CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I bought an STF-100 off of e-bay...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBG-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: So I bought an STF-100 off of e-bay... Reply with quote

Like the title says. I just couldn't help myself. The box was a bit smooshed when it got here today. I didn't have high expectations of it working. And I was not disappointed. I can't even get a picture out of this thing!

It's static no matter how I hook it up (coax like my other machine to my CRT) and it's not the cable since it's the same one I'm using while testing the other machine.

The stylus is dancing all over the place but lands properly. E-bay post said it's working great Wink I took the stylus out to have a look and there is very much still a fine point needle there. So something has been damaged elsewhere during transport.

The picture issue has to be circuitry as there is humming and noise coming through with the static when it's in the play or load position.

But should it have a black picture when it's in the load position? I haven't actually touched this model of the machine since 85 so I don't remember.

Chris
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the stylus the one you just got from CEDatum? Are you sure the disc you're trying to play is in good condition and not damaged? A damaged disc con damage the stylus immediately. Personally I would use the 100 as a disc checking unit (that's what I've done with mine) and get a unit that is stereo and it will have rca jacks and that way the signal doesn't go thru the circuitry to give the tv tuner signal. Just one step less in the signal path to deal with.
As for buying on ebay the only way I would ever even start to believe a claim of "works great" (or what ever) is if they post video of the unit working. Basicly,with these machines you pretty much have to be willing to work on them to get them in good working order. I think somewhere on the site you can get a sgt200 service manual for free and you can pretty much use that for getting started . I have a sears service manual that is for their version of the 100 player but I had to buy that and it gives a warning you are not to share it post it etc and I once almost got into trouble for a copyright thing so I don't share it,but the service manual for the 200 will work. That just has the added stereo board in it but the mechanics are the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: