CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sears going the way of Wards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Sears going the way of Wards Reply with quote

The Sears news from today and the Montgomery Ward news from 18 years ago sound eerily similar:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

http://www.cedmagic.com/museum/press/ap-release-2000-12-28.html

It's unlikely Sears will disappear completely - if all the retail stores were to close, there's enough name recognition to maintain an online presence. Indeed, Wards vanished for seven years, but came back in 2008 as an online retailer only:

https://www.wards.com

Oddly enough, Sears acquired the 800 number for the Wards service department back in 2001, and routed it to their own service department. If you call that number today, it goes to Sears Parts Direct.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I saw that this morning on the news. Personally,I don't know how they've kept going for the last 10 or 15 years. I don't shop there but my sister did in her hometown and also the one aprox. 20 miles away near my hometown and she always commented that she was the only person in the place. Then with the big home improvement stores selling alot of the same products etc. I don't think the younger generation is interested in buying clothing there. I know in there hardware type section they had quite alot of tools but the prices were so high (craftsmen stuff) and some might say "it has a lifetime warranty" most all places now even the cheap tools have a lifetime warranty on them. I thought they already went out of the mall near my sisters but they are still there. It was jc penney that moved out a year or 2 ago. That's another dinosaur, enclosed malls. Last time I went in our mall the only people in the place were about 10 kids in the food court.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: