CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impression of CED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: First impression of CED Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum.

I live in the UK and have just set up my CED player (GEC McMichael V5000H) this weekend that I bought from eBay.

The sound quality is better than I expected, having it connected to an A/V amp via audio phono leads probably helps a long way.

The picture quality (also connected via video phono to A/V amp) is just as I expected, though I am watching on a 65" screen. I'd say it's better than VHS, though some discs produced a better picture that others.

I've only watched four discs to date.

There certainly was a degree on 'jumpiness' as I watched, usually at least once every 10 minutes, but not enough to affect my enjoyment - I was expecting it.

I noticed that if there was a jump or picture dropout that if I "fast" rewound and played that same part again, it would play perfectly - every time!

So I tried an experiment; I watched "Taking of Pelham 1-2-3", side one, and yes it skipped every 10 mins or so, ever so slightly. BUT, for side 2, I let it play WITHOUT me watching; letting the stylus play the entire second side with the TV off. I then switched on the TV and replayed side 2 with me watching and it played a WHOLE LOT better than side one, I think it skipped a couple of frames just once?

Is this normal? Do these discs play better if they have just been played? Is there a specific technical reason for this?

Or was this just a coincidence?

I don't think the discs I've acquired haven't been played in years - possibly even decades?

Would be interesting to hear from you seasoned experts on this.

What I love about CED is it's PURE ANALOGUE, without a hint of digital - absolutely fantastic!

It's great to be able to watch films from the mid-seventies to early-eighties in that raw, analogue, standard definition format.

I'm looking forward to watching many more.

Last edited by Skyman on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
cbertra2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discs play better on the second time around. Take care of the stylus because they are no longer available. Try to find one on Ebay.
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread on here, or maybe it is in the general advice somewhere, about why they play better on the second go. One reason is that the material may stiffen after many years and you are reviving it by playing it.

The more concerning reason is that the stylus is cleaning out the groove as you go. Tiny dust particles etc.

The danger is that if you get a really grimmy disc or the stylus hits a big bit of debris, or a cracked disc or something it can break the stylus and then you are SOL. You will have a particularly hard time finding a new one being in the UK where fewer machines were sold (and fewer titles were released. UK machines aren't compatible with American titles).

There are instructions on here for opening cartridges and even for cleaning discs. Though cleaning discs scares me. But a habit of looking at the discs for obvious defects wouldn't hurt.

Don't stress about it too much. I've watched well over 100 discs now without any stylus problems. Some with rough looking covers play better than others with mint covers. Generally former rental store copies have been overplayed.

Looking at the stylus compatibility charts on here and finding a backup will give you some peace of mind and keep you in the game longer.
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad ya like your player buddy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: