CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFT100 problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTeh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: SFT100 problems Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Sorry for my poor english, I live in Russia, and it's not my native language obviously. Very Happy I'm collecting rare video equipment (ex-USSR reel-to-reel EIAJ-1 and VCR videorecorders mainly), but was interested in CED format for a long time. Recently i bought SFT100 player on eBay, some problems with color were described by seller.
It was not easy even to turn it on (we have 220V 50Hz, so I use old multistandard UPS to create required 110V 60Hz).
Now this player have following problems: after loading a disk turntable speeds up and after a few seconds it shows picture, but it has vertical waves, distorted color appear sometimes. Display shows "--" (switches to " -" after some time). Rapid access and Fast scan buttons are not working, only Pause button picks up the needle. Pickup arm mechanism works fine (motor makes small steps and there are no skips in picture). Turntable belt is in good condition (I'll try to check turntable speed with strobe disk anyway).
It looks like those problems could be caused by defective 15 Volt Regulator.
Quote:
Loading indicator "L" flashes slower than normal and the display indicator may stay in "--" mode permanently after a disc is loaded and the player attempts to initiate play. Pickup arm may suddenly run forward without any buttons being pushed.

I'll try to check main voltages soon, but maybe someone had the same problem and can give me direct solution.
Thanks for this great site! Very Happy
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was me, I'd probably start off by sending the cartridge to CEDatum and he will inspect the cartridge and clean it for free, and then inform you of it's condition. He just did 4 cartridges for me. It's $35 plus the postage to mail it back to you for a complete rebuild. It may still be good but need some sort of repair so that may only cost $20 or something plus the postage. That way you can examine the disc and make sure there are no scratches or other problems with it and then you can attempt to play the disc with the repaired/rebuilt cartridge and then see what problems you have. The problems you describe could possibly be all be caused by a defective cartridge, and if they are caused by something else you probably wouldn't be able to repair it with a defective cartridge. contact cedatum.com
RTeh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason was in my UPS - it created frequency different from 60 Hz, SFT 100 turntable speed depends on power frequency. I adjusted UPS and got color picture, sound, working time counter and controls, but turntable speed was unstable (periodic color distortion). It looks like magnetic ring... has demagnitised. I tried to correct placement of synchronising plates, this adjustment corrected turntable speed but after some time in work it was unstable again.
So i removed those sync plates and corrected output frequency of UPS to get stable color picture - now I have working CED. Very Happy Maybe this solution may be useful for all early CED models with magnetic ring problems (I use old APC UPC 500 with FREQ.ADJ. variable resistor inside + computer power supply as 12V supply instead of battery).
Video of my CED with Ghostbusters disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gTkVVgW0GE
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!

While reading your post I wondered if the problem was with the conversion in current. I don't have much experience with that but I imagine it can be tough sometimes to get a consistent current.

I just visited with John over at CEDatum and he went through the inspection with me. I was having trouble with my turntable speed. I oiled the shaft myself but he showed where the speed control was and adjusted it. No more of that problem so far. Now it's just dirty or worn out discs.
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Oreozapie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I recently obtained a SFT 100 player as well. It seems to have an issue playing discs. I took the top off to see what might be happening but I could not see any obvious issues. When I load the disc and move the lever to PLAY the disc starts spinning but the flashing L will not stop and the stylus will not advance. It looks like both belts are intact what other things might cause this problem, the micro controller ROM being corrupted? Any help would be appreciated. Smile
HopePorter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic and all vital path is fundamental for the races. All the goals of the magic and https://topwritingservices.net/bestdissertation-com-review/ is done for the turns. The matter is discussed for the top of the moves for all shows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: