CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenith vp200 RF issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Zenith vp200 RF issue? Reply with quote

I’ve been watching a couple movies on my zenith vp200 when I started to notice a couple of waving lines that only seem to be produced when audio pass through the system or sound effects. I m either thinking that a cap needs to be replaced or a grounding issue or is it just a side effect of the RF passing audio through the cable?

I’m also thinking of moding the system with a switch that would allow me to bypass the audio from the RF modular to RCA jacks or back to the modular. I would need points of the board that would have the audio signal before it reaches the modular.

I would think that this simple mod might be a good way of improving the RF signal so that the audio won’t interfere with the picture quality since the no audio inference going to the modular.

Any advice will be appreciated thanks!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have RCA jacks as well, no? Try using them and a splitter cable for the mono audio if needed and use the composite jacks on your TV. If you have herringbone patterns or signal strength problems via the coaxial output this is another avenue to test.

Don't forget to test your set with other sources to eliminate problems with the TV.

Sorry I'm late responding, I've been a combination of pretty busy and ill and it seems others are on the Facebook group and maybe not paying ATTENTION (ahem). A few of us won't touch FB with a stacked Yagi.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith vp200 RF issue? Reply with quote

Good luck on finding any literature on non-RCA players. They (the manufacturers) must have had a bon fire in order to destroy any documentation relating to their players when RCA declared the CED format was dead. I have been checking E-bay every day looking for any technical literature for CED players. So fay, I have found very little. The main players I am interested in were built by Hitachi which includes Sears, radio Shack and Hitachi. I should think a current or a former Hitachi employee would have such documentation and would be willing to share it with us CED hobbyists. We would be interested in player troubleshooting and adjustments only We are interested in bringing back ailing players from the edge of trashing to be fully functioning players. Maybe an electronic repair shop would have the literature stored away?

PLEASE:

If you worked or had worked for Hitachi and had access to CED literature:

Would you be willing to post your literature so it can be seen by the readers of this forum? (You could send it to me and I would have it scanned so it could be posted.)

As you can see by my signature, I have 8 Hitachi chassis players and not all of them are working, (This is why I need technical literature for the CED Hitachi players.)
:
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the zenith is Rf only.. I haven’t really tried it on another tv.. it’s kinda ironic you mentioned the tv! Since it’s a Samsung slim HDTV crt that has a digital tuner that up scales all signals to 1080i so now you got me wondering.. I’ll have to hook it up to my RCA colortrak tv.

I’m not a Facebook person either..
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you set it for 480p and anamorphic/stretch?
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidental double post funny iPhone!

Last edited by Skaredmask on Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the Samsung TV. Can you adjust the scaling/resolution?

I have old Sonys and use 480p converters to view DTV. I don't have cable, it's all antenna reception.

Last edited by kitchensynch on Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... the tv a Samsung txs3082whx xaa and doesn’t offered 480 I/p unless told by source component. It has zoom 1 that’s 3:2 pull down and zoom 2 and stretched And 4:3.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you tried stretched (anamorphic)?

Your TV ought to be able to handle all signals, analog or digital.

The other notion is possibly that you have underscan and are watching the blanking interval at the top and bottom or maybe you do have an interference problem.

So do stretch the picture and you should look over the manual again to determine the troubleshooting procedures for the Samsung set.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember that 4:3 aspect is not equivalent to 3:2, 14:9? or 16:9. You will have blank space. Lots of it. The 4:3 image will be smaller and be boxed by black space. Stretching it is not perfect by any means, you will lose edge images due to formatting problems. You probably can't fix that and will have to live with a compromise.

Your NTSC TV is a good choice but you should try to adapt to the reality of the Samsung.
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 4:3 dose have the black bars for the correct aspect ratio. I think it’s mainly do to the converter to digital conversation. It doesn’t offer noise reduction. It’s seems like my wega didn’t have this issue when I was using it.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few Digital Stream DTX-9xxx series SD converters and two Trinitrons from 1983. And YES, I do dig David Sarnoff's stuff, especially the studio cameras and early TRK sets.
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the Samsung quite abit but mainly got it for HD movies and video games. I might be able to pass it through my TOSHIBA D-VR5SU that might help with the conversation.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I used to have a VHF only New Vista 19" black and white set as well (New Vista = Nuvistors).
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

analog alley sells a service manual that covers 2 different sears players. One is like a rca sft type and the other player it covers is a hitachi type. I bought a copy but it has warnings with it not to share it re-sell it etc. I once posted a documentary that is no longer available on youtube and the legitamate copyright owner got lawyers after me very quickly so I'm not going to share or redistribute my manual just in case. I also wonder if analog alley actually owns the rights to the material or they just want to sell their stuff. It's actually though just as informative and in the same style as the rca service manuals so if someone really wanted a copy I think the $20 (I think it was $20) isn't all that bad . I don't know how I came across it. I used it for a sft repair
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was from SAMS they are quite litigious and will get on you in a heartbeat sometimes.
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried hooking the zenith VP 2000 to my color trak tv and audio interference still happens. Anyone got anymore ideas? Almost wonder if it need a new stylus? Or could it be the platter speed? Thanks again.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever solve this?

Have you moved or powered down other items around it like computers, digitally tuned stereo gear, DVD players?

None of this was really around when your player came out.

It could also be possible that something isn't grounding well, like when you would be AM or CB in your phonograph or line inputs of your stereo...I used to get an AM 12 miles away in my record player until CB or amateur operator showed me how to fix that.

Of course, that station closed earlier this year, problem solved/moot although I did like the station,
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have not.. I’ve been pretty busy as of late!! I had to put the zenith into storage right now but it still has interference. I’ll bring it back out in about 2 weeks.
fertooos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have RCA jacks as well, no? Try using them and a splitter cable for the mono audio if needed and use the composite jacks on your TV. If you have herringbone patterns or signal strength problems via the coaxial output this is another avenue to test.

Don't forget to test your set with other sources to eliminate problems with the TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: