CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laser/Videodisc repair manual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Laser/Videodisc repair manual. Reply with quote

I won this on E-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302136012496?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I plan on having scans done of the sections pertaining to CED repair. Since the book dates from 1985, it should cover all the CED players made. I will post the scans on the lddb.com website and will make them available on this forum to whoever wants a copy. The manual has 314 pages.

I will have more on this when I get the manual which is slated for delivery on 11/25.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude thats neat!!!!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to change your name to smartchemist, you've been on the ball big time lately Smile
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at this URL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASER-VIDEODISC-PLAYER-TROUBLESHOOTING-amp-REPAIR-LINK-HB-1985-/302136012496?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252BvUkSAKtZBqggdPTAKkpMj%252B5zYw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

you will see some photos of some of the manual pages. What caught my eye were 2 pages: one of an RCA SFT100 and an SJT player and another one of the Hitachi VIP"2000 player. If this manual can give us some clues as to how to troubleshoot/repair the Hitachi player, it will be well worth its $9.99 cost.

Here's hoping.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the book today. It is no easy read. The book is split about equally between LD and CED troubleshooting. The vast majority of the book consists of circuit diagrams with explanations of what each circuit does. There are drawings of various mechanical parts when required. To give an example:of CED troubleshooting, these are the first 6 sections listed in the Contents:

1) CED power supply and switch control troubleshooting,
2) CED stylus lifter troubleshooting,
3) CED stylus cleaner troubleshooting,
4) CED pickup-electronics troubleshooting,
5) CED Audio-demodulator troubleshooting,
6) CED Sound-beat (NLAC) troubleshooting.

There are a total of 21 CED troubleshooting sections.

The book is aimed at the RCA CED players (SFT and SJT). Other brands are mentioned; but, the author likes to generalize them as compared to the RCA players.

All in all, the book is not what I hoping for. I wanted a guide to repair the very simple things (belt replacements, lubrication). Instead, this book is aimed at an electronic technician with many years of experience in component replacement.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that DVD guide from the guy that ran CED Central? and I think it covered mainly F/G players. It was probably simpler.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
I got the book today. It is no easy read. The book is split about equally between LD and CED troubleshooting. The vast majority of the book consists of circuit diagrams with explanations of what each circuit does. There are drawings of various mechanical parts when required. To give an example:of CED troubleshooting, these are the first 6 sections listed in the Contents:

The book is aimed at the RCA CED players (SFT and SJT). Other brands are mentioned; but, the author likes to generalize them as compared to the RCA players.

All in all, the book is not what I hoping for. I wanted a guide to repair the very simple things (belt replacements, lubrication). Instead, this book is aimed at an electronic technician with many years of experience in component replacement.

dang im intrigued by that, do you still want it? i mean, i have most of the service manuals, but i cant help but wonder if its kind of an accessory to the manuals to be a go between? im kind of surprised it doesnt have belt replacement information...
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:

dang im intrigued by that, do you still want it? i mean, i have most of the service manuals, but i cant help but wonder if its kind of an accessory to the manuals to be a go between? im kind of surprised it doesnt have belt replacement information...

Would a PDF file be as good? I have not gotten a quote on scanning the book yet.

You mention belt replacement and you are right in that the book has no sections for belts. The index for B has 2 entries: Baseband signals and Black level adjustments. Nada for belt replacement.

In going through the book, I found a section titled: Introduction to Videodisc Player Troubleshooting. This section has the following subsections: CED Troubleshooting Philosophy, Video Test Disc for CED Player, Using the Initial Evaluation Flow Charts, Checking the Stylus Cartridge, Dead Player Flow Chart, etc. After the last section I listed, there are more flow charts as well as circuit diagrams with voltages and waveforms. You definitely would need a schematic for your player before you could use this book IMHO.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good scanner you can make your own PDF files. Adobe Photoshop will at least make single page PDF files, binding them would be the thing but I do believe there are other PDF maker programs out there and you might not have to use Adobe.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
If you have a good scanner you can make your own PDF files. Adobe Photoshop will at least make single page PDF files, binding them would be the thing but I do believe there are other PDF maker programs out there and you might not have to use Adobe.

I do not have a working scanner. The one I bought years ago gave up the ghost and refuses to work.

There is an office supply store in town that did the scanning of the SJT-400 service manual I have. They did a good job even though it was a bit expensive.

I am going into town Wednesday and I will get a quote. To start with, I will get pages 260 to 309 done. Those pages cover "Introduction to CED Videodisc Player Troubleshooting" and include many flowcharts for diagnosing problems that a CED player could have.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHEW! Perhaps we ought to chip in and let you get more goodies for Christmas dinner... but also, which operating system do you use?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
WHEW! Perhaps we ought to chip in and let you get more goodies for Christmas dinner... but also, which operating system do you use?

Linux Fedora 16 (I know it is old)
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
jsdspif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also bought the book but haven't received it. I can scan it and post it but I'm a little bit worried of copyright infringement. I posted a dvd to youtube a while back. I guess I'd call it a michigan produced documentary about professional wrestlings "Sheik". The dvd came out about 10 years ago and I had emailed them numerous times to see if it was still available and never got a reply. The day after I posted it I got a pretty nasty letter from the copyright owner so I immediately removed it from you tube. I guess I could do the same thing in this case. If I get a notification to remove it I will. I don't know the rules on that stuff. Could be the author is no longer alive and the publishing company is no longer in business so no one would care ??
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
kitchensynch wrote:

Linux Fedora 16 (I know it is old)

I used Maya (32) for a while, never tried scanning and only in a separate boot because I already had 7 on the C: and while I found the Firefox I had on that drive was working better for some php forums sites at the time (since fixed) I've always used Word Perfect and a few other Windows based programs that Linux couldn't get near.

I don't know much about other flavors but I have read that perhaps you need to find a different version at least, maybe you saw the story about the guy that basically tore his Fedora version apart based on it own flaws and not a virus, it could be long before that get's exploited...that being OT other than Tom's other passion is personal computers I think.

I don't know enough about Linux to tell you what you could use at the moment, it was always a sidetrack for me.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book is available from Amazon:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiHgp3Mh8_QAhUrsVQKHTgBCDEQFggbMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FComplete-Videodisc-Player-Troubleshooting-Repair%2Fdp%2F0131608134&usg=AFQjCNHUtTK06tR3ST4_Ek9413aeSnL0nA

I guess there is no need for me to have the book scanned.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that TOM may have bought and reviewed this book in 2002.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
I think that TOM may have bought and reviewed this book in 2002.

That is entirely possible.

I am going to add the "book" to my CED library: the book and an SJT-400 service manual. Not a big library, but it is a start.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started to glance at it. About the first half is laser disc and then the first portion of CED is basically what is found in the service manuals, just explaining the mechanical and electrical operations. Maybe almost copied from the service manuals. I'd have to put them side by side to know for sure. The publisher, Prentice-Hill, is still in business so I'm somewaht reluctant to scan it and post it. I'd probably say if you have an osciloscope/s and other test equipment along with the RCA test discs the book may be of some value. One thing to remember is in 1985 when the book was published not many people had access to the service manuals, so the book was really something for someone with electronics background to learn about CED players. But now that some of the service manuals are so available I can't picture the book shedding any "new light" onto the subject of CED players. I ordered mine from amazon , I think it was 3.99 and 3.49 to ship (or maybe the other way around) and it looks just like a brand new book except on one of the first few pages there is a date written on it as 1985 which is I assume when the original owner got the book?
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone thru all of the ced related material in the book. Like as mentioned before the book is a pretty even split between CED and laser disc. I don't feel the book offers any additional info than what can be derived from the service manuals but it does lead you thru the troubleshooting steps. I have a sears manual that does that but I believe the others don't guide you thru as well. I can say it would be kind of handy to have as you are working on a player. It would be right there with you and all of the numbers and letters are clear to see. Sometimes pdf scans do leave a little to be desired as far as reading the smaller print and enlarging it (at least for me ) seems to just make the problem worse. I think the book cost me about $7.50 and I feel it will be worth it for me as I work on some more players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: