CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long would it take...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpcayealmc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: How long would it take... Reply with quote

To watch all the content every published in the CED format? I'm hoping Tom will chime in on this because I think he has the most comprehensive collection. I've had an interesting thought, that if you never bought anything that was published on any format but CED you still wouldn't have enough time in your life to watch it all. What do you all think?

Thanks
DPC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, you'd have more than enough time.

Tom tells us there are about 1700 titles. If you boldly assume that each disc was filled to capacity of 2 hours (nowhere near the truth), then you would end up with ~3400 hours of content. If you watched one title every day (factoring in two- or more disc packages, as this still counts as one "title" instead of "disc", and offsets the shorter titles to a small degree) you would have something to watch every day for about 4.7 years.

If, however, you were to stack up your viewing end-to-end you would end up viewing for about 141 days, or not quite 5 months. Not quite a lifetime, but certainly a whole lot of viewing.

Once you start subtracting time for shorter movies or one-sided programs, you end up with considerably less. Unless someone databases program length for each title, this will remain a mystery.

I think you'd get closer to the goal of never running out of programming with LaserDisc (approaching 40,000 known titles, according to http://www.lddb.com, although a great number of these are separate versions of the same title). You definitely would never reach the end of VHS in one lifetime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: