CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre VCR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbertra2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Pre VCR Reply with quote

Just curious. Anyone own a CED player before they owned a VCR. I had a CED player and Laser Disc player before a VCR.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a GE VCR before I bought my first CED player. The CED player beat out the VCR when it came to cost of t apes over discs. Video tapes at the time were somewhere around $80 whereas the CED's were $19.95 which was a significant difference. Laserdisc players were just too expensive back then.

P.S.
chertra2:

Could you send me your mailing address again? I cannot seem to find it in any of my e-mails. (I need it so I know where to send a Wards turntable pulley for replacement,)

Thanks.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even remember ced. I got a vcr in maybe 1983 or so. I originally got a betamax and I remember the salesman telling me that he thought within 6 months to a year vhs wouldn't even be available. The betamax player ate probably the 3rd or fourth tape I played in it and it was a rental. There was only one rental place at the time (that I knew of) in Kalamazoo,Michigan and they sent a collection agency after me for the cost of the tape. I then got a vhs player and even by then the beta tapes were getting less and less at the rental places and by then there were a few more rental places but during that time I never saw ced's or players. I have some friends that claimed they rented them but they say "I rented the laser player ced things but they skipped bad and just didn't play any good" so I don't know if they were renting laserdiscs or ced's??? A guy at work did buy a laserdisc player at the time and it seems like it was about $900 and vcr's were $250 or something which in the early 80's was quite a bit of money. That guy would always talk about watching laserdiscs. He was pretty proud of the fact and he let people know it. Back then I never even heard people talking about ced and I was in radio shack and highland appliance all the time.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to explain to yet another eBay seller that CEDs weren't laserdiscs and with the protective coating you'd ruin both your disc and make a huge mess in your LD player and never see the program anyway.

And I always point out this site and that I am member kitchensynch of CED Magic. Hopefully they come and look and they almost always thank me for pointing out the difference.

And no, I had a CD player first, then a hi-fi VHS deck in the late 80s/early 90s that I used to record music performances on talk shows and video shows like Friday Night Videos and Night Tracks. I've had 3-4 LD players and a few DVD players and then I found a bunch of CEDs.

As you can see in my info I've been here just 5 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: