CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone still have a CED repair business?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbrockhyde80

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Does anyone still have a CED repair business? Reply with quote

I can't seem to find people who actually repair CED players anymore. I was given some names by John, but I can't really get anywhere with them. Any ideas?
jbrockhyde80

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one has any comments on CED player repair these days? I think I already know the answer to whether anyone still operates an actual business for this purpose...but there's a reason I worded it that way.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only place I know of is cedatum.com , they installed real switches in the front panel of a player for me and also rebuilt a cartridge. I don't know how much other work they do. They did tell me alot of people drop off their players in person. This forum seems kind of slow as far as visitors/members. I check it pretty much daily but I think some people aren't on the computer constantly so they aren't viewing the forum as often as every day.
What is your player doing/not doing ? Something like replacing a belt isn't a difficult repair, and it's probably the most common problem on a unit with original belt/s. Another is on the j/k series the "3rd reduction gear" often breaks. I had a broken one on one of my units.
jbrockhyde80

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply/comment! I spoke with John @ CEDatum (approx. 2 or 3 months ago)..and he tried to help me diagnose the problem over the phone for almost 30 minutes and couldn't figure it out...but he said he no longer has time to do regular repair/reconditioning work. John gave me the emails for 2 different people on here. One of them used to be very active here...but now I don't see any recent posts by him. He never answered any of my emails.

The other guy I had a phone and email for him...and he called me back after a couple weeks and missed me. So then there was a back and forth sort of phone tag (all I have is a house phone, no cell)...and now I get the feeling he doesn't want to do it at all. Like the brush off.

I do understand that the 2 guys mentioned above probably have day jobs and just do this on the side more to help the CED community, than for $$$...which is part of the reason I asked about someone who does it as a business. If I've already had problems with someone else...I would rather be a customer of someone's than someone just doing me a favor if you know what I mean. (This time I want some recourse or a guarantee that I will either get it back working...be able to send it back to have it looked at again...or a refund. I already threw about $200 down the drain for nothing.)

This player was worked on by someone and never worked when I got it back from him. There was alot of miscommunication by email and then he screwed me big time. People will be surprised to hear who it was. Then he threw a fit and suddenly quit on me after years of CED repair. (And kept my money I might add.)

The reason I was surprised about no one commenting is b/c many people had viewed this thing and said nothing at all. You can see the views from the main page. I know there have been other kind of similar threads and I did read them...but none really answered this question. The most recent was about repairing a specific type of player and thats it.

As far as what my player is doing and my "story" thats a long one. Maybe I will put it in a separate reply.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of risk in taking on a repair, is the damage that could happen in shipping. i wish i could help more people, but i just really dont trust the shippers, and if the player ends up having a dead end issue like a bad chip that cant be replaced, or broken mechanical parts that arent made any more and require a parts player, it can be a headache for the owner of the player.
jbrockhyde80

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about UPS and FedEx if a person knows how to pack the players well it does cut down quite a bit on the risk. I worked in shipping for years and I definitely know what you mean though.

In my case, I know there were no bad chips, etc. John thought it might be something to do with turntable height adj or a few other things like that.

I definitely understand the risks of such a thing. I've been shipping CED players, LD players (really heavy ones like PR-7820s), heavy VCRs, Ataris, and Colecovisions, etc. to and from me since around 2002. I would think most people that have been into CEDs for awhile would understand. They haven't been manuf. for a long time and most people have to get stuff shipped to them since you can't just buy it at the store.

In the situation I had happen before, where this SFT100 was repaired and returned to me...I would have been happy to send it back to him at my expense (and have it returned to me at my expense) and even pay him more if there was additional parts required or pay for more labor if there was a new problem developed since he returned it to me...but when I emailed him to ask why he thought I couldn't get it to play...he just pitched a fit and said he quit. (He later said it was b/c he had 2 other recent customers who complained and wanted a full refund. I told him I didn't want anything back as long as he would work with me and take another look if it sent it back to try to fix this.)Then after a little back and forth via email...I just asked if he would take another look and he said yes at first. I told him I would have to wait a few weeks till I got more money together for shipping both ways and in case I owed him some more for more labor or parts. Then I emailed him back a few weeks later and he said no...he would not take another look at it and that he had sold all his tools and was done. I finally got him on the phone recently and politely reminded him of our agreement and that it was never fulfilled and he just said sorry Im done. I wasn' t unreasonable in any of this. In fact I didn't want to have to go though the whole thing on here....but I do want to show that I am a very patient and understanding person..and try to be easy to deal with.

With all that being said...does anyone have any ideas about anyone who services players? I seem to remember that just a couple of years ago (or at least sometime in the last 5 years) there were multiple people that had started to do some work on the side.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
a lot of risk in taking on a repair, is the damage that could happen in shipping. i wish i could help more people, but i just really dont trust the shippers, and if the player ends up having a dead end issue like a bad chip that cant be replaced, or broken mechanical parts that arent made any more and require a parts player, it can be a headache for the owner of the player.

Oh forget it. We'll all be dead too.

Then what.

All psychosomatic.

I'm not going to type a lot of stuff. Sorry.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the problem with it. Like "the turntable doesn't turn" or "it plays but the picture is black and white and should be color" that type of explanation.
Daxi Don

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: CED player repairs. Reply with quote

NOTE FROM CEDATUM.

The RCA CED players were made in Bloomington IN. The boxed players were placed on pallets and shipped to an RCA distributor in a semi-truck with air suspension. At no time were the players put on their sides, down side up or dropped. There is a risk shipping a CED player by common carrier. Internal damage or mechanical mis-adjustment can occur if the box is dropped on one of its sides or top. Also, if the original shipping protection is not installed damage can occur. On the RCA F/G players, if the shipping wedge is not installed in the stylus hatch, the stylus arm can break away from its support, On the RCA J/K players if the shipping tabs are not installed the stylus arm is free and can travel into the player and break a loading gear. Similar problems can occur with Japanese made CED players.

SERVICE RECOMMENDATION.
If your player needs a repair have it done locally. Find a technician who can work on consumer electronic products. Have the tech get the service data for your player. The service data manuals are well written and include trouble shooting charts.
CEDatum stocks a good sized inventory of electrical and mechanical parts for RCA made CED player. And we can usually answer technical questions.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the service manuals for the J players are available at:

http://manuals.lddb.com/CED_Players/

This is just an FYI.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CED player repairs. Reply with quote

UMM...There just ain't one in town. The 'customers' expect them to perform miracles and then treat them like dirt. The last one to try was out in just over a month and was more than adamant he would never do it again, and he was no amateur.

I don't relish going to the main one or two 55-60 miles away and I have no transportation options.

The stereo player Josh sent me worked like nothing happened to it.

It gets to be pretty dismaying because 'modern' electronics are such disposable crap that it pains anyone to fix it.

Daxi Don wrote:
NOTE FROM CEDATUM.

The RCA CED players were made in Bloomington IN. The boxed players were placed on pallets and shipped to an RCA distributor in a semi-truck with air suspension. At no time were the players put on their sides, down side up or dropped. There is a risk shipping a CED player by common carrier. Internal damage or mechanical mis-adjustment can occur if the box is dropped on one of its sides or top. Also, if the original shipping protection is not installed damage can occur. On the RCA F/G players, if the shipping wedge is not installed in the stylus hatch, the stylus arm can break away from its support, On the RCA J/K players if the shipping tabs are not installed the stylus arm is free and can travel into the player and break a loading gear. Similar problems can occur with Japanese made CED players.

SERVICE RECOMMENDATION.
If your player needs a repair have it done locally. Find a technician who can work on consumer electronic products. Have the tech get the service data for your player. The service data manuals are well written and include trouble shooting charts.
CEDatum stocks a good sized inventory of electrical and mechanical parts for RCA made CED player. And we can usually answer technical questions.

kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one good hand basically after I damaged some nerves in my right thumb spraying a TV...it affects a lot more than fixing stuff.

It is just depressing.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbrockhyde, what is the issue you are having with your player?

Last edited by SelectaVision420 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was originally getting stuck and repeating. I already made it worse trying to take it out of it's space in my cabinet cleaning and rearranging and it fell about a foot bonking the face, cracking it some and from then on it just flashed L. I hadn't been using it yet, hadn't tried to install the O rings Rixrex sent to me to temporarily fix the problem, it was playing in stereo with good video other than that before (I played Grease). I had no other working player at the time.

I did report this over a year ago on the forum. Of course the frankenstereo never did materialize after all that Mayhem, Josh sent me an SJT 300 that works great, and my copy of TRON he sent sounded and looked much better than a Dolby Stereo VHS copy on mid-80s VHS deck ever would have...

I have to take it out of the box and look it over anyway, the packing wasn't good enough sitting in the shed for so long and I have no idea what the shipping stuff looks like or if I still have the transport screws (if they go in another spot on the 300 for storage then I put them there maybe)...

I've been completely cleaning and decluttering/reracking/whatever around the house because I have to pass a housing inspection for my rental assistance and it has been the biggest chore, or it wouldn't if the cat hadn't gotten a cold and stopped eating for 12 days, putting me in a panic for lack of help with that and a zillion other things that one single old man of a househusband alone would have trouble with anyway, I have too many hobbies and am extremely efficient and finding stuff I like. The cat came out of it like nothing happened right when I finally had a ride to the vet's thank god. A finicky but loving old mama cat and her three buddies that live outside (all fixed) are what I've got.

If it weren't so OT I'd show you a few pics of my vintage and antique bikes I get around on. I know one of you 420s posted a DIMENSION system, the players are about the only RCA I have now as the Dimension series CD player (Hitachi?) I had years ago got sold. My New Vista B/W pre-UHF (optional) went to the recycler after the switchover...sorry, I had to give away a Raytheon built Trutone and Western Auto color roundie as well for lack of room, and I really miss the Hoffman StereoFi console that had to go before moving here. At least my antique tube radio collection has stayed together.

But YES, I do have a bum right hand now and use my index, maybe two of those fingers typing hunt and peck again. I haven't lost it's usage, but the loss of some feeling in the tips of the thumb and middle finger have made it interesting and I try to favor my dominant left side more now. That doesn't help carrying all the time or trying to do stuff with two hands.

It's going to be that way until I move to the grassy field next the to mall (cemetery).

I have to finish my required work to pass the inspection THIS time (it was only me, not the house) and then I have more time to open up cases and look in there.

You would freak out at the amount of audio and video recordings I can get in a small spare bedroom that I've been collecting since 1978, and a tonne of that is blank tapes. I've got to reconfigure it at least one more time and I still have enough space for a workbench and equipment (B+K, Tektronix 465M scope, old handheld NTSC pattern generators, soldering, tubes and small parts and a 12VDC supply...like to use it all more.
jbrockhyde80

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
what is the problem with it. Like "the turntable doesn't turn" or "it plays but the picture is black and white and should be color" that type of explanation.

The symptoms of my player? Well it goes from b/w to rainbow colored picture and some other stuff (I was trying to make a video of it...but that didn't work out), but I've already done everything myself that I'm comfortable doing. I even had John on the phone with me and after 45 mins he didn't know what it was after going over several things (w/o looking at it of course). This thread is more about servicers or if there are none...then volunteers who might want to take on a few a year for the right price.

Daxi Don wrote:
NOTE FROM CEDATUM.

SERVICE RECOMMENDATION.

As far as shipping players...I think most people know this. You have to pack them really well (and know how to) and be willing to take a chance. In case you haven't heard...CED players are sold on ebay every week and most are shipped...and I doubt they pay $350 or more for freight on a single CED player. I worked in the shipping business for years and I am able and willing to pack and ship it for service.

Most people don't have the luxury of using local servicers. There are 3 around here and I know them all. One only does warranty work on modern stuff. (I used to work with him.) One supposedly works on old stuff...but he's senile and about 85 and basically only does minor adjustments b/c he still only charges about $15 for repairs...he's a joke. If he can't do it in about 10 mins he will just tell you to buy a "new" one and that it's "un-repairable". The third servicer, if you can track him down at all, he will scratch his head and ask why you even want this "old junk" and tell you to go buy a blu ray player.

--------------------------------------------------------

By the way...one of the names John gave me finally got in touch with me. We talked for awhile and he's trying to help. I didn't get a chance to ask if he's just taking in a few a year or what...but we are supposed to talk again in the next couple weeks. He did say that he was busy and didn't have the time to get into electronics (board) repair and that I should talk to John about that. But if it is mechanical issues...then he may accept mine for repair. I maybe shouldn't say who he is until I ask if he minds if I put his contact info up....so more on that later. I also got another lead...but there's no one to vouch for him yet and so far I haven't even been able to get in touch with him.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find an RF modulator (some automatically switch between sources when the sources are turned on and off, you used to find a decent one at a Walmart even (like Philips-Magnavox or mine had no name but all had a wall adapter that said DVE). They often have 3 inputs with and S-video jack and composite on the back and one input as such on the front, or they did in the analog daze, composite and S-video out and mono sound on a coaxial out.

The problem with the unpowered ones was that mixing S-video and composite tended to mess up the board. You get lucky if you can find one in a yard sale that isn't dead as a door nail and they have no idea.

They have breakout boxes, if that's what you call them now that do a lot more now.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to copy an paste can't figure that out. Anyway, was turntable speed discussed? "Wrong color, pix not in sync is greatly controlled by turntable speed. While picture and/or color instability is most likely trouble with the time base correction circuit." This was taken from the manual for a sears belt drive model non stereo but I'm guessing it would be the same info for any model. if you haven't done something to lube the turntable shaft and or lube the motor (if it's a belt drive model) and possibly install a new turntable belt (again if it's belt drive) and then see how it works. Might be it's just running enough slower to affect the playback.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbrockhyde80 wrote:

The symptoms of my player? Well it goes from b/w to rainbow colored picture and some other stuff (I was trying to make a video of it...but that didn't work out), but I've already done everything myself that I'm comfortable doing. I even had John on the phone with me and after 45 mins he didn't know what it was after going over several things (w/o looking at it of course). This thread is more about servicers or if there are none...then volunteers who might want to take on a few a year for the right price.

was there any mention of sync plate gap adjustment?

i have a sears lightswitch model and it went from rainbow to b/w and it was just the sync plate gap was too wide.

symptom
https://youtu.be/B4pavV8_a-A

fixed sync plate gap
https://youtu.be/lWSfd7D_UEs
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there was but I think it was an addendum at the end of the manual. I have to leave the house and then do other stuff when I get back home but I'll find it and see what it says. Seems like you make a gage or something ?? I've been doing so much reading and trying to figure out my no audio. I was able to use my 'scope to see that I have the proper signal at the arm output that gets sent thru a lowpass filter into pin 3. I have that signal. But at pin 11 should have output and I have nothing and I think I'm supposed to have some sort of signal at pin 16 but I get nothing. That's the mono portion on the 3000 board, so my guess was that I.C. is bad. I haven't checked stereo board yet. I only have "just enough knowledge to make myself dangerous", That's where a friend of mine usually rates my knowledge. When I installed my oven I asked him "how much of a gas leak is allowed?" I then said "I went away and when I got home about 4 hours later I flicked a lighter behind the oven and it made a little poof. That's ok isn't it?) . He grabbed his phone real quick and started calling the fire department. I had to tell him I was only kidding.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the manual shows there was a gage that you installed in place of the turntable so you could see the 2 sync plates. There was also a gage which was a "go- no-go" one side was .015" thick the other was .050" thick. The thin side had to fit between the synch' plates and the "ring of the gage in place of the turntable and the thick side couldn't. The gage also was .400" wide and that was used to set the spacing of the 2 synch plates. This was mentioned in like a second or third addendum. And yes if they are not set properly it makes turntable go the wrong speed and causes the problems you were having. Curious how you fixed it if you don't have the gages?? On a side note- I was very good friends with the fleetwoods in my hometown. I think they originally lived in Portage , MI but when they moved to Mattawan, MI is when I became friends with them. Todd even rented a house from me for a few years. They used to have huge parties just about every weekend when we were in school. (late 70's early 80's).
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to remove the bottom of the player to gain access to the sync plate gap. and i used a regular feeler gauge. i have all the other tools though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: