CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Sears Player Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Weird Sears Player Issue Reply with quote

Ive got a Sears 934.54780150 player that skips the movie, goes to the edge of the disc and resets. If I remove the stylus belt, it sorta works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1kXaGbQIUA

I'm assuming its the belt since it seems to be very loose, but I don't really know, since it still tries to move the arm after I remove the belt. Ive heard there might be a disc sensor that's affected by normal light, but putting the cover on and turning off lights don't make a difference.

Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks!

SJT-100 (not working Sad)
Sears 934.54780150/CED-1 Frankenstein
lynx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Sears Player Issue Reply with quote

TGM wrote:
Ive got a Sears 934.54780150 player that skips the movie, goes to the edge of the disc and resets. If I remove the stylus belt, it sorta works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1kXaGbQIUA

I'm assuming its the belt since it seems to be very loose, but I don't really know, since it still tries to move the arm after I remove the belt. Ive heard there might be a disc sensor that's affected by normal light, but putting the cover on and turning off lights don't make a difference.

Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks!

Hi Mario.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been busy with Christmas. Anyway, I watched your video showing your CED player's problem. Since I only own an RCA model SFT 100 W player, I'm not really familiar with any of the less common CED players (Sears, Zenith, Toshiba, Realistic, Montgomery Ward, Hitachi, etc.), but I researched what could be wrong with your player.

I think your players may have bad belts, which you can order from Tom Howe in the mail. This issue is described here on the repair solutions page. Here are two links to the solutions:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#worn-out-arm-drive-belt-no-playback

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#worn-out-arm-drive-belt-partial-playback

On a side note, the CED that you're playing in the video, Disney's The Love Bug, was one of my favourite childhood movies, and still is today! I have it on CED, and it's still playable, although it's not in the best condition.

Good luck!
TGM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Sears Player Issue Reply with quote

lynx wrote:
I think your players may have bad belts

Unfortunately, this is a replacement belt. I got it from Josh Gibson, who's belts have worked very well for me in the past, so id like to think it isnt the issue. I emailed him recently, and he said its normally about that loose, so now I am not really suspecting it.

However, you also linked the "Worn Out Arm Drive Belt, No Playback" page which got me thinking that it may be the gearbox. It does look like there may be some gunk or something in it, but I didn't take it into consideration, thinking its just grease. But maybe that worn out grease or gunk is causing enough friction to make the player go all wacky.

Ill go clean the gearbox and re-lubricate it. Ill also clean the pullies even more thoroughly, and I'll keep ya posted.

TGM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it didn't help. It does seem to struggle WAY less getting to the read position, but it is still going to the end without reading. My last idea before going for a smaller belt: I'm gonna accuse my own work.

This player has ATROCIOUS bodge wires and components, which I think is factory original.

I measured out the leads and wire to length and re-soldered them to hopefully make the components not short on a slightest bump of the machine.

Assuming I correctly soldered everything, could the issue be with different resistances or capacitances than the non trimmed mod? Or if I soldered something incorrectly, What component or IC could be affected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: