CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat! HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reese17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat! HELP! Reply with quote

Hi all I am a newcomer to the CED world. I remember seeing these as a kid and being fascinated by them but my folks didn't have the money to buy fancy electronics at the time. We ended up getting a VCR in 1985 as a gift otherwise we would not have had one till later. A few years back my girlfriends son found a crate full of CEDs someone was throwing out and brought them home to ask what they were. I was amazed to see them and it sparked my interest in the medium. I kept them just in case I came across a machine in my travels and low and behold last Thursday I found a VP 2000 at a thrift store. I took the chance on it and it actually worked but needed lubrication so I opened it up and watched a video on Youtube on how to lube it and by the end of the day I was watching Porkys on it! I was so excited to have this machine and started looking for more disks. On Saturday night I was watching Star Trek The Motion Picture on it and half way through the second side the machine just froze. I pulled the disk out and put it back in several times but all it does is spin; no picture and just two dashes on the screen in front. I am devastated.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the solution?

Thank you all...
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound like a broken record,but..... I would send the stylus/cartridge to cedatum for cleaning,testing and repair rebuild if necessary. The cleaning and testing is free , rebuild/repair costs money maybe $35 at most? but you do have to pay for shipping there and back. It's possible it "gave up the ghost" from natural causes or it may have hit a defect on the disc, it doesn't take much of a scratch on a disc to damage the stylus. That's why it's nice to have an old manual load player, working or non working, that you can load a disc into and examine each side for any damage to the disc. The fact that you lubed it and it was working though is a very good sign. I think I would open it back up and get new belts for it also and get a service manual for it, I think it's a rebadged sgt or something?
I don't know how people always find "neat" stuff at thrift stores. I go in them all the time and I just see crappy speakers maybe a couple tape decks that aren't anything special along with some cd players. Yet on forums people always tell about the "treasures" they've found. I know one problem (I think) is one store is a goodwill and one of the workers told me that they auction off things of value now. That was actually 3 or 4 years ago. He said sometimes things slip thru but most of the time if it has some value it goes to auction. We have another thrift store in the area but for some reason they just don't have many electronics, I asked about them and she said they just don't get alot of those donated.
Got off topic there. Good luck with your discs and player. Def. sounds like you're on the right track!
reese17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the response I appreciate all the help I can get! I can tell you right off the bat that the disk did have some strange looking spots on it but could the stylus just dying like that seems odd to be. Then again I am only familiar with record player needles and this I have come to understand is different. If it comes down to the stylus I don't mind paying. I have been searching through the forum but I can't seem to find the manual for the f series machines. I will keep looking. As far as the thrift store goes this is the first one I have seen in any of them within 20 miles of me ever! The place I found it in is a store that basically sells the garbage that people put out at the curb. There were some other odd vintage pieces there as well that day which makes me think some old timer that had all these in his garage passed away and this store salvaged what was thrown away. Just my luck!

jsdspif wrote:
I hate to sound like a broken record,but..... I would send the stylus/cartridge to cedatum for cleaning,testing and repair rebuild if necessary. The cleaning and testing is free , rebuild/repair costs money maybe $35 at most? but you do have to pay for shipping there and back. It's possible it "gave up the ghost" from natural causes or it may have hit a defect on the disc, it doesn't take much of a scratch on a disc to damage the stylus. That's why it's nice to have an old manual load player, working or non working, that you can load a disc into and examine each side for any damage to the disc. The fact that you lubed it and it was working though is a very good sign. I think I would open it back up and get new belts for it also and get a service manual for it, I think it's a rebadged sgt or something?
I don't know how people always find "neat" stuff at thrift stores. I go in them all the time and I just see crappy speakers maybe a couple tape decks that aren't anything special along with some cd players. Yet on forums people always tell about the "treasures" they've found. I know one problem (I think) is one store is a goodwill and one of the workers told me that they auction off things of value now. That was actually 3 or 4 years ago. He said sometimes things slip thru but most of the time if it has some value it goes to auction. We have another thrift store in the area but for some reason they just don't have many electronics, I asked about them and she said they just don't get alot of those donated.
Got off topic there. Good luck with your discs and player. Def. sounds like you're on the right track!

jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stylus is pretty finicky. I had one that was working and I went to play a disc and (I think) it acted normal but wouldn't play until I fast advanced it 1 minute than it would play fine. I had other cartridges I was sending in so I put that in there also, I believe that one needed "aligning" and I believe it was $5??? CEDatum is an excellent company to deal with, and that is a major understatement. They have helped me alot.
Dude111

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reese17 wrote:
I was amazed to see them and it sparked my interest in the medium. I kept them just in case I came across a machine in my travels and low and behold last Thursday I found a VP 2000 at a thrift store.

Wow good for you and welcome to the site!!

I havent ever found a videodisc player @ goodwill or salvation army...... W0W!!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discs from any thrift store, and any disc you never previously inspected need to be visually looked at before inserting them into a player. you probably broke the stylus on a beat up disc that was miscared for before you owned it.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More spam.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you! I visited John at CEDatum last week, he is a good friend, he is your answer to all things stylus. I know he basically only works on the RCA players, the others are the made in Japan models. But he does check out the stylus on them. Good luck with your new hobby. I have about 100 duplicate titles with my collection that I'm trying to find a new home for. If you are interested, please email me @ Beetlescott@msn.com. I'll give you the first 10 discs for just the cost of shipping. And anymore of them i'll let go for $1.00 each plus shipping. I just want them to find a new home. I wish you good luck in the new format.
SKT-100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: