CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US model VHD player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: US model VHD player Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been on this forum in a while, but I've been getting more into the VHD format, which works similar to CED and was set for release in the US but never actually was, but did make it out in Japan.

A prototype US-model player and a few discs were up on Ebay a few months ago and I snagged them. The player had no stylus but a Japanese Victor stylus works in it, the insides also needed greasing to start playing without giving them a push by hand. I shot a video of it running with the cover off, and then with it on after fixing (sorry for my crappy camerawork) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4YLE5J5Zo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jU9EYrkKEA
johngreve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a killer pickup.....too bad it was axed before it came out.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the VHD players are unique. A few months ago, I bought a Disclord DP-830 player off a guy in California through E-bay. When the player came, I tested it with the only VHD movie I have (2001) and it worked beautifully. A few days ago, I got a stylus for the player through E-bay off the same guy that sold me the player,

One thing that is important for VHD players is that you need a step-down transformer to convert the wall voltage from 120 VAC to 100 VAC. You can get a transformer from Amazon.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you are wondering Jesse is one of the finer contributors to You Tube as well as here (eyeh8nbc on YT). Thanks for posting your links to these videos. VHD looked very promising and the picture quality was pretty nice for that 007 title as well.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten a bunch of VHD discs from Japan, and have a total of 5 players now including the US model. My experience with them has been that they have a slightly better picture than CED but not as good as laserdisc. They do still have a skipping problem as well, but like CED that can improve with repeated plays.

I have a few Japanese demo discs that are pretty cool, I've got one of them which I just need to clear hard drive space for to upconvert, so that it plays on YouTube at the proper frame rate. Been doing all my videos that way ever since I learned it was possible, the lower frame rate was my main criticism of online video.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it's better than Cartrivision...having said that the picture with Cartrivision wasn't that bad for the first home consumer cassette format and era.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got this Japanese demo disc uploaded- I can hardly understand a word in it but it's pretty funny. Got a few more I'll hopefully upload soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI-ORecid3g
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Jesse, that was an excellent upload!
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of VHD, I managed to source a Victor 8900 unit. It should be arriving within the next week or so.

The seller tells me that the discs he has tested it with play fine and display a really clear image. But that the loading and eject motor belts don't work as they should.

How difficult would it be to source new belts? Or are there alternative, compatible replacements for it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: