CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rebuilding Stylus Cartridges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Rebuilding Stylus Cartridges Reply with quote

I have been looking back through all my previous correspondence with John Stevens, both in email and on this page and I was hoping to get in contact with some of his CEDatum associates that helped him with his stylus rebuilding operation. From what I can tell Daxi Don and someone named Amanda B. had helped him in the past. If anyone knows how to get in contact with either of these two it would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the only point of contact I could find for Don was; cedatum@ccrtc.com.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Don (last name omitted) that lives in Bloomington and is about the right age, but I called and he said it wasn't him so that was a bust. Not sure what else to do. I wonder if Ryan has any contact info for him in John's stuff. Ryan said he got a good truck load of stuff but not much paperwork. It sounds like Kathleen kept most of it to go through for whatever reason. He said John's son was going to try to work with him to get him the stuff at the cabin and whatever else he can find. I hope we can get some good information.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering if that meant no more stylus rebuilding.If it is it's bad news for me. I have about 20 or so i need rebuilt if I want any of those players to work. I wish I could rebuild them.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
i was wondering if that meant no more stylus rebuilding.If it is it's bad news for me. I have about 20 or so i need rebuilt if I want any of those players to work. I wish I could rebuild them.

for now, there is no rebuilding or refurbishing.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i emailed them just for the heck of it. I would like to see the cartridge rebuilding continue and would also like access to purchase parts. I'd also like to learn the process of rebuilding/servicing carts and the equipment used. I may even go as far to say I'd like to purchase the equipment that was used so I could work on the cartridges,i'd also like to buy parts,like the 3rd reduction gears that break during shipping and the various IC's that are used ,as I have needed to replace those in the past. if anyone can inform me on any of that I'm interested in hearing more. I have about 25 players that need something or other ,so far I've only worked on 4 players,and I probably have about 20 or so remaining.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
i emailed them just for the heck of it. I would like to see the cartridge rebuilding continue and would also like access to purchase parts. I'd also like to learn the process of rebuilding/servicing carts and the equipment used. I may even go as far to say I'd like to purchase the equipment that was used so I could work on the cartridges,i'd also like to buy parts,like the 3rd reduction gears that break during shipping and the various IC's that are used

I'm sorry but that ship has sailed. There is not, nor is there a near future for stylus rebuilding. The equipment was one off and all of the replacement stylus diamonds are used up. There are possibilities of making 2 broken carts into a working one, depending on the circumstances...
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a manufacturer /supplier of diamond for the record industry be of any help,as far as obtaining diamonds? I have a friend who has been in everything vinyl for the last 40 years or so. He has overseen records being "cut" ,molding process and just pretty much everything to do with production/sales of records and alot of the equipment. He may be able to find someone to make that "tubular" structure the diamond is mounted on along with a diamond. I'm thinking if such a company saw the ced stylus they may be able to do something. If new cartridges are required,I've built plastic injection molds for about 40 years. To reverse engineer an existing cartridge and build a mold for it ,I could probably handle that end. I also would have access to someone to mold the parts.
I looked at ebay today and see so many cart's for sale,but I didn't read the description and I don't know if I'd trust it anyway. John had told me he bought a box of 100 new old stock carts,in the box and only 1 was good. It seems like someone on here mentioned the foam packaging put off a gas that destroyed the copper lead?
All these ideas is because I'm obsessive/compulsive type. I get something in my head like this and for years it is always in my thoughts.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more to the stylus than just the diamond. There is a metal electrode attached to the front of the stylus.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like a manufacturer of phonograph needles may be of some help. I realize they are not the same thing but still may have ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: