CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbs92

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Hello Everyone! Reply with quote

First post, and today finally my first buy of a CED player! I've only recently learned about the format a month ago and instantly wanted to learn all I can about this intriguing format. I just bought Blazing saddles and Indiana Jones movies just so whenever I found a decent price player I would have something to play. A day after I bought the movies I found a RCA SJT 300 on Ebay, I really wanted a stereo model and the a/v hookups so it was somewhat modernized. It's listed as broken with the load door half open and whirring motor sound when powered on with the load symbol. I know it's really common for the belts to deteriorate and am hoping that's all the problem is. Would that be the symptoms for a broken load belt? And any other common problems I should look out for? Thanks in advance and so happy I found this community!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sjt 300 should come with a remote, i hope yours does too! welcome aboard. Cool
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's just one belt and it's probably gone or slipping. the cartridge may or may not be good. The soft touch controls may or may not work/ may or may not stop working. 3rd reduction gear may be broke.
I haven't got around to viewing any of my discs yet but I think having a "junk" manual load player would come in handy for inspecting discs. I have a sft100 (I think that's the model) with the cover off and I plan on using it to inspect the discs I want to play. I just think that's an easy way to take a look at the disc as opposed to going thru the motions of getting the disc out by hand. In another recent post on here I gave links to the service manuals avaialable, I would reccomend those. Also reading any info you can find. Asking questions on the forum usually gets good responses.
I don't know if it's true but I kind of look at CED players as the last of an all American electronics device. Everything designed and built in Indiana, doesn't get much more American than that.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 300 works great, and many more thanks to Ketonic Dude (Josh) for sending it to me!

Get it going and it will be a real treat!

Welcome to CED Magic and our forum!
hobbs92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jsdspif for a run down on some of the problems with the players! I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking at it. It should be 4-5 more days before it's delivered. I'm hoping the cartridge and stylus are in good order though. I don't want to wait another couple of weeks for it to get repaired, I'm to excited to play my first movie haha.

And selectavision420's unfortunately it didn't come with a remote but hopefully someday I can find one on eBay or something.
hobbs92

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the player all the problem was the load belt! Even had a disc inside. Unfortunately the shipping was poor and looks like it was dropped so the faceplate and gear for the arm is broken. I also got the turntable to spin but it's catching on something. Does someone know how to raises the turntable height. I found a bolt on the bottom bit there isn't a screw inside of it.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information you want is somewhere here or on the parent site (lose the forum.., part and you are there).

I'm sorry that your 300 was damaged. Do you have a photo host so that you can post pictures of the damage? There are other 300s on eBay right now that could also provide parts, although it sounds expensive at the moment.

Make certain that you notify the shipper as well as eBay and the seller, if there was any insurance on the package you will have to anyway. If you want to keep the player and repair it you might be able to receive a settlement on it with eBay otherwise. eBay has a guarantee program on it's items.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsdspif mentions checking the discs by opening them up. Is this necessary? I got the impression it's bad to expose the discs to open air because of dust. I can't imagine you would be able to see anything anyways. Like a record I'm sure they could be worn out from so many plays but could that be seen visually?
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can possibly see some damage to the disc on visual inspection. Removing it for a few seconds probably won't do a lot to it, especially if the room is clean and smoke free. Don't touch it of course and make it brief and not often.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why I like to load them in a manual player with the cover off. Just load them in the manual player, and look at it. It's so much easier than manually removing the disc from the caddy. When I have manually removed a disc I have some cotton gloves I use for cleaning lp's (33 1/3 rpm phonograph records) that I wear but I still try to not touce the grooved surface. You may not be able to see tiny defects but if the disc happens to be cracked or have obvious damage then you would know not to attempt to play it. I got a player and the seller stated "tried to play a disc and it wouldn't play right and now I can't get the disc out". The disc literally looked as though someone had used it as a frisbee because it was pretty messed up. I'm sure if the stylus wasn't bad before he attempted to play that disc, it was that disc that damaged the stylus. That's the obvious type of damage I speak of. If you were to have a disc like that and attempt to play it without first giving a quick visual inspection, there goes your stylus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: