CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who collects PAL titles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Who collects PAL titles? Reply with quote

I got a PAL Player a couple years ago or so and have about 20 or 30 titles. They are too expensive to ship to try and collect them all but there are a lot of really cool PAL titles that never got a NTSC release. Not really sure why. I have been going through ebay for the last couple of months and taking screen shots of the covers. I am compiling a database of all the PAL title covers. I will upload it and post links when it is complete. I still have about 70 PAL covers yet to find. But here are a few cool ones to wet your whistle.

<P>

<P>

<P>[/img]
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awe-some! id love to have the pal library one day, but its not a huge item on my list... always interested in seeing a new caddy though!
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since these were still made in Indiana, I wonder how many ones were left there? They were pretty hard to play in the US back then, but nowadays many HDTVs can display a PAL signal with no problems- in fact most of the ones that don't have it intentionally disabled, just to be annoying.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Joan Collins! The catfight with Krystal was great, especially when Blake pulled up in his limo and chastised the both of them as being unladylike (and I'm sure he was hiding a mile wide grin in his mind).

THAT was TV Worth Watching.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my PAL database is coming along quite nicely. I have just been watching ebay and taking the pictures from there. Trying to acquire a picture of every title. So far out of 272 PAL Titles I am only missing 30. Once I get them all I will make a visual database like Tom has for the NTSC titles. At least that way people can see what they all look like. There are a lot of titles released on both PAL and NTSC that have different art work. Also a lot of titles released in Stereo on PAL but only mono on NTSC. Plus the PAL titles have more time per side so there are no 2-disc PAL titles, which is nice. If only the players weren't so hard to get and the titles so expensive to ship I think I would have a mighty substantial PAL collection.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two Videostars discs are essential, though the first one is only in mono. I'm still trying to find Thomas Dolby Live Wireless since he's one of my favorite artists and I have that concert in almost every format it's been on. Sounds like the format was out for less than a year over there.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah John said every PAL CED was created in a span of 6 months. That's pretty crazy to think about. That means art work was created, film was transferred, masters were made, pressed, packaged and shipped, all in 6 months, 272 titles, and who knows how many copies of each title. That's crazy. I was shocked when John said that. Here I assumed they made a couple titles here and a couple there throughout the length of the CED program but nope, 6 months and done for PAL titles. You know there is a 3rd music disc right Jesse, there is Video Hits, Video Stars, and Videotheque, and your beloved Picture Music disc was released on PAL as well. I have not seen the Thomas Dolby disc yet either.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so pal discs probably never had the variances in them, like 2 labels, or alternate labels, or physical changes to the label...
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine they would unless there was a typo and an employee caught it mid run or something. I doubt they did more than one run of any one title.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im curious are PAL videodiscs and VHS/BETA tapes PLAYED @ THE RIGHT SPEED IF THEY ARE PLAYED ON A PAL MACHINE?? (All I have heard is PAL stuff thats TOO FAST and im wondering if when played ON THE PAL STUFF,it IS the right speed)
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard ALL PAL movies (any format, including DVD) are technically too fast, but I still haven't watched enough of them to notice. I do have both the NTSC and PAL (from Italy) DVDs of the unaltered Star Wars, and the PAL disc runs a bit shorter than the NTSC.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya thats what I thought (Someone told me the other day that on PAL machines the speed is correct like it is on NTSC machines)
jsdspif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper Carrott looks alot like "fast" Eddie Clarke, former guitarist of Motorhead???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: