed the problem. Strangely, it works fine with it adjusted closer to one extreme of where the picture totally drops out. When adjusted in the middle of the good picture range I get the problem.

I don't like "screwdriver" fixes, but so far it seems to be working fine. I suspect there's a slight defect in the resonator, but it's labeled as not being servicable. After looking inside, I agree that any repair attempt is likely to completely destroy it. If I ever get another J/K player, I'll try swapping the resonators.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: