CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What gives with the auomatic login function?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: What gives with the auomatic login function? Reply with quote

This has happened to me twice. I check the box on the "...ForumIndex" to have me be automatically logged in (I have the username and password filled in by my browser). After I select the forum with a bookmark, I am logged in when the General screen appears. All well and good except after logging in several times, the check box is unchecked by something and I have to recheck it to get the auto login to work again.

What is it with that checkbox? If you can only use it a few times, what good is it? Could it be related to the age of my bowser?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you figure it out?

What OS/browser are you using and did you recently go through an upgrade?

i.e. Windows 10 and Firefox, Firefox had TWO upgrades in about 5 days due to finding a couple critical bugs involving memory.

Do you have settings in your OS/browser to remember logins/passwords or an app the saves those for you?

I would start there but I would also wonder if some new things were implemented to try and reduce the amount on spamming that was happening lately...
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Did you figure it out?

What OS/browser are you using and did you recently go through an upgrade?

i.e. Windows 10 and Firefox, Firefox had TWO upgrades in about 5 days due to finding a couple critical bugs involving memory.

Do you have settings in your OS/browser to remember logins/passwords or an app the saves those for you?

I would start there but I would also wonder if some new things were implemented to try and reduce the amount on spamming that was happening lately...

I am running Linux 16 for OS and Firefox 7.0.1, (I know that both are old.) My browser remembers login and password if I want it to.

There have been times when I would login to the forum and proceed to browse. I would then want to reply to a posting and would have to login again even though I had logged in at the beginning. Very frustrating.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can operate with MINT (I assume) 19.1 and Firefox 66.0.1, I would at least recommend Firefox ESR 52. Mint 16 is starting to get a wee bit old, I started with Maya (Mint 13).

Not only will you get a lot of performance benefits, with Mint 19 you have a new feature which is somewhat akin to Window System Recovery and allows you to restore from a previous version should an update go wrong...then you haven't totally bricked.

I have two Mint 19.1/Firefox and two Windows 7/Firefox PCs, but 32 bit FF is still rather annoying using 32 bit Win 7 on a 12 year old Dell and even with the e10 process setting at only 2 it can crash like a drunk driver on a couple sites (oddly enough, just those two). I mention the e10 setting because the default was doubled from 4 to EIGHT with FF 66 and older machines may not dig it. Also turn off hardware acceleration if you need to.

I'm not having the same problems you have with saving your login so perhaps an update is overdue.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Unless you can operate with MINT (I assume) 19.1 and Firefox 66.0.1, I would at least recommend Firefox ESR 52. Mint 16 is starting to get a wee bit old, I started with Maya (Mint 13).

Not only will you get a lot of performance benefits, with Mint 19 you have a new feature which is somewhat akin to Window System Recovery and allows you to restore from a previous version should an update go wrong...then you haven't totally bricked.

I have two Mint 19.1/Firefox and two Windows 7/Firefox PCs, but 32 bit FF is still rather annoying using 32 bit Win 7 on a 12 year old Dell and even with the e10 process setting at only 2 it can crash like a drunk driver on a couple sites (oddly enough, just those two). I mention the e10 setting because the default was doubled from 4 to EIGHT with FF 66 and older machines may not dig it. Also turn off hardware acceleration if you need to.

I'm not having the same problems you have with saving your login so perhaps an update is overdue.

I tried to get an FF update for my current version and there is none.

I plan on updating to Fedora 20 sometime in the future if possible. You can not do an update if the update is over so many versions. I have the CD so that is no problem. I tried to install Windows 10 and got some strange error I do not remember. My MB has dual 2.5 GHtz Xeon processors with 1 GB of RAM so I would think that would be enough horsepower to handle Win10. I have the Fedora 25 CD; but, I could not get it to install with it giving some other funky error message.

I guess I will have to either replace my home built PC or consider another version of LInux. I have a very low opinion of MS so I have no interest in their Windows OS.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, 1 GB is not enough for Windows 10 at all. I'm running 2-6 GB as it is and I'm not sure what is in the HP Pavilion I had installed 10 on in the first place when it was free...Linux should at least have 2 GB RAM to feel happy with itself.

I chose Mint because it was the closest I could get to a Windows like experience and even so I had to learn a few things, but I had built a pair of MPC Clientpro 385 PCs up and given one to my nephews, who liked theirs a lot but wanted to build their own Windows 10 PC and then my version simply died after the power supply caught fire... Shocked

MPC went out of business more than 10 years ago...it has an Intel Core2Duo 6300 1.86 GHz (so does this Dell IIRC) and 4 GB while the other Mint machine has ~2 GB RAM and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.6GHz/core and a build date in 2009. I don't see why you couldn't make it work with enough RAM. My oldest machines take 533/667 and 800 MHz DDR2, although they need Medicare and aren't in use right now.

Whee! Wasn't THAT specially Off-Topic? But I hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: