CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for new collectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for new collectors Reply with quote

My parents just got me an SFT-100 with 18 videodiscs. I'm already starting to look at CL and Ebay for a stereo player. I've also sorted my searches on ebay for the auctions in driving distance so I can go pick them up. I've already contacted a couple of local sellers and am meeting with them tomorrow to do some bulk buys.

I have a few questions. What are the good players to look out for? Are there certain ones to stay away from because of mechanical failures or are they all essentially the same? I've spotted a couple I'm watching on CL and ebay. Is it better to ask on the forum if someone here has a good stereo player for sale?

What about discs? What are some things to look out for? I've noticed the labels wear easily. Does that make a difference in the price you pay? Is edge wear negligible? How much do you pay for common titles? Do you pay more for double discs? Of the two sellers I've got lined up for tomorrow, one is quoting me 3 dollars per disc (no double discs in his 1Cool and the other is saying 4 dollars per but 10 dollars for rarer titles. The second one is an ebay seller and is going by ebay to get his prices. He says he has around 160 video discs with about 30 being duplicates. I'm planned to buy only around 20 of his titles.

Thanks for the help. I have some background in collecting pins and vids so I know how addictive collecting can be.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the f/g series mono players are pretty much the same thing as are f/g stereo players and j/k mono players and j/k stereo. as far as players to look for that probably is debatable but I like any stereo player that can use the 5 button remote control.
As for discs, I kind of think those prices are high. I bought a non working player and about 500 discs for a pretty low price, I'll just say less than a dollar a piece for the discs and the player was thrown in as a bonus. It's only a mono former rental machine but it has a cartridge (that's probably bad) but a cartridge none the less. I guess if you see some title and you just can't live with out it...
as far as rare i don't think most titles are rare. A few like the service alignment discs or the rca memories disc and the trip through the universe or whatever it was called etc. etc. but as far as movies go there are just so many available. For the most part any movie is usually available on ebay if not right now then maybe in a week.
It's nice to have a manual load old player, doesn't even need to work, with the cover off it and then you can load a disc in it to examine it. I think most of the time defects would be easy to spot. If it looks as though it's been used as a frisbee or been somehow abused than it's no good. I guess I'd say very very light scuffing from going in and out of the caddy is probably permissible, at least I have noticed that on very close inspection and I'm talking very fine. I do have one bad disc that was inside a player and it's obvious with scratches and what not. I don't know how much of a defect it takes to damage a stylus but I'm guessing not very much.
I think I'd offer maybe a dollar a piece if you're buying just a few discs but if you know of someone with say 50 discs I'd probably offer less. If you just keep an eye on craigslist you may find some locally. One nice thing about CED stuff there probably aren't any scammers listing fake ads for CED stuff. I was a little concerned going to pick up all my discs because it was about an hour and a half drive but it was just a young mother who inherited the discs and player and didn't want them. I think the people that have discs and don't want them would like to not have them around so they're willing to sell them cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: