CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passage brought individuals the fact that feeling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get off this forum. You are advertising for a football web site selling sports "junk" (in my opinion only). This is a forum for CED hobbyists and is not for what you are advertising.

Beside, your post is one long runon sentence with absolutely no point to it. I read it and found it painful to read and understand.

Tom: Get this idiot off our forum!!!!!!! Please.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

Why not add a Sticky subject named "Complaints" in which we can complain about abuse of the forum?

If possible, could you make the posts on this new subject age out and be removed after a reasonable period of time?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that I wasn't paying close enough attention to new posts of late...but if you send your complaint to the same address the topic notifications come from (tom@...) it is the same as returning an objectionable contact email through the server, as that is how initial contact is made here--same address, there is no private messaging system.

Tom will see it directly.
Eric420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking about updating the form I think he should update it so that our profiles can hold pictures of our CED so we can see what everyone has like a CED photo portfolio.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We learned on another forums site that those can get spammed as well, and I'm not sure if there is a phpbb add-on for it.

The last copyright listed for the software creators is 2005, so there is probably a lot more to do than you'd think.

But you can find or start a thread on it and add yours, you'll need a photo host (skip Photobucket) or maybe we ought to have an upload option (delayed for approval).
Eric420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more like add a button next to the PM and email button where it brings you to a page that you can look at a grid view of CED covers, just upload all your photos from phone or computer , and maybe even be able to comment under the photos, and just saying if Tom is reading this Maybe a different color than light blue or gray would be nice update for the background :p
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpbb is up to version 3.2.x currently and I don't know enough about it to tell you if anything exists for this version or if it has patches/updates.

Support for version 2.0 ended in 2009. To gain the MODs and functions you want would probably require an upgrade, and for a small group like this that is pretty expensive (my experiences hearing about other groups and platforms).

I don't know which version this site uses but given the copyright dates of 2001-2005 it's a certainty that we are unsupported and there are no MODs available.

And Tom keeps it simple for a reason.

Let's put it this way, for an example. In the case of vBulletin there are still some 3.x sites I see regularly. The owner of vBulletin Solutions is called Internet Brands and they have a proprietary 3.x version that they developed for the forums on their sites and it's actually was a downgrade from 4.2.1 originally...and many I know say 5 failed miserably. Some made a clean break to Xenforo, which was created by a breakaway team of ex-vBs team members. It is used by at least two sites I visit regularly.

It's not perfect but it works well and seems easy to fix and adapt. This platform also seems easy to maintain as well, and the spamming is not all that frequent, just noticed more.

This site has a small membership base (of fervent supporters, of course) and as I already said, the software cost is prohibitive.
Eric420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a great site don't get me wrong I love having it. It would be nice to have a little extra
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I was a member of a small PC help forums site that just slowly died from attrition (we didn't even discover a member had died until I found his guestbook by chance just before it was to close and be removed)...that was embarrassing as he was beloved and then the site was hacked and it has a notice that the database was severely corrupted and the rest of it was removed, I doubt it will ever return.

I was there from 1997, it's like you lost a loved one. But we are lucky as we are. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI jma325 is a very common ID on a lot of sites and Google brings up at least SEVEN pages (haven't been though more than 3), many of which are registered with no posts or they haven't posted in 1-2 years.

I haven't been through the individual hits other than being told I have to log into one site, but I might consider them an active lurker/spammer, or a hijacked ID.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric420 wrote:
Yes it is a great site don't get me wrong I love having it. It would be nice to have a little extra

We can figure something out if we all think about it, Eric. It's just not as easy as hoped for probably.

And I returned a prior topic notification by replying, that goes to TOM, and reported the spammer.You can do this as well, that's how you report problems. Save the address and send him email if you have questions or concerns, he'll see it.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our spammer is now a guest, whatever that would mean other than we have valid posts in a thread started by a spammer...

THANK YOU!

And dumbchemist, if you'd like you can edit your posts and maybe the TITLE now if you'd like to/can and we can make this into a legitimate topic...

Or I think you can close it maybe, You have the helm...if you delete you now-opening post I wonder if the thread simply goes away?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: