CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RCA SJT 100 - No stereo, right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blattinum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: RCA SJT 100 - No stereo, right? Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently got into CEDs after I discovered my dad's RCA SJT 100 in a storage room. I'm guessing the player doesn't support stereo since it's extremely quiet and muffled. However, mono videodiscs play fine.

Is it the case that this particular model is mono-only?

If so, is there a way to convert it to stereo or would that be impossible? I'm sorry I don't know much about the technicality of audio/electronics.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should play stereo discs just fine.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking there are 1 or 2 IC's in there that handle the audio and they are bad or 1 is bad? You could convert it to stereo (I think) but it would somewhat be a pain in the buTt. The earlier stereo players just have an add'l stereo processing board added to what's already in there but I think it would be better to just start out with a unit that is stereo capable to begin with so you've already got everything in the single unit. But yes as far as playing a stereo disc in your mono player it should play and sound fine,just not stereo. I'm not sure what exactly goes on with the audio as far as is right and left from the disc just getting combined or is just right or left playing. I'd have to read up on it. I've never really been interested in the mono players,mainly because I wanted rca jacks for my audio and video outputs.
banjodrummer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I recently got into CEDs after I discovered my dad's RCA SJT 100 in a storage room. I'm guessing the player doesn't support stereo since it's extremely quiet and muffled. However, mono videodiscs play fine.

Is it the case that this particular model is mono-only?

If so, is there a way to convert it to stereo or would that be impossible? I'm sorry I don't know much about the technicality of audio/electronics.[/quote]

The J100 is a mono only player. If you wanted to make it stereo, you would need to solder [i]all [/i]of the right-channel circuitry in the correct places, as well as solder in the RCA outputs (as the player is RF out only). With that in mind, it would be realistic to just buy a stereo-capable player (for RCA models, it is players 200 and up) if you were dead set on listing to the stereo titles in stereo.

But you can play stereo titles in mono players. Just be mindful that mono players will only be able to decode the left-channel audio of stereo titles, and furthermore mono players do not have CX-noise reduction that all stereo titles come with. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: