CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picked up my first Zenith VP2000 for $1 today! But...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
binary_omlet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Picked up my first Zenith VP2000 for $1 today! But... Reply with quote

It doesn't power up. The thrift store I got it at didn't even know they had it. I just want to say this thing is in STUNNING condition. The outside is beautiful as well as the inside. I did have to open it due to not getting power and even the belt and the stylus is in good shape. I've posted on various other places through the day and no-one seems to know what is wrong with it, which is how I found y'all. I've watched what little repair videos I was able to find and I can't seem to find the blatent issues those had on my board. Am I missing something? Here is an HD photo gallery of the VP2000, inside and out. I've repaired a lot of older electronics and have a pretty good eye, but I'm just not seeing anything wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/nwa08
jsdspif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably stating the obvious but have you checked the fuse on the power supply area? I'd also like to know where everyone goes to find these deals. My local goodwill, if they had an item like that they'd probably want $50 for it. I went in my local store to get a little George Foreman type grill and they had one, for 19.95. Went to the dollar store and bought a new one for 7.95. Our other thrift store never has much in the line of electronics. Congratulations though on your find. I'm always envious when I see this type of deal.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the big "light switch" controls a few functions, it operates a shaft with cams on it. it is possible the cams have gone out of alignment, or one of the cam switches are bad...
binary_omlet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
I'm probably stating the obvious but have you checked the fuse on the power supply area? I'd also like to know where everyone goes to find these deals. My local goodwill, if they had an item like that they'd probably want $50 for it. I went in my local store to get a little George Foreman type grill and they had one, for 19.95. Went to the dollar store and bought a new one for 7.95. Our other thrift store never has much in the line of electronics. Congratulations though on your find. I'm always envious when I see this type of deal.

This was some little roadside thrift shop that has all of their stuff outside except for a little barn of stuff. This thing was on a shelf and covered by a pillow that was super dusty, so no telling how long it had been there. Was really just a lucky spot in my case. Goodwill is trash now, I haven't found anything worth while there in YEARS. My local one literally has trash on the shelves. It's disgusting.

Checked fuses and boards, everything looks brand new. Like it's only been used once in it's whole life. Even the fan duct had only a tiny sprinkling of dust. I have no clue what could be wrong with this thing.

SelectaVision420 wrote:

since the big "light switch" controls a few functions, it operates a shaft with cams on it. it is possible the cams have gone out of alignment, or one of the cam switches are bad...

Someone on reddit actually suggested the same thing! It was perfectly fine however. This big guy has stumped the hell out of me.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say it was perfectly fine, what did you do to make confirmation? the switch it self could be bad. although it is not likely, usually the cams are misaligned and cause the player to work in the wrong modes.

anyway i am looking in my VP2000 manual for you now i will leave a link for you to my help desk
with what i find here ~~~> http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16329#16329
binary_omlet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
when you say it was perfectly fine, what did you do to make confirmation? the switch it self could be bad. although it is not likely, usually the cams are misaligned and cause the player to work in the wrong modes.

anyway i am looking in my VP2000 manual for you now i will leave a link for you to my help desk
with what i find here ~~~> http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16329#16329

Thank you so much! As for checking it out, there is no physical damage. No burning, scaring, smell, etc. Multi-meter seems to being getting electricity. I'll crack it open again when I get back to the house. Thanks!!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

binary_omlet wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:

Thank you so much! As for checking it out, there is no physical damage. No burning, scaring, smell, etc. Multi-meter seems to being getting electricity. I'll crack it open again when I get back to the house. Thanks!!

glad to help out! Cool
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on your troubleshooting?
binary_omlet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Any news on your troubleshooting?

None yet I'm afraid...
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at your photos and that one blob of a solder joint looks rather messy to me.

Have you thought to desolder it and redo the joints?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: