CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil for CED players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Oil for CED players Reply with quote

I was wondering if I could substitute Singer All Purpose Machine Oil for the blue oil. (I have tried to find the oil that was mentioned on this forum but could not find it. I tried Amazon and a general Google search and was unsuccessful.)

Basically will sewing machine oil lubricate CED players?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the blue oil a silicon based lubricant? I'm thinking it must be a synthetic but I do not know. Message cedatum or ketonic dude, they might have a good alternative.

Or the 420s.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if the oil I have is synthetic. I have tried to read the label and there is no mention of it. (It does not help that the label is written in mouse type). I will do more research into the oil.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I meant your oil...and I'm not sure that RCA used anything way out in the early 80s because synthetic oils were fairly new and not cheap back then. This is why I recommended messaging cedatum or one of the '420s' (Selectavision/blindfury) or Josh/ketonic dude, who would have an answer to that question most likely as they work on the players (I haven't don't anything really out there with any yet, enough to help others diagnose my problems).
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
No, I meant your oil...and I'm not sure that RCA used anything way out in the early 80s because synthetic oils were fairly new and not cheap back then. This is why I recommended messaging cedatum or one of the '420s' (Selectavision/blindfury) or Josh/ketonic dude, who would have an answer to that question most likely as they work on the players (I haven't don't anything really out there with any yet, enough to help others diagnose my problems).

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. I do not know if the blue oil is natural or synthetic.

I cannot send e-mail as my browser allows me to receive e-mail; but, the send button is not available. (I am using an old version of Firefox which makes it hard.) I hate yahoo mail for this, Anyway, sending e-mail to blindfury or ketonic dude is out of the question right now for me.

The oil I have says on the side of the bottle that it contains Petroleum Distillates which I think implies that it is natural and not synthetic. The label says that the oil can be used on vacuum cleaners, household appliances, typewriters, computers, bicycles and many other uses.

Could you maybe find out if the blue oil is synthetic? There was a post on this forum about lubricating a player. Here is a forum post about the lubrication::

http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2708&highlight=creeper%2A
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830

Last edited by dumbchemist on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the problem...

You haven't got into settings and enabled emails. Without those you won't get emails other than the notifications from Tom.

If a member doesn't have an email button they may also have chosen to list it in their signature.

Neither I nor any other member can email you for this reason.

Last edited by kitchensynch on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this forum post:

http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2708&highlight=creeper%2A
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my previous post about activating your email link, you don't have one and that is your option. That is for others to get ahold of YOU as well as you of them. As I've mentioned the PM system is disabled to prevent message spamming. You can return the email/reply to the notification to make a complaint if you are not happy with the actions of a contact.

If you visit a hardware store it's possible they can guide you to this molybdenum grease, also possibly an auto parts store. But if you enable your email or use the address given in signatures you should be fine.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
See my previous post about activating your email link, you don't have one and that is your option. That is for others to get ahold of YOU as well as you of them. As I've mentioned the PM system is disabled to prevent message spamming. You can return the email/reply to the notification to make a complaint if you are not happy with the actions of a contact.

If you visit a hardware store it's possible they can guide you to this molybdenum grease, also possibly an auto parts store. But if you enable your email or use the address given in signatures you should be fine.

I don't understand that the PM system is disabled. I have been a member of the laserdisc forum for 6 years and they have the PM system working fine. There has never been a case of message spamming that I can ever recall. If a member sends me a PM, I get an e-mail letting me know that a PM has been sent to me. I then login to the forum, retrieve my message, reply to it and logout. If another PM is sent to me, I get another E-mail. I just used it recently as a member wanted to know if I wanted a VCD and I answered him. Perhaps Tom should reconsider enabling the PM system.

Please see this post about lubrication of CED players:
http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2708&highlight=creeper%2A.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
lokaloka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why to use the oil?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokaloka wrote:
Why to use the oil?

I have a Sears player (934.54780150) that is slow when you insert a CED. The stylus moves to the start position very slowly and jerkily. I was just wondering if a drop of oil on the linear bearing for the stylus would improve its performance.

I am interested in the type of oil to use.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daxi Don has now clarified this as I see in the thread RCA CED player lubrication. http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2771
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: