CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You might need this. Keep an eye out for it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: You might need this. Keep an eye out for it. Reply with quote

I just won the auction for this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HITACHI-AVC08U-AUDIO-VIDEO-CENTER/232414269174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The above box allows you to feed 2 A/V composite video sources and 2 component video sources into it and the box will convert the video from 480 to 1080 lines and convert the baseband audio signal to digital for output through a toslink jack on the back of the box. The converted video signal is output through an HDMI jack on the back of the box.

I am thinking of feeding the A/V signals from 2 CED players into the box and feeding the HDMI signal into my AVR. Of course, you could feed 4 different 480 sources into the box, too.

I just happened upon the box when I did an E-bay search for "Hitachi video" and the box popped up. There were originally 4 of them for sale and I got the last one.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read it has an ATSC/QAM tuner as well so it handles your HDTV as well as SD sources. That sounds like an excellent purchase!

Let's hope the best for the shipping and that you are completely satisfied, I've got two NTSC Trinitrons c.1983 and use Digital Stream DTX-9900 and 9950 SD converters exclusively (that and they work great and are cheap used, still available I think through Walmart.com).

I tried a Zenith converter (developed a funky rainbow pattern over the luminance (B-W) and then quit, DishPal Jr was woefully inadequate in features and the customer service was horrid. I can find a Digital Stream as cheap as $5 now and then and keep spares as they do fail, the case is too small and they need a fan really, keep them out of tight spaces as they need room to vent heat or they will fail prematurely from overheating...otherwise they have a lot of features, are fairly easy to set up and have a 'signal strength meter' that gives you a red-yellow-green bar AND a 0-100 rating that stays up while you adjust your antenna or amplifier gain. Since I require an amp for a few channels that is a big help.

I had a refurbished Philips Magnavox HDTV once but the digital signals were actually grainy looking so I sold it to a friend who could figure it out. LCDs are for computers to me, I don't have to move my TVs much and monitors are okay.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This item is the same as what rixrex was selling bac in 2011. I refer to this:

http://www.cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1597&highlight=hitachi

He preferred it to other upconverters.

I bought one from rixrex bac in 2011; but I could not use it as I did not have an HDTV then. So I stored it away and now I cannot remember where I put it. This is what happens when you are 70 years old (ROFL).
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Hitachi that I bought from Rixrex. Ii was in its original box on the dining table with several laserdiscs on top of it. The LD's kept me from seeing it. Oh well, I opened the box, took out the remote, and put batteries in the remote. I then hooked up the composite video and stereo audio from my Sony MDP-600 player to the input 1 of the Rixrex Hitachi. I then connected the HDMI cable to the Hitachi and connected the HDMI cable to the HDMI2 jack of my Bravia HDTV. I then started playing an ELO LD and there was no response from the Bravia: no sound or video. I then took the remote control that came with the Hitachi and started experimenting. I found that pressing the CATV button followed by pressing the Power button would turn on the Hitachi. I then tried pressing other buttons when the sound and video came alive on the Bravia. The video looks good except that the video is fair because it was shot under lowlight conditions. I will have to try a better LD. (It seems you need the remote to operate the Hitachi.)

I tried the LD "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"(1978) The video is good to excellent and the sound came out of the Bravia's speakers. The video fills the entire screen of the HDTV. I would not know that the video is 480 upscaled to 1080 it is that good.(Other people may have a different impression.) There were no instructions in the box so I will have to do some searching. I cannot understand why they were not in the box.

I replaced the LD with "The Little Mermaid" (1989) and the picture was better I Wanna Hold Your Hand showed jaggies along the edges of items in the picture. The jaggies were not present in The Little Mermaid. It maybe the difference in age (1978 vs. 1989).between the 2 LD's.

The next step is to see how well the picture from a CED survives the 480 to 1080 "stretch".
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been meaning to try and get back in touch with rixrex, i hope he is doing okay
lokaloka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this price high or not? I have similar devide at home and I do not need it anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: