CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hitachi repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badtheba

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Hitachi repair Reply with quote

Hey guys! Long time lurker, but I joined today to hopefully get some help. I drive my wife crazy with my collections, and she already thinks 6 Laserdisc players is too many. So when I hauled my CED player upstairs to play some old movies for my daughter, my wife almost went ballistic. Apparently she 1) didn't know I owned it, and 2) didn't know the movies weren't more Laserdiscs.

Anyway, the player failed to properly load or spin up the disc. Now I haven't used this player in probably 8 years or more, but it worked the last time I plugged it in (although images were noisier than I'd have liked). So it's current symptoms are that it will accept the disc, make a grinding noise for a short time, then the standby light flashes and no more noise. From reading online, I found that Hitachi players use a different loading system than other brands, and that the loading treat drops the disc down after insertion. It sounds as if it's never dropping the disc (it gets inserted at a slight downward angle), so therefore it never attempts to spin the disc.

The cover has two screws on the rear of the unit, then a screw on each side 1 1/2 inches from the from of the unit. With all screws removed, the cover does not lift off, and does not slide forward to release itself from the button panel. I can lift the rear up enough to barely shine a light in, and it appears there may be 3-4 clips molded into the plastic on the front. However, inserting a screwdriver or a thin pry bar where these clips appear to be does not release anything.

I'd appreciate any help from anyone that has experience working on these units with the cover off. Is it possible that the cover will only lift off if the tray is dropped?
badtheba

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, meant to say this is a VIP2000.
badtheba

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I guess I posted too soon. I inserted a disc, and even though the tray won't drop, I was now able to lift the cover straight up even though I wasn't able to before. No idea what was holding it on, because it wasn't budging before.

Anywho, the tray still isn't dropping, it sounds like a motor struggling for 5-10 seconds before it stops and the standby light just blinks. I'll see if I can further disassemble and see what motor or belt isn't budging and post an update if I find anything more.
badtheba

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after playing with it a bit with the cover off, it looks like it's just a belt that runs the gearing to drop the tray. Once I manually turned it and placed a disc back on the spindle, I can get a disc to play fine. Can I just use an o-ring from the hardware store in place of the stretched belt(s)? What about regreasing the nylon gears?

As far as playback goes, there is a fair amount of noise in the same areas all the way through playback. Most of it is horizontal flickering lines on the lower half of the screen. Because most of the noise is in the same places, I'm assuming it's a fault of the stylus or the player and not the disc. Also, occasionally on the first disc I'm playing now, video will drop out or skip while audio continues. Anyone know if CEDatum is still doing checks and rebuilds on stylii? I love having stuff around that no one remembers, and it will be worth my time to keep this in working condition for when I eventually get the basement finished.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ced atum is still open,

you can use something temporary as a belt to get the tray to raise or lower with the motor, but if the belt is too tight it can hinder its operation. its not meant for an O-ring but a square drive band, more like an elastic. a round oring may slip off or not make a good purchase and run inconsistently...

it is possible the stylus is dirty, but ced atum is pretty backed up and also john can no longer repair hitachi styli so if the stylus is damaged you will have to try to find another
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
yes ced atum is still open,

you can use something temporary as a belt to get the tray to raise or lower with the motor, but if the belt is too tight it can hinder its operation. its not meant for an O-ring but a square drive band, more like an elastic. a round oring may slip off or not make a good purchase and run inconsistently...

it is possible the stylus is dirty, but ced atum is pretty backed up and also john can no longer repair hitachi styli so if the stylus is damaged you will have to try to find another

Bad belts seem to be the bane of CED players. The RCA player belts change from a solid to a liquid from age. The "Hitachi" player belts stretch or liquify also. You can get new belts for your VIP2000 from Tom at CEDmagic.com. You will need to search the website to find the instructions. There is no cost as long as you do not ask for more than 4 belts/year. I ordered 2 belts and it took 6 weeks from mailing until I received them. So, do not be in a hurry for them.

It is a pity that CEDatum is not repairing the Hitachi stylii now. It looks like owners of such players will have to buy used players just to get stylii. To avoid that, I play the majority of my discs on an RCA player because you can still get its stylus repaired. I was fortunate to buy 2 extra Hitachi stylii off E-bay. I also have another stylus that I bought in 1985 so I am fine for a while.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why isn't CEDatum repairing Hitachi styli any more? The one they repaired for me works great.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
Why isn't CEDatum repairing Hitachi styli any more? The one they repaired for me works great.

they are physically out of stylus tips and associated parts. best he could do is repair the fly lead on one.
CEDatum

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Hitachi stylus cartridge repair/rebuild Reply with quote

Hitachi discontinued support of their CED products in the early 1990's. Until recently we were able to obtain substitute parts to repair Hitachi stylus carts. Now these sources are gone. We are still able to work on Sanyo and Toshiba stylus carts as they can use RCA parts. And we are busy with RCA stylus work.

Note; Beware; Do not buy CED stylus carts from on-line sources unless the seller offers a money back guaranty. These cartridges were 'new' 30+ years ago !! CEDatum has received a number of 'new' carts recently from CED hobbyists and they don't work and have to be repaired.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks- guess I'll mainly just use my Hitachi PAL player from now on, and cannibalize my NTSC players to keep that going.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badtheba, glad you found the problem. as everyone stated you can get the belt from Tom's CED Magic site here,

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/belt-replacement-guide/belt-specs.html

If you look up your VIP2000 on the chart you will see that it uses 3 belts a timing belt, which is the big long clear or clearish red belt in the back. A Arm Drive belt which is on the left rear if you have the front of the player facing you. This is a small rubber belt that usually just stretches out over time. Finally a loading belt under the loading tray, which is the one you are having a problem with. This belt also gets stretched out over time. I would reccomend replacing both the Arm Drive and Loading belts at the same time.

You can use a product called phono lube, this is what it looks like but I wouldn't buy it from Amazon, too expensive. You can find it on ebay for around $12-$16 usually.

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Electronics-10-1223-PHONO-LUBRICANT/dp/B018MR2FBE/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1463754689&sr=8-1&keywords=phono+lube

That's what you need for lubricating the gears, just use a q-tip and apply a little on each gear to keep it running smooth.

As far as your stylus you can take it out and use a fine artists paint brush, one like you'd use for model cars or something. Get some isopropyl alcohol and dip it in that and just brush the tip of the stylus real gentle. You should be able to shine the tip in the sunlight and see a reflection of the diamond tip. There is a small metal tip right behind the diamond tip, that little metal tip is what actually reads the disc, the diamond is just used for tracking. So make sure that little metal tip in nice and clean, a magnifying glass is helpful.

Hopefully this solves all your problems. Let me know if you have any questions or anything else arises.

Also as a note, you say the discs have not been played in 8 years or more. The discs have a layer of silicone sprayed on them at the factory to protect them from the diamond tip and vice versa. Over time that silicone will settle down in the grooves of the disc. The only way to fix this is to play the disc and a lot of times this will cause static and skipping and black outs. But after you play the disc once, sometimes twice, the silicone is redistributed and the disc will play fine after that.

Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: