CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you bring home today?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: What did you bring home today? Reply with quote

On another forum I participate in, there's a thread where people post what they got recently with pictures to ogle over. I thought it would be a fun thing to do here in my new hobby.

First thing I did was ebay search all CED sellers to see who was closest. Luckily I found someone a half hour away. I told I'd pay for them before looking at them which was a mistake. Some of the labels are discolored and the caddys have yellowed a little.

There are quite a few movies though I've never seen. Besides Mary Tyler Moore, Love Bug, Splash, and Pretty Baby I haven't seen any of these.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messy caddies are not the big deal. If they play is the big deal.
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Messy caddies are not the big deal. If they play is the big deal.


I'll try them out and let you know. Razz

I just brought this home so now I have something to try them on. It's an RCA, made July '82. Pretty stoked to get him warmed up. Cool

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W Shocked W!

You did not waste any time!
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
W Shocked W!

You did not waste any time!




Laughing It was a coincidence. I was searching CL for CED related stuff and saw the ad for this TV. The ad had been up since Christmas and it was priced at $250. I texted to see if he still had it and he started texting me pics and dropped $50 without me asking. I'm really happy now I just need something to watch as my SFT-100 seems to need work.

Now it's sombody else's turn. What did you bring home? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other two bikes from the shop and the phone bill from the mailbox...nothing quite so impressive.

Pray tell, is this related to a Sony model? I know Zenith made projectors, Sony made them, Kloss, Pioneer but rear projection 'bigscreen' sets were to become a lot more popular, especially since the screen didn't need to be curved, and the early Sonys only used two CRTs as well. These are not common birds anymore!
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
My other two bikes from the shop and the phone bill from the mailbox...nothing quite so impressive.


Are you actively looking for something right now or just browsing flea markets and antique malls for anything interesting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much...I can't get much of anywhere with the snow and ice we've had! I got a third Radio Shack line amp (15-1113A, an Archer) so I could split the long run into my bedroom and not have to tweak between the TV and radios for the oldies station that was moved from a 22 kilowatt transmitter nearby to a 250 WATT translator by the new owners, who placed it on the HD4 signal of their country station and also our local AM station (there is a workaround where you can get a translator as long as the service is on an existing station and that is partly how we got it in FM stereo again, but I have to ride the gain a lot in the bedroom as opposed to much less right by the antenna up front, also presents loss and degradation of TV signals in the UHF and even some high VHF but far more on the longer run). So I got the third 15-1113 to solve this.

If you go OT I'm finishing payments on a 1951 Rollfast and most of the parts I need except the handlebars, rims, tires and a chain, will find the tank and rack, truss rods and paint it this summer/fall...then I'm also finishing a 126" girls Huffy from around 1966 and just giving it away. That's paid for and coming. I bought four good used records including Yes (Going For The One), Bee Gees (2 Years On) and two Orchestral Manoevers In The Dark singles.

My indoor cat has started to develop kidney failure so I had to get prescription food for her. And It would have been my parents 50th anniversary next week if Dad hadn't died 5 years ago so I make it a tradition to get mom a couple roses and dinner...I wanted to get a big party together for that but alas...

The snow was deep and heavy for the last month, a lot of buildings collapsed across the Valley, mine house and lot got cleared out, only lost one shingle and down near the bottom where it isn't as bad. I'm liucky in that respect.

It really didn't help to get shingles on New Year's Eve either. UGH.

Nervewracking, but I'm here.
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fluffy73



Joined: 26 Aug 2014
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went wacky on eBay last night. Had a little bit of extra cash to burn, and there were a bunch of CED's with Buy-It-Now's that looked good and weren't former rentals. So, I spent just under $50 (including shipping) and got:

Used Cars
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
M*A*S*H
Taxi Driver (looks MINT!)
Blazing Saddles

and I'm considering pulling the trigger on a copy of the Breakfast Club, but there seller wants $12. Gonna stew on that one for a bit. I've had reasonable luck on eBay getting good discs so, I don't mind the risk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shopping!

I think that's a good price for a great movie that you will probably watch more than a few times. Also a later title near the end of production.

I have seen more combination disc and player auctions lately, which are not very practical due to the shipping costs for the discs and safe shipping consideration in larger numbers. Those who sell individual titles might just be here, you never know...
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffy73 wrote:
I went wacky on eBay last night. Had a little bit of extra cash to burn, and there were a bunch of CED's with Buy-It-Now's that looked good and weren't former rentals. So, I spent just under $50 (including shipping) and got:

Used Cars
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
M*A*S*H
Taxi Driver (looks MINT!)
Blazing Saddles

and I'm considering pulling the trigger on a copy of the Breakfast Club, but there seller wants $12. Gonna stew on that one for a bit. I've had reasonable luck on eBay getting good discs so, I don't mind the risk.


Are you willing to pay more for mint?

I'm at the point now where I'm just looking for anything cheap. I'm sure I'll get to being more discerning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Not so much...I can't get much of anywhere with the snow and ice we've had! I got a third Radio Shack line amp (15-1113A, an Archer) so I could split the long run into my bedroom and not have to tweak between the TV and radios for the oldies station that was moved from a 22 kilowatt transmitter nearby to a 250 WATT translator by the new owners, who placed it on the HD4 signal of their country station and also our local AM station (there is a workaround where you can get a translator as long as the service is on an existing station and that is partly how we got it in FM stereo again, but I have to ride the gain a lot in the bedroom as opposed to much less right by the antenna up front, also presents loss and degradation of TV signals in the UHF and even some high VHF but far more on the longer run). So I got the third 15-1113 to solve this.

If you go OT I'm finishing payments on a 1951 Rollfast and most of the parts I need except the handlebars, rims, tires and a chain, will find the tank and rack, truss rods and paint it this summer/fall...then I'm also finishing a 126" girls Huffy from around 1966 and just giving it away. That's paid for and coming. I bought four good used records including Yes (Going For The One), Bee Gees (2 Years On) and two Orchestral Manoevers In The Dark singles.

My indoor cat has started to develop kidney failure so I had to get prescription food for her. And It would have been my parents 50th anniversary next week if Dad hadn't died 5 years ago so I make it a tradition to get mom a couple roses and dinner...I wanted to get a big party together for that but alas...

The snow was deep and heavy for the last month, a lot of buildings collapsed across the Valley, mine house and lot got cleared out, only lost one shingle and down near the bottom where it isn't as bad. I'm liucky in that respect.

It really didn't help to get shingles on New Year's Eve either. UGH.

Nervewracking, but I'm here.


So you're into old bicycles? Interesting.

Where are you located that's getting so much snow? Here in southern IN we've gotten some flurries today but nothing significant. It's been a mild winter so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southeastern Oregon, at the Idaho border in what is called the Treasure Valley. Out neighboring counties in Idaho (Payette and Washington) have been declared disaster areas and many of the on ion packing facilities in the area lost their roofs as well, meaning a 50 lb. bag has basically doubled to nearly $7.00! Schools were closed for a long, long time and some are still in danger.

Businesses and homes have collapsed, two grocery stores were closed, one of them lost (that town's only supermarket, the local hospital moved it into one of their buildings) and on the other side of Oregon in Bend an entire elementary gymnasium fell in (nobody was in it)...

The water content of the snow coupled with subzero temperatures and then thawing, rinse and repeat made for heavy ice on roofs that just didn't look that bad but building after building went from here to Boise, an avalanche across one highway that doesn't normally see such things and unexpected snow we hadn't seen in decades, if in a lifetime. El Nino let his sister La Nina run the show and man, was she wicked!

We'll be okay, the flooding danger is much lower since the ice jam broke on the Snake River, and I guess that good side is that the irrigation season might be pretty good for a change. Nobody thought about bout this a lot or seems to have in our local governments...but it did all come in less than a month.

PS The codes for our roofs were only meant to withstand about half of what we had. My roof and lot are cleared, I'll be fine.
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fluffy73



Joined: 26 Aug 2014
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmbjunky wrote:

Are you willing to pay more for mint?

I'm at the point now where I'm just looking for anything cheap. I'm sure I'll get to being more discerning.


I'm willing to pay more for still sealed or tested/known good discs. I haven't bought ANY CED's in the past year and figured I'd go for a few - movies especially that I have never seen like Butch Cassidy. I've also never seen Taxi Driver or MASH in their entirety, so figured what the heck.

Blazing Saddles is just classic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a picture of the RCA MTT131 I picked up along with the TV. It's very different from what I'm used to with a record player. I had never seen a linear tracking before and the repeat, rewind, and fast forward buttons are neat.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SelectaVision420



Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 1321
Location: Hartford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, that is the more basic of the 2 linear tracking record players RCA had for their dimensia line, i have the other drawer style hooked up to my dimensia and i love it!
_________________
(2)Sears 274 & 934(80150,10&11350),sft100,sgt250,sjt 090-400,vp550, VP4000!
'84 Dimensia Owner
caddy.daddy.fleetwood@gmail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SelectaVision420



Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 1321
Location: Hartford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmbjunky wrote:
kitchensynch wrote:
W Shocked W!

You did not waste any time!




Laughing It was a coincidence. I was searching CL for CED related stuff and saw the ad for this TV. The ad had been up since Christmas and it was priced at $250. I texted to see if he still had it and he started texting me pics and dropped $50 without me asking. I'm really happy now I just need something to watch as my SFT-100 seems to need work.

Now it's sombody else's turn. What did you bring home? Wink


nice find! i have a test generator too, an RCA one to boot
_________________
(2)Sears 274 & 934(80150,10&11350),sft100,sgt250,sjt 090-400,vp550, VP4000!
'84 Dimensia Owner
caddy.daddy.fleetwood@gmail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fromabove



Joined: 16 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Location: sweden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 65 years old and remember well when CED was launched in the early 80s. I can not recall that I ever saw models as them on the pictures here with beautiful frames in wood. As I remember all was made in plastic. My grandmother had a ”radio-gramophon” she bought in the 50's. It had a frame in lovely dark jacaranda and cost a fortune.
_________________
john hanson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this service manual for $18 shipped and snapped it up quick.



Then I had a longing for some new CEDs so I bought a load of 29 for $40 shipped.



Right after, this load of 48 for a buy it now dollar popped up recommended by ebay. I didn't even look at it before I bought it

<a>IMG 0423</a>

When I read 48 I thought maybe there were parts missing to the two disc movies but the doubles were all there. So there were actually 64 discs. Complete Jesus of Nazereth in box and The Life of Michelangelo with booklet in box. Pretty cool. [/img]
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I picked up the discs I asked the lady if she had a player. She said she sold it and shipped it but the buyer didn't want the discs. I looked up her ebay account to see what kind of player it was. It was an SJT-200 that sold for a dollar. DOH!
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
dmbjunky wrote:
kitchensynch wrote:
W Shocked W!

You did not waste any time!




Laughing It was a coincidence. I was searching CL for CED related stuff and saw the ad for this TV. The ad had been up since Christmas and it was priced at $250. I texted to see if he still had it and he started texting me pics and dropped $50 without me asking. I'm really happy now I just need something to watch as my SFT-100 seems to need work.

Now it's sombody else's turn. What did you bring home? Wink


nice find! i have a test generator too, an RCA one to boot


I just figured out what you meant by a test generator. I'm a little slow.

This TV generates a test itself. No extra hardware needed.

Also do you want to sell your front loading turntable? I'd like to find one eventually. Lol
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



My parents found these four at a flea market. Movie Movie is a good movie that I never heard of. I always loved the Clyde and Clint duology.
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



I found this SJT-300 on Goodwill's website for $26. It came with the remote and two styluses (stylii?). Shipping killed it though so not really a great deal but still happy to have it.
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



And finally I got this Dimensia MTR 225 from an ebay seller for 30 bucks. He was fairly local to me but I waited awhile till I made a trip to the area.

I may have another big acquisition on Wed. We'll see...
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping is not cheap but $26 is worth that. I have a 300, no remote and like it a LOT.

Have you located a Dimensia CD player? I used to have one.
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping was around $160 because of the gigantic box they used. Oh well.

There is a CD player on ebay but it's $300. A little to steep for me. I got other things to buy anyways.

I've started to really want a RCA Surround Processor. There was one on Pawn America for $5 but they wouldn't ship and it sold.

Do different generations of Dimensia work together?
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have talked to them.

Josh/ketonic dude spent maybe $50 shipping my 300 to me. It is too late I gather to dock the seller for shipping...

That's abusive.
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dmbjunky



Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Location: Odon, IN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was my mistake and inexperience.

The Goodwill listing said no shipping. I called them and they recommended the local UPS store. I don't know if the box was a temp box from Goodwill that UPS used or something UPS packed the player in.

I'll do better next time.
_________________
RCA PGR100WR TV
RCA SFT-100, SGT-200, SGT-250, SJT-300, SJT-400
Zenith VP2000
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kitchensynch



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 898

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA!

THAT was the mistake.

Whether or not the 'UPS Store' was actually owned by UPS or a franchised independent packing/shipping place. Then there are surcharges that get slapped on for being 'rural' etc.

It sounds wrong to some but for Pete's sake, make them pack it themselves or skip it.

I got a cassette deck packed at a FedEx Office store once and all they did was wrap it in a lot of BUTCHER PAPER and put it in a large box. I was assured, and the person who sent it is one I've known and trusted for years, that the deck was in full working order when sent, and although there were no outward signs of damage, the deck would not engage in play because something was knocked loose perhaps getting bounced around.

Did you save the box and paperwork etc, to document, photograph and have a chat with UPS over?
_________________
A New Vista of RCA Victor COLOR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group