CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED Data base website maybe similar to www.lddb.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: CED Data base website maybe similar to www.lddb.com Reply with quote

wondering if anybody has heard of somthing like www.lddb.com but ced's instead. lddb is going to start a VHD database, but I wish they would make one for ceds!!!!
mnallard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should the database contain as far as content? I think that Tom's database works, eventhough some titles can't be found in current movie databases.

Plus...the rarity of some of these titles makes almost impossible to have a complete CED database.

Post your thoughts![/quote]
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

well I think it maybe helpful to some people. I think it should have the same thing as lddb. I was thinking of emailing them the idea
mnallard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I said that I'm trying to do the same thing on my website? Would any of you be willing to send information on CEDs that I don't have so I can create this database? I'm not sure if the disk space geocities allows me to have will work or not but I'm going to try.
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Sounds good. What kind of info would you need?
7jlong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been an LDDB user for over two years, one of my main hopes was that somebody would emulate this for CED.

The inclusion of VHD at LDDB is a glimmer of hope.

I think we may want to talk to Julien Wilk - the owner of LDDB - and see if he would be willing to include CED as a subset, like he already does with DiscoVision, MUSE titles, etc.

Here's the thing - the data is all easily obtained thanks to Tom's hard work over the years. The cover art - a user-contrbuted component of LDDB - is also already done, thanks again to Tom. Julien has been working on his site so long, I'm sure the addition of 1,300 titles when compared to the massive 40,000 LD titles would not be a great hardship.

WAIT! Before it appears that I am gratuitously trying to steal what Tom sells via his CED Collector's disc or pile Julien with work just to make my life easier, let me say that I am more than willing and open to discuss compensation in both directions - as far as I can tell, both CEDMagic and the LDDB (which by its very nature is a massive undertaking in both effort and bandwidth) are privately run, with no advertising or other tedium. These guys deserve some help, compensation, or both. I don't have much to give, but perhaps if all us interested users put our effort behind this we can come up with something.

Here's what I'd be willing to do - I'd be delighted to try to broker some kind of arrangement with both Julien and Tom to make this happen. Who knows what the outcome would be, but it never hurts to try. I will send both of them a copy of this post and a note today to see what their thoughts are.

For those of you who have not seen the LDDB, please check it out and imagine what it can do for CED collectors...

- ability to catalog your collection with all the data easily available
- scripts to output your collection to common data formats
- cover art for titles - user submissions welcome if nothing else
- statistics of how many copies are out there, wish lists, user by state (which could tie in to the great mapping service Tom just tapped into), etc.

... and much more - please go take a look (I don't know how this would all adapt to CED; maybe the VHD addition will be a good indicator)

Again, when compared with the 40,000+ titles Julien has already catalogued, CED is a drop in the bucket... maybe we can make something happen.
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds great. Let me know if you need any other information please let me know, although you look all set. If you need anything relating to technical information about the system, as I restor and repair vintage electronics.
mnallard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way sounds good. The only plus on my website is that there would be no compensation. I'm only trying to support the CED Community as best as I can. The information that I would require are those for CEDs I don't currently own. The only time I would use TOM's database is to see what titles I am missing. I'm not sure whether or not to just list them like Tom has done, or alphebetically. I am currently working on a sample title and when it's finished, I would like for you guys to view it and tell me what you think. It IS called RCA VideoDisc Support for a reason. I'd like for it to eventually grow into a place that people can turn to for anything CED related. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

As to the information I would need are as follows:

Picture of CED (Front only)
Title
Running Time
The Movies Rating (e.g., PG, G, R, etc.)
Whether movie is in Color or B/W, Stereo or Mono

I don't plan on adding a viewer rating for a while. The information I plan to use to give an idea of what the movie is about is what is printed on the back of the titles in a shorter form. Those that submit the information will have their name posted on the titles they submit. This is the only compensation I can afford.

Post your thoughts, let me know.
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think you should do what LDDB does, have people enter in the information if they dont see their own disc's there. I would enter your collection, then let people put their own in.
mnallard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Yahoo! Geocities will let me. If so, how could I add that feature? I'm only allowed 15 MB of space (talk about your limits!) and have over 10 MB left to use. I'm open for suggestions!

Idea I have also thought about just adding a link to the movies I have for sale. By clicking on the title, the link would then send the viewer more detailed information about that title with a picture. Just a thought.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: RE: CED Databases Reply with quote

I'm willing to give permission to use the front caddy images from the CED Magic CD-ROM for either the LDDb or the one Mnallard is working on. I only ask that credit be given to CED Magic for the image, as the LDDB already does on the DiscoVision images borrowed from the BlamLD site (here's an example):

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc.php?id=28367

I don't have any time to contribute to the project, so it would be up to others to resize the image, upload the file, etc.

Another thing that would be helpful is the creation of entries in the IMDb for those CED titles that presently do not have pages there (the unlinked titles in the CED Magic database). Interestingly, someone (I believe Bob Huck himself) did this for "Memories of VideoDisc." If you click on Bob's link on the IMDb page, it reveals he appeared in an episode of the TV series "The Littlest Hobo" in the early 1960's. The IMDb link can be found at the bottom of the Featured CED page:

http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/memories-ced.html

--Tom Howe

Last edited by cedmagic on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: RE: CED Databases Reply with quote

cedmagic wrote:
I'm wiiling to give permission to use the front caddy images from the CED Magic CD-ROM for either the LDDb or the one Mnallard is working on. I only ask that credit be given to CED Magic for the image, as the LDDB already does on the DiscoVision images borrowed from the BlamLD site.

James, Tom,

You've got personal Email, tell me what do you think!

Regards,
Julien

--
http://www.LDDb.com/ - LaserDisc Database
7jlong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All -

As the LDDB admin mentions above, I have received a note chock full of enthusiasm and ideas about how to implement CED in the LaserDisc Database.

First, mnallard, I do not wish to trample on anything that you're working on now. I think it is terrific that someone is taking up this initiative, and thank you for it. But, if you haven't, I really encourage you to take a look at the LDDB - the structure is already there, and as Julien mentioned in his email to Tom and I, various aspects of the database he has set up could be adapted comfortably into the CED world.

Julien has also mentioned full credit and links to Tom's site, which is not difficult to imagine - user contributions on the LDDB are thoroughly noted at every turn, from new title submissions to corrections to cover art... even to laser rot reports.

In the meantime, I will be in touch with Julien regarding technicalities, and will contact Tom regarding purchasing a new copy of the CED Collector's Disc - I am loathe to admit that I don't know where mine is at the moment!

So, with this, I hearby volunteer to:

1) coordinate implementation of CED on www.lddb.com and relevant fields (some of the LD items can be stripped away) with Julien

2) insert as many titles/images and attendant data as I can

... which is quite a bit in and of itself.

Once the structure is in place, I will post a message to the CEDMagic board. Data entry and organization is terribly easy on the LDDB; perhaps even an enjoyable experience - I hope the CED community is interested in uploading whatever information they might have!

Once that's all taken care of, I think all of you will enjoy the LDDB features that allow you to catalog your personal collection - which you can then keep to yourself, or share with the world.

Incidentally, how could I not mention my LaserDisc collection, neatly organized and stored on LDDB!

7jlong
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: CED Data base website maybe similar to www.lddb.com Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
wondering if anybody has heard of somthing like www.lddb.com but ced's instead. lddb is going to start a VHD database, but I wish they would make one for ceds!!!!

I'll make a 2nd pass and make sure the titles are consistent with the LD ones. But from now, I need you, you, you!

Tons of information missing... Reach your CED shelf and submit updates to fill the holes!

http://www.lddb.com/list.php?format=ced&list=all

The list control is some limited. Global search will not find CED titles yet. To list more titles on a dingle page, add &max=100 to the URL to show 100 titles/page.

Regards,
Julien
--
http://www.LDDb.com/ - The LaserDisc Database (or should it be TDBFKALDDB? The DataBase Formerly Known As LDDb? Wink )
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to fill in some information, but everytime I hit submit, it wouldnt do anything...........
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
went to fill in some information, but everytime I hit submit, it wouldnt do anything...........

Argh... What did I forgot? I tried to login with a default user account and post a submit and it worked normally...

If you used LDDb.com before, please flush the browser cache as the javascript includes changed!

Regards,
Julien
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope still dosent work.
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: CED update Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
Nope still dosent work.

I can see 2 updates from you "test" and "RCA..." on Apocalypse Now.

Did you get a blank screen on these or was it successful?

Rgds,
Julien
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the information that i inserted, but when I press submit it takes me to another page. Sometimes if I enter information one at a time it wont do this, but that would take FOREVER!
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
that is the information that i inserted, but when I press submit it takes me to another page. Sometimes if I enter information one at a time it wont do this, but that would take FOREVER!

I just tried multiple fields and it's working as well, resulting update (most fields have meaningless values) is there:

http://www.lddb.com/ced.php?update=4

Could you try again?

Regards,
Julien
7jlong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating seems OK for me; I tried the three titles that are for some reason living under my desk and seem to have been succesful...
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7jlong wrote:
Updating seems OK for me; I tried the three titles that are for some reason living under my desk and seem to have been successful...

Processed!

Note for everyone: the "Dolby Surround" description is solely based on the ** or *** rating from the CED Magic US list. "Dolby Surround" might not be printed on the cover but title was listed as being potentially surround (just like most pop music stereo CDs are today, without claiming to be surround at all).

Rgds,
Julien

Last edited by LDDb Admin on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDDb Admin wrote:
owenatverrs wrote:

I just tried multiple fields and it's working as well, resulting update (most fields have meaningless values) is there:

http://www.lddb.com/ced.php?update=4

Could you try again?

Regards,
Julien

well ive tried about 14 different times on 6 different computers, and it aint working!
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
well ive tried about 14 different times on 6 different computers, and it aint working!

What browser, what OS?

Cookie enabled, javascript enabled?

Rgds,
Julien
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nestcape on one computer at home and Opera on the others in my house. My ones at work all have Internet Exploere
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
I have nestcape on one computer at home and Opera on the others in my house. My ones at work all have Internet Exploere

OK so a pretty large test base. I remember another user who had problems to update but only on a specific title number that was never explained.

I will inject some debug on CED update pages for your specific User ID (dump of SESSION, GET and POST) and ask you to try another time, then check what's missing.

Will keep you informed!

Sorry for the temporary troubles,
Julien

Last edited by LDDb Admin on Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I submit an update, this is the site it takes me to:http://www.lddb.com/ced.php?action=edit&do=process

its just blank.........nothing happens......????????
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
When I submit an update, this is the site it takes me to:http://www.lddb.com/ced.php?action=edit&do=process

its just blank.........nothing happens......????????

Hello,

I'll upload my debug output tonight on the CED update. A working update should look like this:

Code:
do ... pass
Include ... pass
Check ... pass
Update ... pass
Rank ... 10

Your update should be available here

Followed by 2 or 3 PHP errors which are normal.

If your display stops before, it will give me a clue on what I should be looking for in my code (session issue, include issue, MySQL issue, etc.)

Regards,
Julien
LDDb Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDDb Admin wrote:
I'll upload my debug output tonight on the CED update.

Done!

It will also show a dull dump of POST values. Could you try and copy/paste or make a screenshot of the failing result?

Rgds,
Julien
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo it works!!!! Will be entering more movies tonight. Like I said before, it would come to a screen with nothing displayed with nothing. Thanks a bunch. When will we be able to add the movies to our collection??? Soon I hope. If you want, I can email you movies, that I complete with all the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: