CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First posting, CED player repair needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: First posting, CED player repair needed Reply with quote

Greetings to every one at cedmagic.com.

I just joined this web site today, and I am not exactly sure how it works, so please be patient with me.

My old RCA Selectavision video disc player is malfunctioning, and I am searching for someone located in the southern California area who I can hire to repair it. Since this product is very old & obscure, I do not know who is able to work on it, or any one who is even familiar with it; therefore, I do not know who else to turn to but this web site.

I do not know anything about computers or electronics, or how to repair or service them, so any help would be much appreciated. I can also provide my E-mail address to contact me.

Thank you very much!
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say contact cedatum.com they may be willing to work on it for you but be prepared to spend money, because seeing you are on the west coast and they're in Indiana I imagine shipping the player to them and having it shipped back to you would probably be in the $100 round trip, that's just for shipping, any parts and repairs would then cost extra. It may help us a little to know what player you have and what exactly is not working. Might also help to know why you want to get it working.
lynx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
I would say contact cedatum.com they may be willing to work on it for you but be prepared to spend money, because seeing you are on the west coast and they're in Indiana I imagine shipping the player to them and having it shipped back to you would probably be in the $100 round trip, that's just for shipping, any parts and repairs would then cost extra. It may help us a little to know what player you have and what exactly is not working. Might also help to know why you want to get it working.

Thank you for the reply. My CED player is an RCA model SFT 100 W. The problem it has is a persistent issue with the picture. It will start playing normally, but after it has been playing for approximately 20 minutes or half an hour, the picture will go bad & turn pink & green for a few seconds, and then it will return to normal for a few seconds, but then distort again. It will do the same thing until the end of the disc. My player has had this problem ever since I bought it. I had it shipped to someone back east a few years ago to be serviced, but when I got it back & started using it again, it still had the exact same problem, so my player was never really repaired in the first place. I think the problem is with my player because I have ruled out the possibility that it something is wrong with my TV, my discs, or my RF cable.

There are some electronics repair shops in my area, but I am hoping to find someone who is more knowledgeable with CED to properly repair & service my player, which I why I am asking for help on this web site.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can remove your stylus/cartridge by sliding an access panel on top of the player and then opening the cover on the cartridge arm and remove the cartridge/stylus. You can either download a service manual or just google search and probably find images for it. Package the stylus/cartridge well and send it to cedatum and they will clean and inspect it for free and then tell you if it needs repaired or rebuilt and advise you of the charge. It's possible the stylus cartridge may have been bad from the start.
lynx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
I think you can remove your stylus/cartridge by sliding an access panel on top of the player and then opening the cover on the cartridge arm and remove the cartridge/stylus. You can either download a service manual or just google search and probably find images for it. Package the stylus/cartridge well and send it to cedatum and they will clean and inspect it for free and then tell you if it needs repaired or rebuilt and advise you of the charge. It's possible the stylus cartridge may have been bad from the start.

I just had my stylus cartridge serviced by CEDATUM in Indiana about a month ago, but when I got it back, my player still had the picture problem. The problem is not with the stylus; it has to be something else. I do not know if it is mechanical or electronic, so that is why I joined this web site to find out what is wrong. I thought I could find someone on here located near me who would be able to work on it; I just sent an E-mail to an electronics repair shop about an hour's drive from where I live, and I am just waiting to hear back from them. I will keep you posted.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good deal, at least you're pretty sure the cartridge is good. If it were mine at this point I would know it has to be opened up and worked on. I'd probably just start right off cleaning and lubricating the turntable shaft and the motor and then check the turntable speed. I know if the speed is off by very much it can cause the strange color issues, and it could also p-lay properly part of the time and improperly at other times, but unfortunately I know that isn't much help to you. One of the "quirks" with these players seems to be you almost have to know how to work on them if you want to use them. It's possible someone could buy one and have it work properly but I think more often than not they need work.
Is there a specific disc you want to watch that you aren't able to find in another format or is it just "I want this player to work"? I don't know who works on them besides cedatum but the big factor in that is packaging it very well so hopefully it would survive the shipping and the cost involved in the shipping there and back and then the repair charges, which the work I've had cedatum do for me I consider very reasonable, especially after I did the same modification on a player that they did for me on another player and it was quite labor intensive, but the shipping charges to get the front panel of the player there and back kind of make it worth it for me to do it myself. But cedatum has no control over shipping prices. Someone may chime in on other repair people but as I said, cedatum is the only place I know to have them worked on.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my copy of "Complete Guide to Laser/Videodisc Player Troubleshooting and Repair" (available from Amazon.com). It states that the Time-Base-Corrector needs work. There is a section about fixing Changing Color (Changing Tint) which seems to be what you are experiencing.

What I would do is get the above book and lend the book and the player to a good electronics shop. They should be able to figure out what is wrong and fix the player. The repair needs an oscilloscope and DVM.to track down the problem. (Home repair orobably would not work here.)

Hope this helps.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
lynx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the suggestions, it really helps a lot!

I have done some quick research on this web site, to try & figure out what is wrong with my CED player, but I could never figure it out on my own, and it was frustrating. I had my CED player shipped to someone back east to be repaired a few years ago, but my guess is that he was not thorough in his workmanship. I ruled out every other possible culprit for the colour issue:

I know the problem is not the disc because it does the same thing on every disc I play.

I know it is not the television because it did the same on my old analogue TV that it is now doing on my new Samsung LED HDTV.

I know that it is not the RF cable because it did the same thing on my previous RF cable that it is doing with my new RF cable.

Finally, I know that it is not my physical location because I moved a few years ago, and it does the same thing in my new house that it did at my previous residence.

I really just want this player to work right because I am fascinated with CED technology & history, and I have a fairly big collection of discs that I really like to watch. Unlike some of the other collectors, I only have one CED player, and I really only want one reliable player to watch my discs on. I am not skilled with player repair, so I am trying to find a competent technician to work on my player. I am not quite sure, but I may have a few disc titles that are unavailable in any other audio-visual format. I have some music titles & some Disney titles that I think may be out of print & never re-released on other formats.

I will definitely buy the Complete Guide To Laser/Videodisc Player Troubleshooting & Repair from Amazon to loan to the technician I hire to service my player. I also have a rare RCA dealer-only disc that is used to repair players; it was Featured CED VideoDisc No. 43 - Winter 2007. I have never used it before; I got it from the same yard sale where I bought my player back in 2012. I was going to order a service manual for my player from Sams Technical Publishing, but this manual may be more helpful.

I can not thank both of you enough for the suggestions, and happy Fourth Of July!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned the pages in the book I referenced. Go to page 260 for Introduction to CED Troubleshooting and page 286 for the Time-Base-Corrector Troubleshooting.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
lynx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
I should have mentioned the pages in the book I referenced. Go to page 260 for Introduction to CED Troubleshooting and page 286 for the Time-Base-Corrector Troubleshooting.

Thank you for the suggestions; I will now know what to look for. I saw this manual listed in the CED Bibliography page on the cedmagic.com web site, and the description says that it is a good adjunct to the service manual, so I will probably order both manuals & loan them to the technician. Now I just need to find someone who can work on my CED player. I contacted CEDATUM, but they said that they are not repairing players, only servicing stylus cartridges & selling parts for players.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: First posting, CED player repair needed Reply with quote

lynx wrote:

I just joined this web site today, and I am not exactly sure how it works, so please be patient with me.

My old RCA Selectavision video disc player is malfunctioning, and I am searching for someone located in the southern California area who I can hire to repair it. Since this product is very old & obscure, I do not know who is able to work on it, or any one who is even familiar with it; therefore, I do not know who else to turn to but this web site.

I do not know anything about computers or electronics, or how to repair or service them, so any help would be much appreciated. I can also provide my E-mail address to contact me.

Thank you very much!

Hi Lynx, and welcome to CEDmagic! What is the model of your player? One note, John, at CEDatum, only services RCA models, and he doesn't ship the SJT/SKT-400 models. He told me they were too fragile to ship because of the plastic gears. John is very good at what he does, I'm driving up to his place tomorrow (July 7th) to pick up a couple of players. Also, I have found the guys here, for the most part, no their stuff! I'm like you, and can do very little. Thats why I visit John at CEDatum, so frequenly. Good Luck, and be careful, this format is very addictive!!!
SKT-100
lynx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: First posting, CED player repair needed Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
lynx wrote:

Thank you very much!

Hi Lynx, and welcome to CEDmagic! What is the model of your player? One note, John, at CEDatum, only services RCA models, and he doesn't ship the SJT/SKT-400 models. He told me they were too fragile to ship because of the plastic gears. John is very good at what he does, I'm driving up to his place tomorrow (July 7th) to pick up a couple of players. Also, I have found the guys here, for the most part, no their stuff! I'm like you, and can do very little. Thats why I visit John at CEDatum, so frequenly. Good Luck, and be careful, this format is very addictive!!!

Hi Beetlescott, and thank you for the nice welcome to CED Magic! My player is an RCA model SFT 100 W. I am trying to find someone in southern California skilled with CED players because shipping & handling is a big hassle, and apparently not many people work on them. I figured that this web site would be a good place to find someone who could service my player, and hopefully one of the guys here could offer their services, or recommend someone else who could do it. My player has a problem which seems to be more complicated than I thought it would be. Have fun visiting John at CEDATUM. I will be careful because CED is so addictive!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking, and It may be less expensive for you, if you could find a player from one of the guys who are are trustworthy, one that is working, and if you get a similar to the one you have.and then you could learn from it, and even use a working player, and get yours working that way. Just a thought. Maybe save money. I'm sure that one of the guys on here would have one for sale. Good luck to you. Another thing, if you think you might be interested, I can check and see if John might have a player like yours for sale, I'd be happy to pick one up, and ship it to you myself.
SKT-100
lynx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
I have been thinking, and It may be less expensive for you, if you could find a player from one of the guys who are are trustworthy, one that is working, and if you get a similar to the one you have.and then you could learn from it, and even use a working player, and get yours working that way. Just a thought. Maybe save money. I'm sure that one of the guys on here would have one for sale. Good luck to you. Another thing, if you think you might be interested, I can check and see if John might have a player like yours for sale, I'd be happy to pick one up, and ship it to you myself.

Beetlescott, thank you very much for the offer! I would really appreciate it if you could find out if John has any working CED players available that he does not want any more. If he has a player, then find out about a shipping & handling price.

I had been looking on E Bay & Craigslist for CED players, but there are no good deals on them; they are mostly overpriced & do not even work. I wanted to do my research on repair options before investing in service manuals or repair work, and trying to find someone to do the job. It really helps me a lot. I can send you my E mail address if you need it. Thanks again!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, and ill get back to you. Take care.
SKT-100
lynx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
Will do, and ill get back to you. Take care.

Thanks again. If John has no players available, then no worries.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, semi-dang.

We had a member in the Bay Area who was a total wizard, but after a terrible car wreck we all lost track of him.

We do have Jesse Skeen in San Diego I believe it is. You might know him on You Tube as EyeH8NBC I think it is as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: