CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player belt longevity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Player belt longevity. Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has kept records as to how long the modern day player belts last inside a player. I have started placing labels on my players noting any maintenance done so as to monitor belt failure.

I have a Sears player (934-54780150) that is acting as if the arm drive belt is slipping. I replaced that belt maybe 5 to 10 years ago. I am thinking that that is too short a time frame for the belt to fail.

GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

I decided to work on the Sears player that I referenced above. I opened up the player and observed both belts in action. The arm drive belt seemed to be working except that the arm was slow in moving across to the disc or when retracting. I removed the old arm drive belt and got out a new PBH belt. I compared the 2 belts and could not find any difference between the two. I put the PBH belt in the player. I powered up the player and the drive arm moved like it was new. I then removed the loading belt and did a comparison. The old belt had stretched when compared to the PBH belt. I put the PBH belt in the player and tested the player. Again, iIt played like it was new.

This makes me wonder what is the life span of the Hitachi belts? Tjhe old belts were from Tom and the new belts were from PBH. One belt showed no change whereas the other belt showed visible stretching. I am thinking that belts in the Hitachi players should be changed every 5 years (Preventive Maintenance) whether the player is in steady use or the player is sitting on a shelf.

What are your thoughts on this?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: