CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My SJT-400 Needs Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Hultberg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: My SJT-400 Needs Help Reply with quote

Hey guys, i'm the new kid on the block around here and I have a SJT-400 player that has a problem with the video signal. After I load the disk, it starts to play but then all of a sudden the picture gets scrambled and disappears, but then comes back again. it does this about every 5 or 6 seconds, sometimes it goes a bit longer before it blinks out. Also there is a bumping sound inside the case in the right front section. I think that's around the same time I lose the video signal. I'v done a proper belt replacement, and lubricated the correct gears. I'm planning on maybe getting a replacement stylus for it. But before I pull the trigger on that I thought I,d ask some experts first.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just start by sending the stylus to CEDatum for a free inspection/cleaning.Purchasing a new stylus so you have a spare is pretty handy but don't go buying one on ebay for $100 or whatever that probably won't work anyway and you would have to send that to CEDatum. CEDatum may have stylus's for sale,that would be your best bet. Then I'd make sure your disc has no defects by visually inspecting it (without touching with bare fingers) then play the disc with the good cartridge with the cover removed so you can see what's going on. I think there was a post somewhere talking about the automatic stylus cleaner in the player,that clicking may be that stylus cleaner. I don't know what would happen if that third reduction gear was broken enough to to not work properly but work somewhat and possibly causing trouble. Or some other gear somewhere that may be damaged just enough to cause a problem. Those are just ideas that pop into my head. But I'd def. start off with my recomendations at the start of the post.
banjodrummer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it do that with all discs you put in, or just a couple? If it's not all of them, then it sounds like to me that the discs themselves are more than likely in need of pre-playing. The silicon lube on the discs, over time, settle into the grooves, so the stylus won't ride in them perfectly the first couple times. After a few playbacks, the lube should be redistributed and the disc should play much better. It's hard to know exactly what's going on without a video, but to me it sounds like that's what's happening.

The sound you're hearing, I'm not sure what that is exactly. That's the location of the stylus arm motor, but it shouldn't be making a bumping sound. And if the third reduction gear were broken, then the arm wouldn't be able to move at all; but if you can actually advance on a disc, then the gear isn't broken.

Hope that helps.
Jim Hultberg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its with all the disks. And the unit does advance with out any trouble. So it's probably as you said. Also the disks I do have hadn't been played in a long time before they were sent to me. I appreciate your wisdom. Thanks
johngreve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that particular disc just needs a pre-play to me.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: