CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the group, first CED player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clinto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: New to the group, first CED player Reply with quote

Hello Everyone! I've been wanting to collect laserdiscs, and in my search for a laserdisc player I found a video disc lot. I was surprised that I had never heard of them, even though I would have been around 10 when they first came out. Anyway, I'm now a proud owner of an SGT-200 and nearly 300 movie discs. My SGT-200 worked right away, but after a few disc changes is now not removing the disc from the caddy. From this site I've discovered what I need to do as far as cleaning and lubricating, but I can't seem to find a guide for initial teardown. I seem to be having trouble removing the cover. Is there a guide I missed? Thanks in advance for the help!
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello. If you flip the player upside down there are 8 screws along the edge of the cabinet that need to be removed and then flip it back over and there are 3 screws along the back cover, remove those and then you can remove the cover. sometimes you may have to watch the side of the cover where the load lever is as I think one of the mounting brackets likes to catch on part of the load actuater (?) hardware. I'd send your caartridge off to cedatum for cleaning and inspection while you follow this link that may help you
http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#caddy-latch-fails-to-engage

and also find the service manual for it. I think it's available somewhere on the site. I found one somewhere and I don't think it's one that I've paid for. Read up on everything the best you can and I like a junk sft 100 I have that I keep the cover off and the arm swung out of the way along with some white cotton gloves I use to check out my discs before I play them. It just makes it an extremely easy way to inspect the discs with a minimal of actual touching. I bought about 500 discs and they were all junk. Some of them (after inspecting the actual disc) looked as though they had been pulled out of a gravel pit. It doesn't take much of a disc defect to damage the stylus.
Maybe someone can provide a link for the service manual. I haven't seen alot of service manuals for other items (such as a stereo receiver/amplifier) but have seen enough to know how excellent the rca selectavision service manuals are. With a limited amount of electronic knowledge I've been able to do some repairs on units. I actually have a sgt200 that I need to get a shipping box and packing material ready for it so I can sell it. Pretty nice player. I think I'd call it the best for a starter unit. has stereo capabilities and has the rca jacks for outputs. Good luck with your "adventure".
clinto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I was afraid the screws on the bottom held the guts in place, hence my initial apprehension. I was able to get the arm greased and it works perfectly now! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club!!! Super nice people here, Good luck to you!!!
SKT-100
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now please remove this spam, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: