CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need the average weight of a CED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacRorie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Need the average weight of a CED Reply with quote

Folks,

First time post here. I have tried searching for this information, but cannot seem to find it. I picked up some discs and am now trying to get a good portion of them back home in my suitcases (I brought extra for this express purpose), but I need to know the average weight of a CED. I mean it should be pretty standard, but I am allowing for some variance. I seem to recall it was about a pound or a pound and a half, but I cannot be sure. Need to get as many as possible i the suitcase and then ship the rest.

Thanks!

I used to have a large collection (1000+ titles) and then had to move . . . The collection got sold off. I have tried to stay away from CEDs they keep pulling me back in!

Thanks
-Marlin
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's about 3 lbs. At least that's what I tell people
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

each one weighs 1.5 lbs a piece.
MacRorie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
each one weighs 1.5 lbs a piece.

Quite right. I took one to the post office. I ended up shipping 130 discs from Wisconsin to California. $100 total. I double-boxed and padded them. Let's see if all five boxes make it in one piece.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put a lot more packing into it than my last package. It just had a single layer of cardboard wrapped around 15 discs.
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
MacRorie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All five boxes made it. Had they not been double boxed, I do not think they would have made it.

Speaking of how other people ship CEDs: I received a single box with 40! discs in it. 10 of them were crushed on the corners, unusable. If I am *real* lucky, maybe I can find someone with blank caddies to save the title, but I doubt it. Here's the kicker: Inside was a note form the USPS: "We're sorry that we damaged your package. We know you expect your mail to arrive undamaged." Not kidding you. Of course, I cannot blame them too much, 40 discs in a single box is ASKING for trouble and that is even with sufficient packaging. This had two pieces of bubble wrap and a crunched-up newspaper.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of another story.

I purchased over 300 discs not too long ago. It was a pretty good purchase with a lot of them in nice shape and close to a hundred sealed.

One of them was the Nicholson/Lange The Postman Always Rings Twice. It was a movie I hadn't seen but wanted to. I noticed the caddy was a little dirtier than the rest with a sticker on the front. I put it in the player and it started up good but the scene seemed weird. It was a swamp scene with Ned Beatty, who wasn't listed in the cast on the cover. Then I noticed in handwritten words on the sticker, "White Lightning". Somebody stuck a different disc in the caddy on purpose I guess.

After inspecting the rest, I also had two copies of A Place Under The Sun but one has a sticker with "Cat Ballou" written on it. Also got two copies of Into The Night but one is missing the disc but not the disc holder. "Metalstorm" had a nice caddy but was missing the disc and holder which probably isn't uncommon with leaving the discs in the player.
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: