CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

follow up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: follow up Reply with quote

recently bought a used hyundai that has a radio w/a USB port.
i loaded up my CED thumb drive with enough tunes to keep me (an old man) happy for a long time :>) Very Happy
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up Reply with quote

71chevyvan wrote:
recently bought a used hyundai that has a radio w/a USB port.
i loaded up my CED thumb drive with enough tunes to keep me (an old man) happy for a long time :>) Very Happy

What does this have to do with CED videodiscs and players?

I am an old man too and cannot fathom or follow what you are trying to say.

If you have a picture of your CED thumb drive, I would sincerely like to see it.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is referring to the thumb drive with "CED" embossed in it that tom gave out to the forum members last christmas
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got all the material I used when I was running my own fm radio station on an sd card. It's like 4.5 gigabytes of MP3 material. there's 45 hours worth on there. It's out in my barn stereo in a small mp3 palayer module into a tiny 40 watt chip amp. I'm surprised by the amount and quality of the sound I obtain out there.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is enough storage on that thumb drive for a Windows installation disc and a version of Linux (Mint especially) or backing up files to transfer to other computers...

Or a bazillion tunes. And it lights up in one of three colors depending on the version you received. Tom repeated this gift because it was so popular Smile

Mine glows green!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
There is enough storage on that thumb drive for a Windows installation disc and a version of Linux (Mint especially) or backing up files to transfer to other computers...

Or a bazillion tunes. And it lights up in one of three colors depending on the version you received. Tom repeated this gift because it was so popular Smile

Mine glows green!

Okay, I stand corrected. 71chevyvan, I hope you enjoy your tunes. I don't have an MP3 player (that I know of) so I cannot play them. My Sony UBP-E800 disc player may be able to play MP3 files (it certainly can play just about any other file format).

Tom never considered me for one of the CED thumb drives. (Sob).
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most media players for your computer (such as Windows Media Player) will play MP3 files, it is a fairly old format and one of the most commonly used before Apple players.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Most media players for your computer (such as Windows Media Player) will play MP3 files, it is a fairly old format and one of the most commonly used before Apple players.

I am running Linux on my desktop so I do not have a media player that I know of. (I just dangled a participle, gasp).
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open your menu and find something like Sound & Video (that would be in Mint, don't know which version/flavor you use) but in Mint it's called Media Player, and if you don't have that use Software Manager in that case to find it or another application to install.

I like Mint because it's fairly easy to move to for a veteran Windows user and pretty straightforward. The KDE version is being dropped after the next upgrade (18.3 Sylvia) but I have used Cinnamon for a while and started with Mint 13 Maya DATE 32.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Open your menu and find something like Sound & Video (that would be in Mint, don't know which version/flavor you use) but in Mint it's called Media Player, and if you don't have that use Software Manager in that case to find it or another application to install.

I like Mint because it's fairly easy to move to for a veteran Windows user and pretty straightforward. The KDE version is being dropped after the next upgrade (18.3 Sylvia) but I have used Cinnamon for a while and started with Mint 13 Maya DATE 32.

I have Rhythmbox Music Player under Sound and Video. I will have to give it a try sometime. I do have a thumbdrive that I use for file backup that I can transfer MP3 files to for testing. I don't have speakers hooked up so I will have to look into that next.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a mini stereo jack to RCA adapter cable and use your stereo, it can be very gratifying and even the little Radio Shack Optimus receiver and small Pioneer rear surround speakers I have on this one are really nice..I can choose between Polk Audio Monitor 4's I rebuilt to stock myself or a pair of Marantz Imperial 5. I like repairing and building my own speakers from existing/vintage parts. Even my 'alarm clock' is a small 1981 pioneer SX-400 15 watt analog receiver with a Pioneer DT-500 audio timer and former pair of infinity RS-4000 3-ways rebuilt with 8" 70s Pioneer woofers, Foster square plastic tweeters and I finally got the original cupped midrange drivers' surrounds replaced and I can use it as the rear channel setup for 5.1 with a Sansui 3300 receiver, 5.1 Prologic decoder/amp, two 4-way Pioneer towers modded with OEM and 70s Pioneer and Onkyo tweeters (active crossovers, what a ride!) and a 10" box with Radio Shack 1970s woofer and surplus new GM car tweeter with a built-in crossover i added to make it full-range or the Pioneer center mounted under the 1950s twin door television cabinet with a piano hinged top door over the former tuner panel I covered in cork panelin to use as a hideaway remote storage spot. I've done several of those over the years, they are pretty neat. This one has the loveliest warning inside that simply says WARNING! High voltage can kill you! I love it because it doesn't skirt the issue with mushy words.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the PC speakers and a sound card so all I have to do is install them. I also have to install K3B which is a CD burner software. It allows you to copy CD's and DVD's. It also allows you to burn a CD-R with WAV files of your choice so you can make custom CD's. It also has a feature that can allow me to extract audio from a DVD. I have never used that feature though.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SelectaVision420"]he is referring to the thumb drive with "CED" embossed in it that tom gave out to the forum members last christmas[/quote]

sorry about the CED thumb drive post. i guess i posted to the wrong place.

i was ony sharing my appreciation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: