CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with a Hitachi VIP1000 player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Problem with a Hitachi VIP1000 player. Reply with quote

I have a VIP1000 player that I tried to use this AM. (Mind you, it has not been played in about 6 months.) The player would accept the disc, raise it and spin up to full speed. The arm drive would move over to the start position; but, it would not stop. The arm drive would then move across the spinning disc, reach the end of the disc and then return to the standby position with its LED flashing. I first thought that the stylus may have been the problem so I tried 5 other styluses with the same result. I had replaced the arm drive belt and the loading belt had been replaced about a year ago.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this %#$^^%& player? It is as if the stylus was not touching the disc.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
cbertra2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the arm moves over to the start position the arm stops then the stylus drops down. If the stylus does not detect the disc it raises back up then returns to the standby position. Seems like it never finds the start position and keeps going till it hits the return switch. Look for some kind of start position switch.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
When the arm moves over to the start position the arm stops then the stylus drops down. If the stylus does not detect the disc it raises back up then returns to the standby position. Seems like it never finds the start position and keeps going till it hits the return switch. Look for some kind of start position switch.

I started up the player without the cover and observed the arm drive. To start, it is in its rest position. I then press the play button and the arm drive starts to move; but, does not hesitate to let the stylus down. Instead, it moves across the disc, stops, reverses direction and returns to the rest position.

I was wondering if there is a default or "factory" position for all the moving parts inside the player? I have had to replace the belts and in the process, I have had to move the gearing around so they are not in their normal position.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Today, I was checking out the interior of my VIP1000 that I had mentioned in this thread earlier. I had checked out my copy of "Complete guide to Laser/Videodisc PlayerTroubleshooting and Repair"and found a reference that there is a disc sensor inside some CED players. I checked inside the VIP1000; but, I could not identifiy a "disc sensor". I got to thinking about it and decided to try something. I removed the disc from the player and placed the top circuit board back to its normal position. I then put the top onto the player and replaced the stylus with one from another VIP1000. I then loaded a disc and tried to play it. The Time pointer moved across the disc and stopped at '0". Since I was not convinced that it was playing, I left the player for about 7 minutes. I came back to it and the pointer had indeed moved to about the 8 minute mark. I unloaded the disc and tried the above again and it worked again.

I have had the cover off my Sears 934.54780150 player and had it play with and without the cover. Is it the Hitachi players that have an optical disc sensor which can be fooled by ambient lighting? Since I now know the above, I will be more careful with lighting when the top is off an Hitachi player.

I forgot to mention that I also oiled the linear bearings that the arm drive moves on and the "loading mechanism" that raises and lowers the disc platform. I used tenacious oil that you can get from Amazon.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
johngreve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..there is some sort of optical sensor there....I went through the exact same thing with a Sears player....cover off it would do as you described and just turning down the lights it would play fine. It took me a while to realize that light was affecting the operation of the player.
I also had a Realistic CED-1 player that did this with the cover in place....I gave that player away at the last workshop but it turned out the stylus was bad causing this....a good stylus was all that it needed in this case.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngreve wrote:
Yes..there is some sort of optical sensor there....I went through the exact same thing with a Sears player....cover off it would do as you described and just turning down the lights it would play fine. It took me a while to realize that light was affecting the operation of the player.
I also had a Realistic CED-1 player that did this with the cover in place....I gave that player away at the last workshop but it turned out the stylus was bad causing this....a good stylus was all that it needed in this case.

It is funny about the disc sensor. I have an Hitachi VIP2000 player that I am working on that seems(?) to be acting as if it has an optical disc sensor. You can insert a disc in it, the turntable spins up and that is all it does. The turntable does not rise and the arm drive does not move. T'is a puzzlement.

I also have a Realistic CED-1 player that I bought off an E-bay seller. He had received the player without a stylus. He said that he put a spare stylus in it and it played very well. He sold me the player without a stylus. After I received the player, I put a spare stylus in it and played a disc and the player worked very well. I have this player on a shelf next to my AVR so it will be ready to use. (I have an Hitachi VIP1000 with an STA300 attached as my prime CED player right now.)

Now, if only I could find a stereo adapter for the CED-1 so it could play stereo discs.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
cbertra2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The STA300 will work on the CED-1.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
The STA300 will work on the CED-1.

I should have been more specific on this. Page 9 of the owner's manual for the CED-1 states:

"Stereo sound will come later, because we are designing a stereo adapter and as soon as that is available -and Discs with stereo audio are available- you'll be able to enjoy full stereo sound with your visual entertainment.".

I was wondering if the stereo adapter was ever produced and if anyone has one of them. I do agree that the STA300 will fit the CED-1 (even though I have not tried it yet.). I would use an STA300 on my CED-1 if I could find another one. As I stated before, my STA300 is dedicated to a VIP1000 player right now.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830

Last edited by dumbchemist on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two of the STA300s and I used them on the Sears, CED-1 and Hitachi. Hitachi made all three of these players so if Sears and Radio Shack had released a stereo adapter it would have been identical to STA300. Only the model number and name would have changed. Always liked the Sears player best because of the led readout.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
I had two of the STA300s and I used them on the Sears, CED-1 and Hitachi. Hitachi made all three of these players so if Sears and Radio Shack had released a stereo adapter it would have been identical to STA300. Only the model number and name would have changed. Always liked the Sears player best because of the led readout.

The only other CED sound adapter I have is a DSA100 made by Toshiba for the players that they built. I have a Wards GEN10301 which I will have to tear down to get at its pulleys. Once the player is working, I will be adding the DSA100 to it. I do have its wired remote control.

I bought both adapters in the same month off e-bay sellers. Previously, I had only seen one adapter on E-bay and the price was just too high for me back then (maybe 4 or 5 years ago.). To see more than one adapter on E-bay was a distinct surprise to me.

I can remember buying my first Sears player, 934.54780150, back in August 1983 and there being no advertising of a stereo adapter for it. The digital time display is a neat feature that some IEEE must of thought of. (I still have the player and it still works. I have changed both belts in it and oiled the arm drive.)

Over the years, I bought my second Sears player, 934.54810350, which has stereo builtin so I do not need an adapter for it. I guess that the engineers had a choice to make: keep the digital time display and no stereo or eliminate the time display and keep the stereo sound. I am glad that the stereo sound won out.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a grooved pulley and the round belt plus the other two belts for your Wards player. I have been grooving my own pulleys close to 20 years and never had one fail. I simply cut a 1/8 wide half round groove in the center of the existing pulley. If you are interested, post your email address so we can go over the exchange of pulleys and the pricing.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
I have a grooved pulley and the round belt plus the other two belts for your Wards player. I have been grooving my own pulleys close to 20 years and never had one fail. I simply cut a 1/8 wide half round groove in the center of the existing pulley. If you are interested, post your email address so we can go over the exchange of pulleys and the pricing.

We have been over this sometime ago; but, I will repeat it here so that there is no error:

I send you the old pulley and a check for $30. In return, you ship me a regrooved pulley, a bore reducer and 3 belts. Your zipcode is 46237, your house number is 6611 and your first name is Charles.

Am I correct so far?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: