CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will there be a CED workshop this spring ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngreve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Will there be a CED workshop this spring ? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been a long time member but mostly inactive in the hobby for the last 5-6 years or so. Just lately my interest has been reinvigorated.

I stumbled across the YouTube videos of last years CED workshop and found them to be very interesting. I had no idea guys were still doing this sort of thing yet.
I was wondering If this is an annual thing or if it was pretty much a "one and done" sort of thing last year?
I'd be happy to step up and host something of this nature again in my home if that helps. I live in the Milwaukee,Wisconsin area.
Thanks for reading....
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to ask Josh/Ketonic Dude and I think the first time was fun but didn't pan out as well as he had hoped financially. The biggest problem was probably traveling for many of us, some had to work as well...maybe you are closer to more members but a lot of us seem to be on the left side of 'Canada's Pants'.

You might ask if he still has the literature or any of the t-shirts left, I bought that package as I had no way to get to Indiana if they brought me in with R. Dean Taylor (umm, oldies music joke, Indiana Wants Me, um yeah).

If somebody had put some of the technology in a museum it would have been really nice but it was such a massive thing and also mergers and acquisitions don't leave detritus and souvenirs behind often, even manuals disappear. This makes it really ridiculous trying to fix vintage audio and video equipment too, and THEN THERE ARE THE REALLY LONG GONE AND OBSCURE COMPANIES...
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is a fair amount of interest and an even fairer amount of time for the potential attendees to all agree on a place and time thats fair, its a tough thing to put together without a hitch. Considering how spread out we are divided by how many of us can actually afford to take a trip the likelyness of them happening more than anually goes down.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2016 Workshop was great and I'm sure we will have another in the near future. I didn't set anything up for this year (2017) in hopes that someone else may want to take the reins, so to speak, and give it a go. But nobody has stepped forward yet. It was quite an undertaking to get it all set up but I think everyone had fun and it's great to meet everyone and learn new stuff. I have been talking to someone on a Laserdisc facebook page about maybe merging a convention/workshop together for next year and have a Vintage Media Convention that would include, Laserdisc, CED, VHD, VCD, HD-DVD, Betamax, VHS, and any other obsolete video formats you can think of. It would be more broad and a Workshop portion would just cover basic maintenance and repaid of a few different formats and then there would be a large swap meet where everyone can admire others collections, buy/sell/trade, etc. But we will see how it goes and what happens. More details will follow.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great idea. Where was last year's workshop held?

It would be cool to have it in Indy, home of RCA, but Chicago area may be a more central location.

I like to attend the Louisville Arcade Expo in the spring every year. They have a bunch of arcades and pins that people bring for free admission. They also have separate rooms for vintage home computers and consoles. That was where I first played a Vectrex.
Since getting into CEDs and other vintage media, I've been wishing for a place to share my love with other collectors. I've thought taking some of my collection to LAX to show off there. Take my front projection TV. Make a RCA kiosk like they used to have at trade shows. Maybe even sell a few players and discs if people were interested.

I would be happy to do that at your workshop or convention if you have it.
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the folder and shirt etc from the last one, I simply can't afford travel...Would have LOVED to meet the members at last year's affair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: