CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1983 RCA dealer advertisement from Petaluma, California

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: 1983 RCA dealer advertisement from Petaluma, California Reply with quote

On Monday, I celebrated the fortieth anniversary of CED by spending the day watching a bunch of You Tube videos about CED, and I found this old television advertisement for McDonald Electronics in Petaluma, California, so I thought I would share it on here. For those who don't know, Petaluma is a city in Sonoma County, located in the Bay Area of northern California.

I never knew that people could actually rent CED players, and it looks like they had a good deal, with the player rentals at only $5.00 per day, and disc rentals at only $3.00 per day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uibY6O02eK4
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't even aware of ced players back then. A friend of mine recently told me he rented them at a nearby video rental but I never went to that place.I got a beta videotape vcr around '83 or '84 and at that time I don't even remember them being at the store (highland appliance,big chain but they went out a long time ago) at that time they just had beta or vhs in the store. The salesman suggested going with beta because,according to him "I'd say in 6 months to a year vhs won't even be around anymore,beta is far superior" I don't know if he really felt that way or if he got more commision selling the beta players. That player only lasted a month or 2,it ate a tape and the only way to get it repaired was mail it somewhere.
Back to ced,my buddy said "yeah we rented a player and 2 or 3 discs and every frickin disc would skip and wouldn't play worth a shirt" (some of his words changed by me to keep it family friendly,but you get the idea). I would think the rental of players just wouldn't be good. I think people can be pretty rough when stuff isn't their's and unless the thing is really broken on the outside the rental place can't accuse someone of breaking it?? I know when I bought the 500 discs that were all bad I got an autoload player,non stereo I forget the model. They claimed it belonged to their grandma,but it was a rental unit because it still has the instructions taped to the top from the video place. I was going to open it up one day to look for a cartridge in it and a couple screws in back were missing and the remaining screws were all loose,so I think someone had already been inside it,but that's as far as I got. Not high up on the list of things to do.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! kinda weird they only offered a base model and a top of the line, and nothing mid-range
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: