CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you could only have one rare disc which would it be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

You can only have one, which one would you want?
Memories of Videodisc
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
A Walk Through the Universe
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Aloha Catch the Wave
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Aloha Disc, Blue Caddy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Aloha Disc, White Caddy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Savage Streets
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Story of O
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Southern California Sun Vacations
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Rocky Mountain Ski Vacations
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blue Service Disc
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
White Service Disc
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
One Avon Disc
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
One WWII Disc
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Other
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: If you could only have one rare disc which would it be? Reply with quote

There are a lot of rare discs out there. For this poll lets imagine you were forced to give away all your discs. You could only have one rare disc, which one would it be?

Another interesting topic might be how much would that one rare disc be worth to you?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god i want those ww2 cronkite discs so bad!!! i dont even care about the avons anymore!
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Southern CA Sun Vacations since that's one of three on the list I don't have (I also don't have the other Vacation discs or Story of O), but would likely be the most fun to watch.

If I could only keep ONE disc on the list though and have to get rid of all the others, I'd probably pick Memories just because it's the most historically significant.

I'd like to see the other Compuvision discs that were out, those have got to be ridiculously rare. I have one which was stuck inside a player for more than 20 years and isn't in perfect condition, both sides are the same and one side is trashed but the other at least plays (I have it on YouTube, just search for Compuvision CED.) I've also got the 3 video jukebox discs which are great just because I love 80s music videos; would like to know the story behind those as I don't know exactly what they were designed for.

Savage Streets is a good movie but it's available on other formats, and I've got the MGM laserdisc of Story of O. I'm wondering if the first reel looks as bad on the CED as it does on the laserdisc, the picture is very jittery but clears up after about 20 minutes which is where the reel change would have been. I would have recalled it just for that, never mind the content!
cedwaechter

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to have a video jukebox disc. Since nobody had cable at that time, videos were on broadcast TV everywhere. I think NBC had Friday Night Videos if I remember correctly. We enjoyed lots of beer watching those things every Friday. Also created what we called poor mans MTV. Turned the volume down on the TV and played tapes or records while watching the tube. It is amazing how easily music goes with almost any TV show and makes sense creating a story.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually quite surprised how spread out this poll is. I thought everyone would go for the Memories disc. I think some of you are selecting the disc that you would want most right now and not the disc you would want most if you didn't have any discs at all. But oh well, all in good fun.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know the story on the WWII discs- they were sold only through mail order, but they were also on VHS and Beta (with a lot more volumes) and I see those turn up in thrift stores a bit. Were the CEDs made in really low quantities or did next to nobody buy them? I got REALLY lucky when I got those, along with a bunch of other sealed discs and a never-used SGT-250 which is now my main player.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost think the WWII discs might have been made for that but then Readers Digest or where ever the ad was might have decided not to include the CED since the disc program was ending or something. It's probably not something RCA just printed a whole bunch of in hopes they would sell. They probably waited for the orders to come in then printed enough to match the orders. Could have been as little as 10 discs or something. John was saying at the workshop he thought there were only 70 Memories discs made. If that's the case it's amazing we have any at all. Jesse, you should post a front and back pic of the WWII discs. I'm curious what the differences are. I had the 2nd one I think it was. I got mine from a couple in CA that worked for RCA records which was later bought out by Sony. They said that RCA just send them some sample videodiscs for whatever reason, one was the WWII disc, and I also got A Walk Through the Universe from them. Ryan has my WWII disc now, I think he is still missing one of them.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front covers all look the same, but I'll post pictures this weekend hopefully. Didn't think about them possibly only making as many as were actually ordered. I got all 3 sealed with a bunch of other sealed discs (interesting variety as it included both musicals and the first Playboy disc) and a never-used SGT-250 player from someone in Arizona, would've liked to have known where they'd come from. Only one other person was bidding on it, that was before there were many people on here. (I've got a never-used Hitachi player too, seller said they bought it for their mom and she never used it!)

I had another WWII Volume 1 before that score, and I sold that on Ebay but only one person bid on it- they got it for $5 including shipping. Someone else had the set of 3 up for bid a few years before that but I didn't try for those or see what they went for. Someone was selling Story of O there around the same time too, don't know why I didn't at least try to get that.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah stuff like that pops up from time to time. Just a waiting game. I got my Ahoha discs on ebay. Got lucky because the seller hadn't listed them yet, they were in a pile of discs I saw on another listing so I messaged him about them and he said sure I'll post them for you. Got a good deal on those. Same thing happened with the Zenith VP4000's. I was looking through listings and someone had posted a VP2000 but when I read the description he said he had 2 other zenith players, 4000's. I was like hold the phone! What! So I messaged him and sure enough he said he had 2 VP4000 machines and a bunch of discs. Luckily he was only a few hours from me too so I made him an offer. He accepted and I went and got them. If I hadn't read the VP2000 listing I would have never known and who knows what would of became of them. Gotta keep an eye out for stuff like that.
Oreozapie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a memories disc go on Ebay for about $160, not too outrageous. I would like to get more standard movies before I were to jump on something like that tho. Another rare thing I would be looking for is the ROCKY special championship edition. I just like the box sets for some reason, looks nice I suppose.

Does anyone know how many box sets there were released? I have only seen a few of them.

Jesus Of Nazareth
Holocaust
ROCKY
Swan Lake Ballet
Interactive discs
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to our parent site, cedmagic.com might tell you, if you weren't aware of it to get here in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: