CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tech help for RCA SJT-400 - no video or audio but disc loads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cedmickey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Tech help for RCA SJT-400 - no video or audio but disc loads Reply with quote

Hi guys I picked up a RCA Selectavision Model SJT 400. I have used these players before and I have a few working mono players RCA and a Sanyo . I got this one because it's stereo. So I know how to change belts and the stylus and so on. So here is what's is going on. There is only one belt on this one but it's missing. So I know I have to order one. So I'm able to load a disc with the cover off the player. I'm able to move the gears to load the disc out of the cady and then remove the cady from the player.
The disc is then loaded by me moving the gears that the belt would normally do and it then loads the CED disc and the turtable starts to spin at a fast speed. Then the stylus does move over on its own to the start point of the CED to play the disc. But then nothing happens. So my question is what should I be looking to do to fix this. I checked the fuses and the correct stylus is in the unit and the stylus looks fine. In my opinion the stylus is not setting down on the CED to begin playing the disc. ok any help would be very much appreciated. Is there adjustment that I can make so the CED makes contact with the stylus.
I hoping someone can help me

Mickey
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where you can find the service manual:

http://manuals.lddb.com/CED_Players/

It may help you.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once the stylus arm stops, listen for a faint click. if you dont hear that click it means the stylus isnt being set down.
cedmickey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's help. I did put a belt on it out of one of my other players. So it's loading and unloading discs no problem. But I do not hear a faint click. So I know the stylus is not setting down. How do I adjust this to
make it do It. Any ideas from anyone would be helpful.

Thanks

Mickey

SelectaVision420 wrote:
once the stylus arm stops, listen for a faint click. if you dont hear that click it means the stylus isnt being set down.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say start the testing of the unit with a known good cartridge. If you have just the one cartridge, send it to cedatum, they test and clean them for free and if it needs to be repaired /rebuilt they do that for a small /average fee. I just sent them 4 cartridges and they all looked fine but 2 needed repair one needed total rebuild and one, was in fact , fine. Even the service manual states, pretty much before any troubleshooting step is to test the player with a known good cartridge. I'd say your hearing would have to be pretty good to hear it "click". i can hear it on my f/g series players but I never noticed it on my j/k. I think the slightest back ground noise would probably prevent one from hearing it.
cedmickey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
I would say start the testing of the unit with a known good cartridge. If you have just the one cartridge, send it to cedatum, they test and clean them for free and if it needs to be repaired /rebuilt they do that for a small /average fee. I just sent them 4 cartridges and they all looked fine but 2 needed repair one needed total rebuild and one, was in fact , fine. Even the service manual states, pretty much before any troubleshooting step is to test the player with a known good cartridge. I'd say your hearing would have to be pretty good to hear it "click". i can hear it on my f/g series players but I never noticed it on my j/k. I think the slightest back ground noise would probably prevent one from hearing it.

ok I tried a different stylus so the player does work so I'm going to send that stylus in for repair. Thanks for everyone's help

Mickey
cedmickey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:

ok I tried a different stylus so the player does work so I'm going to send that stylus in for repair. Thanks for everyone's help

Mickey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: