CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SJT 400 stopped playing mid-movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngreve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: SJT 400 stopped playing mid-movie Reply with quote

Hello all fellow CEDers..
I was watching a newly purchased movie today when at the 31 minute mark of the movie the tv screen went black and lost the audio too. This is on my best player, the sjt400. I hit reject and then play again and the player was not able to start playing the disc...only the repeated clicking sound was heard. I tried a known good stylus with the same results.
Does anyone have any additional tests I could make to try to determine the nature of the failure?
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say regardless of the problem you'd have to at least remove the cover to fix it. I had a new to me player and I don't remember the sequence of events but at some point in time the cartridge arm moves back to what I'll call it's "home position". On this player it would get almost back to that position and then just "click-click-click". The clicking in this case was the gear driving the 3rd reduction gear causing it's teeth to just skip over the gears of the 3rd reduction gear(It's extremely flexible in the areas where there is not a "spoke" to firm it up). This was happening because on the back of the faceplate aligned with the stylus arm sweeper there was a small rubber pad and it had come unglued and was lodged into a position where it prevented the cartridge arm to fully return to it's "home" position. When it hit that obstruction the gear driving the 3rd reduction gear would continue to turn but the 3rd reduction gear was unable to turn so it flexed enough to just continue to skip over it's teeth. That's just one llllloooooonnnnggg scenario.
I can't think of anything that could be fixed with the top cover in place though. I'd start by removing the cover.
johngreve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually turned out to be a stylus.....the known good stylus was a stylus that I removed from a working player a while back. For whatever reason that stylus wouldn't work any longer.
I have a handful of NIB stylus and just tested them all.....really odd as all the white cartridge styluses would not work even though they've never been installed in a player. All the blue cartridge styluses work fine. 9 blue that work great and 11 white that don't work. I understand that the only difference between the two is the diamond tip....one being man made the other a natural diamond. I don't recal which color is which though......
Can anyone shed some light on what happens to the white cartridges after they sit for years...why they won't work any longer.
I want to send them off to CEDatum and get the experts opinion.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if all of the styli you have were in their box with the foam padding. the foam has been known to off gas a corrosive chemical as it deteriorates that ruins the fly lead. cedatum can fix that issue no problem!
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why CEDatum (or someone) had posted about buying the "new in box" styli from ebay not necessarily meaning it is a working unit.
johngreve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had NOS NIB unused stylus's for the J players with flyleads that had corroded off and those stylus come in cardboard boxes...no foam.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: