CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resurrection of a VIP1000 player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Resurrection of a VIP1000 player. Reply with quote

I just put the finishing touches on a Hitachi VIP1000 player that I bought off an E-bay seller. The player would not play any CED's. The LED time pointer would flash for maybe 10 seconds and then the arm would go back to its rest position. I opened up the player and saw the first problem. The loading belt had turned to goo. I ordered some belts ftom PBH and got them within 3 days. I replaced the loading belt along with a lot of cleanup to get the belt goo off the pulleys. I then tried to play a CED and saw the second problem. The arm drive belt was in the same condition as the loading belt was: goo. I cleaned the goo off the arm drive pulleys before replacing the arm drive belt. An FYI: Isopropyl alcohol works as a great solvent for belt goo. I then reassembled the player and tried a CED and the player worked.

I got an Hitachi Video Disc Stereo Adapter (part# STA300) just recently so I decided to test it. I connected it to the jack at the back of the player and connected its 2 outputs to my AVR along with the video. I inserted my copy of Star Wars into the player and positioned myself in front of the speakers. Sure enough, the Stereo Adapter worked. I have a wired Hitachi remote control (part# CWV600) for the player. I also just recently got a NOS stylus for Hitachi players. (The box states: "For Hitachi Video Disc Player") The stylus came in a blue box with the part# being CTG100. The box has the CED logo on it. So now I have a complete player with all Hitachi accessories.

I now have a Realistic 16-301 player to work on next, Its repair is not going to be as easy as the Hitachi's was, I am afraid.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830

Last edited by dumbchemist on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been working on my sears 934.54780150. i recently got a wired remote for it and decided to take a look at the player again. it was damaged in shipping after a member of the forum here generously gave the player to me for the cost of shipping. we trusted a 3rd party to pack and ship the player and the lady did so bad of a job packing it i was sure the player would never work again considering last time i tried it it worked a lot less...

here is the link to my youtube video of it. its still uploading as of 7:17 pm but in a few hours it should be live.
https://youtu.be/ETaRBygY52U
cedwaechter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same setup except for a Sears model. Got the stereo adaptor but still am looking for the Sears remote which never show up. Also have a Hitachi setup with the remote and a cover, but no adaptor. Cool set up and the best performing player I have. Way better than RCA stuff. Nice set up!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedwaechter wrote:
I have the same setup except for a Sears model. Got the stereo adaptor but still am looking for the Sears remote which never show up. Also have a Hitachi setup with the remote and a cover, but no adaptor. Cool set up and the best performing player I have. Way better than RCA stuff. Nice set up!

If you are not too fussy, I have a spare Hitachi wired remote which will work on your Sears player. I have used the Hitachi remote on my Sears player and it worked well. Let me know if you are interested.

I have wired remotes for Realistic, Wards, Hitachi and Sanyo players. I have not seen a remote for the Sears players yet.

I like the VIP1000 that I just fixed as it has a certain air about it. It is maybe the black trim across the top of the front of the player.

Does anyone know where you can get the long screw that is used for mounting the Stereo adapter to the side of the player? I was going to use velcro except that velcro uses an adhesive which I did not want to deal with.

Besides the Realistic I have to work on next, I have a SJT-400 to work on. The transfer rod coupling broke on me when I was trying to replace the function motor belt. The coupling is a bear as I have replaced one on a SJT-200 and thought that I would never get it to work.

BTW: Order your belts from PRB using the guide on CEDmagic.com. I originally was going to order 1 belt for the arm drive and 1 fir the loading belt. The salesman told me that it would cost $5.95 each. I then changed my order to 5 and he told me that the price would then drop to $2.95 each which is well worth it. I got the belts in 3 days.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hardware store will carry screws that will work. Just measure the length you need and take one of the short screws to the hardware store to match the thread pitch and size. It will probably be a metric size.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
Any hardware store will carry screws that will work. Just measure the length you need and take one of the short screws to the hardware store to match the thread pitch and size. It will probably be a metric size.

Thanks. There is a Lowes in town so I will have to do your suggestion there.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee!!!! Would you believe that I found a screw for mounting the STA300 in amongst a collection of spare screws? I attached the adapter to the side on my Sears 934-54780150 player. I think that I will keep the 2 together.

Who would have thunk it?

(Now I have to find another adapter for my VIP1000 player.)
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: